• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Imidazenil- A near perfect functional benzodiazapine

Dr Jekyll

Greenlighter
Greetings Travelers,
One day, I promise to compile a comprehensive overview of my near-decade of experiences with a matrix of psychoactive compounds. Today, however, I would like to prevent an experience report for a most peculiar compound. This post is well over a year in the making and, unless I am mistaken, I am the only human being who has experience Imidazenil.
So how did we get here?
There are many researchers on the nootropics subreddit well known for their extensive knowledge regarding GABA based anxiolytics. Their posts, which are easy to search for, piqued my interest which quickly propelled into a passionate obsession. I will avoid delving too much into my interest in GABA based anxiolytics but years of seeing friends lost to alcohol, watched others spiral out on certain benzodiazepines, reading Phenibut withdrawal horror stories, and, at the end of the day, feeling very not alone in wanting a better, safer, therapeutic anxiolytic.

Enter GABAA positive allosteric modulators
This excellent post written by u/CL20 was perhaps my first exposure to understanding benzodiazepine agonism/antagonism and the subunits of GABAA. I highly encourage everyone reading this to read his overview of GABAA subunits. The salient note is that agonism of the GABAA a1 subunit is most susceptible to tolerance buildup and addiction as well as responsible for sedation and memory impairment.

Further reading:
Valium without dependence? Individual GABAA receptor subtype contribution toward benzodiazepine addiction, tolerance, and therapeutic effects
In the light of current evidence, α1 dormant, α2, α3, and α5 subtype partial agonists not only possess low abuse potential but are also low or devoid of tolerance building. There is evidence that α1 containing GABAA receptors directly contributes to the downstream effects of tolerance because α1 (H101R) mice have been shown to maintain expressions in neuroplasticity-coding transcripts after diazepam administration.120 This perfectly agrees with data from animal studies regarding the lack of tolerance in α1 subtype inactive compounds such as TPA023B and imidazenil.121–126 Future drug discovery involving tranquilizers should look for partial agonists of α2 , α3 , and α5 containing GABAA receptors; Valium without its side effects is potentially achievable.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5973310/pdf/ndt-14-1351.pdf

From Wikipedia:

Imidazenil[1] is an experimental anxiolytic drug which is derived from the benzodiazepine family, and is most closely related to other imidazobenzodiazepines such as midazolam, flumazenil, and bretazenil.
Imidazenil is a highly potent benzodiazepine receptor partial agonist[2] with an unusual profile of effects, producing some of the effects associated with normal benzodiazepines such as anticonvulsant and anxiolytic effects, yet without any notable sedative or amnestic[3] effects. In fact, Imidazenil blocks the sedative effects of diazepam, yet without lowering the convulsion threshold,[4] and so potentially could be a more flexible antidote than the antagonist flumazenil which is commonly used to treat benzodiazepine overdose at present.
Imidazenil has not yet been developed commercially for use in humans, however it has been suggested as a safe and effective treatment for anxiety,[5] a potent yet non-sedating anticonvulsant which might be particularly useful in the treatment of poisoning with organophosphate nerve agents,[6][7] and as a novel treatment for schizophrenia.[8]

Experience:
The synthesis for Imidazenil was not easy or quick. Nevertheless, I received a tested batch of the compound and have been evaluating it at various dosages. In my experience, the literature appears accurate. Here are my key takeaways after several weeks of near-daily use at various dosages, but mostly 500mcg-1.5mg. I rarely felt the need to increase my dosage beyond:
  • A tremendous reduction in anxiety and ruminating thoughts. Very direct and targeted in this regard. If I could compare the anxiolytic effects to anything, I find 1mg of Imidazenil to be akin to ~1g of Phenibut combined with 50mg of Fasoracetam.
  • No noticeable tolerance buildup whatsoever. Does not appear to synergize with alcohol….at all? THIS IS EXTREMELY ILL-ADVISED so please stay safe and don’t be stupid. However, I find Imidazenil appears to increasemy tolerance to alcohol rather than decrease it. While I am obviously on the more cavalier side of this community, there is something about the effects of this compound that do not compel me to increase the dosage. I found the Goldilocks zone out of the box and have essentially stayed there.
    • Potential restoration of tolerance for other GABAergic compounds.
  • I never experienced any loss of coordination, amnesia, or hypnotic effects. Again, it echoes the nootropic aspects of Fasoracetam.
  • Definite and noticeable dopaminergic modulation. This compound plays excellently with all stimulants I combined it with, from pre-workouts to phenidates. Akin to caffeine + L-Theanine, Imidizaneil + DRIs produce a much less jaggy experience. It almost reminds me of certain effects with low-dose Naltrexone.
  • Paradoxical effects on energy. It wakes me up in the morning while nuking fogginess. It helps me fall asleep quicker and stay asleep.
  • Increased libido and performance in the bed very similar to Phenibut. I have not noticed increased libido from any other GABAergic that I can think of.
  • Discontinuation without tapering for over a week with no ill-effects.
  • I am significantly less chatty on this compound. In social situations, I am clearly engaged but rather quiet. This is atypical for me.
Conclusion:
It is nice to finally experience another “next-generation” compound since the NSI-189, Dihexa, and P21 days. I realize this will be flagged as “high-risk” (as it should be), but as someone who previously vilified benzodiazepines and never considered seeking them out, I please encourage the more responsible members of this community to realize what this compound may mean for the safety of millions seeking relief from anxiety.
This is truly a special compound that is an improvement to traditional benzodiazepine anxiolytics in every way I can think of. By no means am I planning on staying on this for the rest of my life, but out of all my experiences with the subject matter related to this sub, this has been by far the most rewarding, interesting, and potentially game-changing discovery.

Addendum: There's really nothing euphoric about this compound. In fact, it seems to smoothen out dopaminergics, and create a calm and serene midset.

I tried doses up to 15mg, and no blackout. It doesn't fuck you up like other benzos, which is nice if you mistake a dose. Everything about it screams of safe and calm reduction in anxiety without brain fog, withdrawals, or need for tapering.

This is very interesting. If indeed it is possible to have the abxiety relief effects of a benzo, without the intoxication and especially the dependence, that would be amazing for some people.

Yes.game changing. In a good way I suppose.if the anti anxiety effect can be felt without the benzo high or other negative effects it'll be a great thing for medicine.

It's ideal because it can negate the horrid benzo withdrawals. And, it feels like souped-up Phenibut with some Fascoracetam.

PM me if interested in more info regarding the stuff. I feel like a preacher, given how I almost died from a lorazepam W/D.

This thread is a followup on a successful synthesis of this compound mentioned some time ago in another thread:

Proof of authenticity:

5gTYeha.png

New report here:

After a few days of amnesic use I have to share my experience here, considering it is nothing like what is described in the OP.
"A tremendous reduction in anxiety and ruminating thoughts. Very direct and targeted in this regard. If I could compare the anxiolytic effects to anything, I find 1mg of Imidazenil to be akin to ~1g of Phenibut combined with 50mg of Fasoracetam."
Fantastic anxiolysis, yes. However, the side effects ruin the expected clean anxiolysis.
"No noticeable tolerance buildup whatsoever. Does not appear to synergize with alcohol….at all? THIS IS EXTREMELY ILL-ADVISED so please stay safe and don’t be stupid. However, I find Imidazenil appears to increase my tolerance to alcohol rather than decrease it. While I am obviously on the more cavalier side of this community, there is something about the effects of this compound that do not compel me to increase the dosage. I found the Goldilocks zone out of the box and have essentially stayed there."
Don't know about mixing with alcohol
"Potential restoration of tolerance for other GABAergic compounds."
Don't know
"I never experienced any loss of coordination, amnesia, or hypnotic effects. Again, it echoes the nootropic aspects of Fasoracetam."
This is the far from my experience. I experienced moderate to strong sedation, minor-moderate loss of coordination, minor-moderate amnesia, and minor, maybe moderate, hypnotic effects. So far, for me and others, this has been a full blown benzo. The compound is in no way a nootropic for me. I wish it was different.
"Definite and noticeable dopaminergic modulation. This compound plays excellently with all stimulants I combined it with, from pre-workouts to phenidates. Akin to caffeine + L-Theanine, Imidizaneil + DRIs produce a much less jaggy experience. It almost reminds me of certain effects with low-dose Naltrexone."
Nothing like my experience. I have been in an half-amnesic daze the past 2-3 days that I have tried using this stuff. Dopaminergic modulation? Not that I can tell, unfortunately.
"Paradoxical effects on energy. It wakes me up in the morning while nuking fogginess. It helps me fall asleep quicker and stay asleep."
No experience of wakefulness here. Sleep effects experienced as with all benzos.
"Increased libido and performance in the bed very similar to Phenibut. I have not noticed increased libido from any other GABAergic that I can think of."
I've experienced literally the opposite of this. I haven't been able to get it up for the past two days with my partner
"Discontinuation without tapering for over a week with no ill-effects."
Not sure about this. I have no desire to continue using this in any situation other then when long term (think 18hr+ anxiolysis and sedation) is needed.
"I am significantly less chatty on this compound. In social situations, I am clearly engaged but rather quiet. This is atypical for me."
I have nothing to say about this

In conclusion, I can't really tell a difference between this and other long lasting benzos. Some of the effects have lasted 18+ hours for me. Amnesia has not been so bad as to forget completely what I've done, but the past few days are a definite blur, and I've slept 14 and then 12 hours easily (which my body needs/needed, but still.)
I'm looking at pyrazolam next as a functional benzo.

Last edited:
Yeah, doesn't sound all too versatile or functional anymore. Glad it worked so well for op, but I'm starting to wonder wether there's a mr Hyde with ulterior motives. I guess I'm just paranoid.

Yeah, doesn't sound all too versatile or functional anymore. Glad it worked so well for op, but I'm starting to wonder wether there's a mr Hyde with ulterior motives. I guess I'm just paranoid.
No ulterior motives as it would be impossible for me to know beforehand the atypicality of this compound. As always, your milage may vary.

I dosed this compound in extremely high doses myself to see if withdrawls are an issue and if I was scammed bu the lab that produced it. No withdrawls along with confirmation that it's bona fide Imidazenil.

Cheers.

I suspect that the variation in experiences is due mainly to prior use of other benzos and tolerance.

That's about all I can surmise at the moment.

So low abuse potential? Any notable disinhibition? Speed of onset?

Could it potentially precipitate withdrawal in a benzodiazepine dependent individual?

So low abuse potential? Any notable disinhibition? Speed of onset?

Could it potentially precipitate withdrawal in a benzodiazepine dependent individual?
Yes, low abuse potential. Disinhibition seems low given lack of sedation and hypnotic properties. Onset 5 to 10 minutes.

Nope, I think it can actually help with withdrawls from other benzos...

It can help benzo withdrawal? In what way?

Is it like how a valium taper might help a high dose xanax habit but ultimately just replacing one benzo for another more suitable one but withdrawals will start again upon cessation of valium.

Or is it more like how pregabalin (not a perfect comparison I know) might negate the wd symptoms without actually stimulating the same offending receptors??

It can help benzo withdrawal? In what way?

Is it like how a valium taper might help a high dose xanax habit but ultimately just replacing one benzo for another more suitable one but withdrawals will start again upon cessation of valium.

Or is it more like how pregabalin (not a perfect comparison I know) might negate the wd symptoms without actually stimulating the same offending receptors??

More like pregabalin I think. It's a partial agonist at the alpha5 subunit, and I suspect some downstream/modulating effects on alpha1&3 subunits that are internalized after prolonged agonism by the typical full agonists.

This looks to amazing/awesome to be true. But if its all true about this drug its fucking AWESOME. A life saving... I'm trully looking forward about this.

I had two friends try this stuff and they both found it quite amnesic and hypnotic. Functional would not be the word to use, unless dosed at 0.1-0.3mg. Sedative and hypnotic effects were noticed by concerned friends of said friends at doses as low as 0.4mg. My friends are unsure what to think considering how different their experiences were to what has been shared here and on reddit. They both dosed anywhere from 0.5-0.75mg a day for three days and weeks later noticed they remember nothing from those days. Also, it's long in duration. One of said friends has extensive experience with etizolam and thinks etizolam is just as functional as this is. At least, what he got. They have doubts as to the legitimacy of the chemical considering the drastic incongruence between their experiences and what has been shared online.