• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Human beings are the only earth bound 'animal' to administer drugs to their own harm.

mydrugbuddy

Bluelighter
I think I read this in a medical text book. I think its total bullshit.

I'm sure I've read other articles about experiments done on rats and mice where they have two buttons to press within their little cages. One button would administer food and / or water, the other would administer cocaine, or methamphetamine, or any addictive but highly pleasurable drug. These studies showed that the rodents would keep on pressing the drugs button, forgoing all nourishment, until they came to a very premature death.

I think you are talking about the often cited one where they where given the opportunity to self-administer coke or heroin by pressing a button. Those on coke kept at it until the ODed, those on heroin pressed the button and headed off to the corner to goof off a bit, returning to the button when the effects wore off.

There are cases of elephants eating fermenting apples for the alcohol and I' sure there are other cases. However, I do think the is something unique in man's search for chemicals and the lengths we will go to.

I'm pretty sure we're the only species to have utilised the catalytic converter too.

Wasn't there a story on here about bears sniffing empty fuel barrels? Either that's an old textbook or it's a ridiculous claim.

Few pints - Indian - wrecking spree = normal night out for a lot of people ?

According to the Pioneer newspaper, the "jumbos" are known "for their love of local country-made brews" which they "gulp down and make merry at the expense of the villagers" hahah those crafty jumbos and their merry making

^ A fact brought to world attention in this classic documentary. They drink to forget, dontcha know.

Saw a documentary about animals and drugs ages ago. Had the drunken elephants, obviously. But one that intrigued me were monkeys that live near tourist resorts. Whole troops have taken to not only taking leftover alcoholic drinks but actually running up to tables and nicking 'em. But what was really intriguing were the rates at which they did it. Troops that exhibit this behaviour have been quite well studied and has been shown that the ratio of monkeys who drink moderately compared to those who become dependent and those who choose not to drink alcohol at all is the same as it is in humans.

Also, reindeers famously eat Amanitas and livestock eat mushies - in fact I sure I remember reading that some actively seek out mushies in season. Numerous species have been observed getting wasted in any way they have access to. Often to the point of causing themselves severe harm - even becoming addicted if enough is available and they have a real taste for it.

That clever/sarcastic remark is way off though. Animals do seek out alcohol, as several anecdotes above have mentioned. There are studies documenting the rats/mice/monkeys preference for drugs over food and water, when given the choice. Dogs are known to love a bowl of beer if their owner decides to give it some.

Sheep will devour bacon sandwiches if the farmer leaves them lying around. Just because they dont often get the chance to eat bacon sandwiches it doesnt mean they wont/cant/don't.

Its nowhere near as barmy as a mouse inventing a sophisticated bit of technology at all. If agreeing with women meant you get a shag, then i wouldnt be getting one today...

Ignore me MDB. I am in a shite mood and have been for 24 hours. Really, the world can fuck off. And I have no place ruining your thread. All the best.

OK fair enough. Hope things improve after your evening meal, evening substances, or a good nights sleep. There wasnt any ruination - everyone is free to express their opinion.

Lighten up, its hardly a thread about your dead granny.

And anyway I'm a bloke.

Wash yer cock SHM, you've pulled.

And those animals aren't eating/drinking to get wasted, they're eating/drinking cos they're programmed to consume calories/fluids and it tastes pleasant.

Thread title is confusing. Should be a "not" in there somewhere, right?

I remember someone telling me once that dolphins, given access to unlimited cocaine, will manage to take breaks to eat, sleep etc and not press the leaver until they die. Quite probably bollocks though, I can't see anyone getting ethical approval to do that.

Dolphins on Acid - thread tickled me greatly at the time :D

Of course there's always John Lilly...

DJB: Have you ever given ketamine to a dolphin?

JOHN: No. I gave them acid to see if it would knock out their respiration. It didn't. I couldn't understand what was happening to them on LSD except for one thing they did. They turned around along the tank at the same time, and suddenly they turned their beaks down and turned on their sonar straight downwards. I remember on my first acid trip that suddenly the floor disappeared and I saw the stars on the other side of the earth, so I stamped my foot on the floor to find it. That's what they were doing.

Also, the dolphin Pam had been spear-gunned three limes by Ricco Browny in the "Flipper" series. The first time, Pam went over to Browny and pulled the spear from him. The second time, she took one look at him and turned away. The third time she ran like mad and wouldn't go near him or any humans. It was just awful. So when we got her she was staying away from us with the other dolphins. So I gave her LSD and she climbed all over us. It was marvelous.

Boy, I've been trying to stop talking about dolphins. I was enslaved by them for twenty years and now I'm trying to avoid them for a while. But I can't. People like you come out and remind me of them.

(taken from this interview)

The Rosella's around here get high on the fermented nectar and fall off their perches or fly into windows. I wish they would just fuck off home and beat their feathered wives but instead they just goof around in the trees outside my window and make a tit of themselves

AMBS%20-%20Crimson%20Rosella%20(Pla.jpg