• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I'm in initial stages of benzo withdrawal. If I go to E.R. now, what will they do?

personally think the op needs to look at the options at hand
i went through a gov funded detox program and that shit wasnt shown because of the privacy agreement i signed hell i even told the detox center if there was any trace of me attending i wasnt gonna go through with it and that info wasnt seen only ER records why i suggest a detox center
but if there is nothing to lose have at it and get help from a ER only thing youll get is help and a big ass medical bill

They DO give IV ativan at hospitals, I myself have gotten a few doses of IV ativan.

Deos, I'm pretty sure them looking through your medical records is illegal. HPPA and all that. Them denying you for a job over that seems kinda sketchy to me.

Anyhoo, I feel like there is a lot of scare mongering going on here.

The truth of the matter is in the US, they have to detox you from benzos. I wouldn't worry about your record. It's a private medical file. Afaik they aren't centralized yet. I've been on suboxone and been to detox a couple of times. No flags on my record yet. Most docs I go to don't even ask for prior medical records. I could still easily get benzo and adderall scripts if that's what I wanted.

You should always go to a hospital and or detox for benzo withdrawal if you are addicted. I really don't understand why everyone on this board just doesn't bite the fucking bullet and take care of themselves. Count your lucky stars you aren't in jail and actually have that option to go to the hospital. If you are addicted to benzos you are going to have a hard fucking time tapering. Talk about a slow death. They won't just stick you in a chair to make sure you don't have a seizure, they are required by law to detox you because they know you can die. Give up the fight, don't worry about the bill, don't worry about your record. Big deal, if you can't get a benzo script anymore. I went to the hospital a couple years ago to the ER and I didn't pay my bill. Nothing on my credit either. I've heard they aren't putting that on your credit anymore and they didn't put it on mine. Thanks Obama. Tell them you are coming off of alcohol too. They medicate you the best for that and you will be comfortable. You need to be supervised. None of this 'do it yourself at home with depakote or something' because it ain't gonna work. Take care of yourself and get the help you need.

Best of luck.

Be careful with gabapentin too. There have been a few people on this board that leave the detox center with gaba scripts. Taking high doses of the stuff and find themselves having to kick another drug after the fact. I think there may be some correlation between benzo abuse and having a tough kick with gaba. Make no mistake, kicking gabapentin for some people i just as bad as benzos. It's kind of like opiate and benzos at the same time. Pretty much hell if you are sensitive to the withdrawal. Watch out for that.

Last edited:
Deos, I'm pretty sure them looking through your medical records is illegal. HPPA and all that. Them denying you for a job over that seems kinda sketchy to me.

The truth of the matter is in the US, they have to detox you from benzos. I wouldn't worry about your record. It's a private medical file. Afaik they aren't centralized yet. I've been on suboxone and been to detox a couple of times. No flags on my record yet. Most docs I go to don't even ask for prior medical records. I could still easily get benzo and adderall scripts if that's what I wanted.

You should always go to a hospital and or detox for benzo withdrawal if you are addicted. I really don't understand why everyone on this board just doesn't bite the fucking bullet and take care of themselves. Count your lucky stars you aren't in jail and actually have that option to go to the hospital. If you are addicted to benzos you are going to have a hard fucking time tapering. Talk about a slow death. They won't just stick you in a chair to make sure you don't have a seizure, they are required by law to detox you because they know you can die. Give up the fight, don't worry about the bill, don't worry about your record. Big deal, if you can't get a benzo script anymore. I went to the hospital a couple years ago to the ER and I didn't pay my bill. Nothing on my credit either. I've heard they aren't putting that on your credit anymore and they didn't put it on mine. Thanks Obama. Tell them you are coming off of alcohol too. They medicate you the best for that and you will be comfortable. You need to be supervised. None of this 'do it yourself at home with depakote or something' because it ain't gonna work. Take care of yourself and get the help you need.

Best of luck.

Be careful with gabapentin too. There have been a few people on this board that leave the detox center with gaba scripts. Taking high doses of the stuff and find themselves having to kick another drug after the fact. I think there may be some correlation between benzo abuse and having a tough kick with gaba. Make no mistake, kicking gabapentin for some people i just as bad as benzos. It's kind of like opiate and benzos at the same time. Pretty much hell if you are sensitive to the withdrawal. Watch out for that.

well not illegal when you give permission to do so
what would be kind of sketchy for me to deny them asking if they can take a look
by me doing so in the eyes of the employer that is screams ....what does he have to hide ???
oh well i still didnt get the job ha
cruel how things don't work out in your favor... i was over qualified and they looked at me like i was a liability smh
i guess i can agree now do what the fuck you gotta do to get better

personally i wouldnt go. If you can get something like ativan and maybe have ur GF/BF hold onto it so you dont abuse it and ween urself off with something like ativan or klonopin.

Also probably a good idea to throw in some gabapentin in there for anti-seizure and it will help with withdrawal.

Wish you the best of luck, ive quit cold turkey before and it sucked (i know you can die i couldnt afford to go to the doctor at the time)

So if you got anti-seizure meds and something like kava kava you could skip the doctors.

Best of luck.

I'm in Australia and it's totally normal for people with everything from broken legs to burst appendices to currently occurring pregnancy loss to be given the "sit in this chair and we'll keep an eye on you" treatment. Emergency departments may have more capacity to deal with non-life-threatening emergencies where you are, but down here they're struggling to find beds for even the people who are at high risk of death.

personally i wouldnt go. If you can get something like ativan and maybe have ur GF/BF hold onto it so you dont abuse it and ween urself off with something like ativan or klonopin.

Also probably a good idea to throw in some gabapentin in there for anti-seizure and it will help with withdrawal.

Wish you the best of luck, ive quit cold turkey before and it sucked (i know you can die i couldnt afford to go to the doctor at the time)

So if you got anti-seizure meds and something like kava kava you could skip the doctors.
I'm sorry not trying to be dick but I disagree totally. If it was so easy to ween himself off why wouldn't he/she have done it with original script instead of slamming it down. Giving it to ones partner isn't much better because they are usually codependent and easy to manipulate. Op needs to go to a detox!

I'm sorry not trying to be dick but I disagree totally. If it was so easy to ween himself off why wouldn't he/she have done it with original script instead of slamming it down. Giving it to ones partner isn't much better because they are usually codependent and easy to manipulate. Op needs to go to a detox!

detox would be good, but what if he has no money detox places are expensive.

I Would see if you coud get something to taper with orderr someithing from online ike clonazoam or diclizeapam because of thier long half-flife, have someone hold on to it and taper off. Or go to a doctor and try to get Gabapentin, it supposedy helps benzo w/ds. It's an un-schedled substane so they hand it out like candy, but it's also an anti-seicere medication.

Since you're addicted to benzos and withdrawing, go to an ER or even a state run detox run facility where there are medical professionals, and don't attempt to detox/taper on your own, either with the benzos you have, or anything you can hypothetically order online. People have died from benzo withdrawal and had grand-mal seizures from it. Stay safe.

detox would be good, but what if he has no money detox places are expensive.
I probably wrongly assumed that the whole country was like my state where's by law the detox has an obligation to take all patients an ability to pay makes no difference( Live in U.S.). If I'm wrong my apologies!

I'm in Australia and it's totally normal for people with everything from broken legs to burst appendices to currently occurring pregnancy loss to be given the "sit in this chair and we'll keep an eye on you" treatment. Emergency departments may have more capacity to deal with non-life-threatening emergencies where you are, but down here they're struggling to find beds for even the people who are at high risk of death.

That's crazy man, here in the US it may be hard to find a bed, but there is no shortage of detox centers. Benzo addicts are pretty common here.

OP, if you go to the ER or detox and they won't treat you, you aren't saying the right things. Make a fuss. Just sayin.

"believe it or not i went after 2 diff jobs and got denied because they looked at my complete background which included my medical history...crazy right?
they clearly saw i had a boozing prob which i completely fucked up and went to the ER for alcohol WD which at the time i thought was worth going into the ER for"

In the US? Recently? If so, and you were equally qualified as the applicant who got the job (kind of subjective, I know) then using your mental health history to deny you a job should be a violation of ADA protections for the disabled, you have a metal disability - alcohol dependence, and as long as you're in remission as verified by a physician than you should not be denied a job. They could UA you b/f hiring including for EtOH metabolites, which reveals even a single drink up to several days later - I know this from probation problems I've had.

I'm not an attorney, but this is my understanding. I believe this had only been in effect a couple years, part/prior of the ACA and changes to federal employment law under Obama.

In the US? Recently? If so, and you were equally qualified as the applicant who got the job (kind of subjective, I know) then using your mental health history to deny you a job should be a violation of ADA protections for the disabled, you have a metal disability - alcohol dependence, and as long as you're in remission as verified by a physician than you should not be denied a job. They could UA you b/f hiring including for EtOH metabolites, which reveals even a single drink up to several days later - I know this from probation problems I've had.

I'm not an attorney, but this is my understanding. I believe this had only been in effect a couple years, part/prior of the ACA and changes to federal employment law under Obama.

If it's something in the medical profession or law enforcement I think it's different. I was in the Navy and when I had to get a security clearance they dug up everything from my past(thank god I wasn't an addict then),including med records and interviewing friends and family.