• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I'm in initial stages of benzo withdrawal. If I go to E.R. now, what will they do?

Stimlover22

Bluelighter
I'm starting to withdraw pretty hard from benzos, I have a massive tolerance. I've consumed my entire restoril prescription in 24 hours. That was yesterday. I'm starting to feel funny, headache.. severe hand tremors.. hearing changes and vision distortions.. muscle aches.
Luckily, I found one 15mg Temazepam pill that I had dropped yesterday, thank god! I just took it 10 minutes ago and drank a 40oz beer. I'm starting to panic about an impending seizure.

If I go to the emergency room now, what will they do? Is it just anxiety right now? Will they treat me like a second class citizen drug addict or refer me to a detox facility? I don't feel well at all.

They will more than likely refer you to a detox facility, doctors don't like giving out benzos. But who knows, you may get lucky and get a script.. I wouldn't count on it though. You definitely need to seek medical attention because benzo withdrawal can kill you, and even if it doesn't you will be extremely uncomfortable for quite awhile. Good luck

If you go to the hospital, they'll probably give you an anti-seizure medicine. No drugs, for sure.. it is an ER after all. AND, you eat all your script benzos.

That's good then, I want nothing to do with benzos anymore. IF they just give me an anticonvulsant of some sort, I would be more than grateful knowing I don't have to worry about an impending grand mal seizure. I'm just physically addicted to benzos, there is no mental addiction to them when it comes to myself. I am not trying to score more benzos, if they just give me some depakote and refer me to a detox center to start a taper of some sort.. that would be awesome.

Benzos make an opiate habit look like tame. It's not cold turkey so much as frozen cormorant. Alcohol does help since it binds to the a5 GABA receptor but it doesn't touch the other. Drinking also brings down your seizure threshold. Basically, if you have a tonic-clonic seizure and end up in hospital, a UK doctor would have to stabilize because if they sign you off & you have a fatal seizure - they are to blame.

If you are having myoclonic jerks (which can happen overnight) you will likely get clonazepam or clobazam. Myoclonic jerks are about the only illness that requires benzos. I got mine (from genuine myoclonic jerks - cause unknown) and they explained that they were starting me on 1.5mg clonazepam. I went back to doctor 3 days later and asked if I could increase dose because I got jerks in my sleep, which woke me up EVERY NIGHT.

I ended up on 8mg of clonazepam per day. It took some fiddling with the doctor (asking for 1/2mg as well as 2mg) but it really is serious. Opiates - you FEEL like you're dying. Benzos - they will kill you. Avoid alcohol.

I'm sure they will refer you to detox and if you want to quit you need to go.Benzos aren't something you should try to kick cold turkey yourself they can kill you!

I'm sure they will refer you to detox and if you want to quit you need to go.Benzos aren't something you should try to kick cold turkey yourself they can kill you!

Props for telling IT like IT is.

Myoclonic jerks WILL be just 1 side-effect and is the only way to get benzos. Alcohol is more likely to end up in death. If you can, buy a few boxes of clomethiazole or phenobarbitone off the net. The former > the latter.

Anything I can do, just ask,
CC

Imo they will give you a dose of either Diazepam or Lorazepam IV just so you dont get a seizure while You're on their property. For the sake of them not getting sued.
They will not give you a script, since you do abuse benzos.
So ya they will probly give you 1 dose during your visit so you can at least make it safely to a detox facility they're going to refer you to. That's just my 2 cents.

they wont give you shit but refer you to a detox center or if you are in distress prob IM of ativan
as much as you wanna quit a taper would be the safest way to detox

Last edited:
they wont give you shit but refer you to a detox center or if you are in distress prob iv of ativan
as much as you wanna quit a taper would be the safest way to detox
I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious,isn't Ativan (besides orally of course) only given IM? I was in hospital for opiate withdrawals(many moons ago) and that's how they gave it to me.

I'm not trying to be argumentative just curious,isn't Ativan (besides orally of course) only given IM? I was in hospital for opiate withdrawals(many moons ago) and that's how they gave it to me.
forgive my typo you are correct its given via IM not IV
yes i went for alcohol WD and got it IM

I've SEEN people IV benzos - it's like all the lights went out. Find a EU friend to forward diclazepam (longest acting RC benzo) to help. It's no cure but I 100% bet that when the law changes (90 days notice). diclazepam will fly off the shelves.

They'll probably just stick you in a chair and "observe" you in case you have a seizure. I don't know what the hospital system is like where you are, but beds are pretty scarce in our local public hospital and they generally only admit to a bed when it's something really serious. They also don't like prescribing to ER visitors as outpatients.

I mean, there are worse places to be than the ER if you're worried you're going to have a seizure, but don't expect particularly hands on care if you do go there.

When I was admitted to the ER earlier this year for a suicide attempt I lied and said I was addicted to benzos. They gave me a 6 day Ativan taper while I was on the acute phych floor. I don't advocate lying usually but in cases like this the system is so fucked that you gotta do what you gotta do.

well shit now thinking about it i went twice for alcohol WD first time i got IM a shot of ativan on my arm
second time time i had an IV in my arm and the nurse gave me a dose of ativan into the IV i had in my arm so i guess it depends of the severity of things
the second time time i got it via IV i was having a full blown panic attack the rush from the ativan was instant not to confuse users to try and IV pill form ativan as the tablets form what i gather can't be IV'd or dangerous and not worth it
im sure ER's have a different form of ativan to IV or IM

When I was admitted to the ER earlier this year for a suicide attempt I lied and said I was addicted to benzos. They gave me a 6 day Ativan taper while I was on the acute phych floor. I don't advocate lying usually but in cases like this the system is so fucked that you gotta do what you gotta do.

shit although that is an option i highly highly advise against that because that shit goes on your record like a stain as the say shit like that is written in pen not pencil
guess you have to choose whether its worth it or not
ps i have seen that floor itll make a detox center look like a resort i was given the option to detox there but i convinced the nurse to let me see the floor i would be detoxing in and shit.....it wasnt pretty before i get shit
detoxing for me involves me being in a semi calm environment but that floor that floor i was shown fuuuuuuck that
might differ from state to state but from my exp in a real detox center ill choose a detox center any day over the ER

Last edited:
^does that permanent record shit even matter anymore? I mean, I have admitted to IV heroin use in the ER, and even so it's been nothing but morphine and methadone to treat my pain for about 3 years...

^does that permanent record shit even matter anymore? I mean, I have admitted to IV heroin use in the ER, and even so it's been nothing but morphine and methadone to treat my pain for about 3 years...

harsh reality of my personal answer leads to
again is it worth it?? i do have some type of rep to upkeep i am a successful person that has a secret boozing prob
believe it or not i went after 2 diff jobs and got denied because they looked at my complete background which included my medical history...crazy right?
they clearly saw i had a boozing prob which i completely fucked up and went to the ER for alcohol WD which at the time i thought was worth going into the ER for