• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How to make LSI or Lysergic Acid Isovaleraldemide at home

Can't work out if OP has a really dry sense of humour, is deluded or is a fantasist.

It's a bold statement to claim to be a trained chemist while displaying a utter lack of even an iota of understanding of the subject and simply choosing to ignore anyone who points out said glaring faults.

Another one for the ignore list.

If anybody wants near pure LAH, all they have to do is obtain a fungus called Metarhizium brunneum and culture it on agar. LAH probably metabolizes into LAA[1] (although someone posted an interesting argument against this[2]), however, perhaps Peter Webster's LAA equlibrium hypothesis should be taken into account before dismissing LAH.[3]

The fungus Metarhizium brunneum produces ergot alkaloids of the lysergic acid amide class, most abundantly lysergic acid α-hydroxyethylamide (LAH).

...the plant root symbiont and insect pathogen
Metarhizium brunneum produces ergonovine and LAH, with the concentration of LAH dwarfing that of ergonovine by approximately 200 to 1[5, 6].

Contribution of a novel gene to lysergic acid amide synthesis in Metarhizium brunneum. Britton, K.N., Steen, C.R., Davis, K.A., Sampson, J.K., Panaccione, D.G. BMC Res Notes 15, 183 (2022). doi: 10.1186/s13104-022-06068-2

Isolates of M. brunneum and M. anisopliae accumulated the lysergic acid amides lysergic acid α-hydroxyethyl amide, ergine, and ergonovine on sucrose-yeast extract agar but not on two other tested media.

Metarhizium spp. produce ergot alkaloids in culture in an isolate-specific manner. Three of 10 tested isolates of M. brunneum accumulated the ergot alkaloids lysergic acid α-hydroxyethylamide (LAH) and its degradation product ergine, as well as lesser quantities of ergonovine, when grown on sucrose-yeast extract agar (SYE) (Fig. 3A; Table 1). These alkaloids were identified by their fluorescence properties and retention times relative to an authentic standard (for ergonovine) or standards prepared from Periglandula sp.-infected Ipomoea leptophylla (LAH and ergine) (39).

The accumulation of ergot alkaloids in M. brunneum depended on the culture medium on which the fungus was grown; isolates of M. brunneum produced ergot alkaloids on SYE but not on corn meal agar or malt extract agar.

All ergot alkaloid-positive species of
Metarhizium produced lysergic acid amides: most abundantly LAH (along with its hydrolysis product ergine) and lesser quantities of ergonovine. LAH occurs in four stereoisomers as documented in previous work with Claviceps pasapali (42).

Interestingly,
M. brunneum ARSEF 9354 secreted the vast majority of its ergot alkaloids into the culture medium. In this way it differs from other ergot alkaloid-producing fungi, such as N. fumigata and Claviceps purpurea, which retain much of their ergot alkaloids in their mycelia, complicating extraction and purification.

Note: This is a wild strain of M. brunneum, not a GMO.

Several additional Metarhizium species, including M. acridum (two isolates), M. album (three isolates), M. anisopliae (four isolates), M. flavoviride (one isolate), M. guizhouense (two isolates), M. majus (two isolates), M. pingshaense (one isolate), and M. robertsii (two isolates), were tested for accumulation of ergot alkaloids on SYE. Among these additional isolates, only M. anisopliae ARSEF 7426 accumulated detectable ergot alkaloids on SYE when analyzed by HPLC with fluorescence detection (Table 1).

Several Metarhizium Species Produce Ergot Alkaloids in a Condition-Specific Manner. Leadmon CE, Sampson JK, Maust MD, Macias AM, Rehner SA, Kasson MT, Panaccione DG. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2020 Jul 2;86(14):e00373-20. doi: 10.1128/AEM.00373-20

Further Reading: Metarhizium: jack of all trades, master of many. St. Leger RJ, Wang JB. Open Biology, Dec 9, 2020. doi: 10.1098/rsob.200307

1. LAH stability info

2. https://www.reddit.com/r/LSA/commen.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3 (see last quote)

3. So, we have the possibility that a molecule of ergine [LAA] can be in one of three different states: It can be ergine in the chair or boat conformation, or it can be isoergine in the chair conformation. And in many chemical and physical situations, the three forms are constantly converting from one form to the others, and achieving a typical equilibrium distribution.

We therefore must consider that in an ergot preparation made according to our suggested method — and in morning glory seeds as prepared by Mesoamerican shamans — we are not dealing with pure ergine or pure isoergine. Both pure compounds have been tested and found wanting by some investigators, including Dr. Hofmann.

I would like to suggest, therefore, that the equilibrium mixture of ergine and isoergine (with ergine also in equilibrium between its two conformations) may actually be the true psychoactive of the kykeon and ololiuhqui. Since ergine spontaneously changes to isoergine when in solution, over a period of an hour or more, any process to partially hydrolyze the alkaloids of ergot, such as our proposed recipe — or even the Aztec shamans' procedure for extracting ololiuhqui — should result in an equilibrium mixture of the three forms.

Taking either ergine or isoergine as a pure compound, however, may not result in the equilibrium mixture arriving at brain receptors. The equilibrium reaction takes some time to occur, perhaps an hour or more, and is brought about most effectively by basic conditions — and neither in the stomach nor in the blood do we find sufficiently basic conditions for the equilibrium to readily establish itself within a short time period.

Concerning the psychoactivity of ergine/isoergine mixtures, I have long had great confidence that extracts of morning glory seed, and by analogy a partial hydrolysis preparation made from ergot, could be quite powerfully psychoactive. In the late 1960s, when I started my research on these matters, I went to Mexico to experiment with morning glory seeds. To begin, I extracted several kilos of seeds using a simple process, purifying an alcoholic extract between organic solvents in the alternating presence of aqueous solutions of ammonia and tartaric acid.

After a couple days' work, I obtained a nearly colorless syrup that exhibited the bright-blue fluorescence typical of active lysergic acid compounds. A few milligrams of this syrup, taken in a capsule, produced one of the most powerful psychedelic experiences I had known — by then I had already taken large doses of LSD several times as well as a few other notorious psychedelic agents.

It has ever since been a mystery to me why ergine should be such a fickle psychedelic, failing with some trials yet succeeding in others. My explanation — perhaps not entirely satisfactory, I admit — is that my extraction procedure allowed the equilibration of the original extracted ergine to the three ergine variants, and it was this mixture that was so effective. We know, of course, that sometimes a mixture of two or more drugs can be more effective than any single component of the mixture alone.

A question kept popping up in my mind, however: Why shouldn't ergine itself be reliably psychoactive? It is a close relative of LSD and its cousin, the dimethylamide, both of which are undeniably and strongly psychedelic. Perhaps this flipping of ring D between chair and boat conformations made ergine less available to their target brain receptors or even prevented ergine from remaining at receptors known to be affected by LSD.

There are other examples of drugs whose receptor affinity is limited by such conformation change, so it seems a good bet that this might be the case with ergine as well.

LSD, having ethyl groups and not hydrogens on the amide nitrogen, cannot form the hydrogen bond which stabilizes the boat form of the D-ring as in ergine, or which stabilizes isoergine to a unique conformation, so LSD remains exclusively in the chair form, and this might help to explain its extraordinary potency.

An additional consideration about the psychoactivity of LSD compared to that of ergine is also significant. It is, in fact, the stabilization of isoergine in the boat conformation by the hydrogen bond that affects the equilibrium concentrations of the two epimers, ergine vs. isoergine. This will depend on the particular solvent, of course, but in water or in the body, we should expect that an approximately 50/50 mixture of ergine and isoergine will exist. But since there is no hydrogen bonding possible with LSD to stabilize its iso form, the eqilibrium concentration of LSD vs. iso-LSD is far from 50/50. In fact, LSD in water solution or the body is 88% in the active epimer and only 12% iso-LSD. In addition, it takes a very long time - up to a week - for pure active LSD to epimerize to that equilibrium concentration, so that a dose of pure active LSD would arrive in the brain intact, with essentially no conversion to its epimer, iso-LSD.

The Mythology and Chemistry of the Eleusinian Mysteries (lecture given at the 2006 LSD symposium in Basel).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwfkJkvbR-I&start=3448
Webster starts talking about pharmacodynamics at 54:06 and focuses on LAA at 57:28.
Webster's hypothesis is based on the following study:

Ergoline derivatives—VIII: Configuration and conformation of lysergamides and dihydrolysergamides. L. Bernardi, W. Barbieri, Tetrahedron, Volume 21, Issue 9, 1965, Pages 2539-2551, ISSN 0040-4020, 10.1016/S0040-4020(01)93909-2

Peter Webster left LAH out of his equilibrium hypothesis, probably because he wasn't aware that fresh morning glory seeds contain predominantly LAH (see the last quote in the first reference, above), so I emailed him and asked him if perhaps LAH metabolized into this special equilibrium. Webster told me that he didn't think LAH, alone, would create the equilibirum, but that it could be an important contributor.

I should also point out that a recent study that David Nichols participated in examined the conformations of several ergoamides, including LAA:

First, the key amide side chain of LSD—the group that distinguishes it from the far less hallucinogenic lysergamide (LSA)—adopts a constrained conformation in the binding site that cannot exchange readily with alternative conformational states. This conformation, and by extension the contacts made, is crucial for LSD’s actions, and close analogs that cannot adopt it are much less active in vivo.

Crystal Structure of an LSD-Bound Human Serotonin Receptor. Wacker D, Wang S, McCorvy JD, Betz RM, Venkatakrishnan AJ, Levit A, Lansu K, Schools ZL, Che T, Nichols DE, Shoichet BK, Dror RO, Roth BL. Cell. 2017 Jan 26;168(3):377-389.e12. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2016.12.033. PMID: 28129538; PMCID: PMC5289311

Thanks red22 !

Here is the final ZERO NAUSEA 25g seed (800 seed) morning glory wine, simply decant and drink only what is above the 1/4" layer of particles at the bottom. The wine sits in fridge only a few hours, then all the particles fall to the bottom, and it's ready to use!

The particles at bottom are nauseating to the intestines so only drink the wine above it--zero nausea and a fabulous psychedelic trip. You can also drink this wine with regular LSD for a trip that is WAY BEYOND normal LSD. Way more colorful, way more music enhancing, way more visual and euphoric with divine healing.

This wine can also be used for all your aldehyde experiments like making LSI, super potent, VERY similar to LSD but with a much more natural feel.

zero nausea morning glory wine, simply decant and drink what is above the one quarter inch layer of particles at the bottom.JPG

Recently, shed light said
I'm sorry if I missed it, but what's the dosing with this method? The wine from 15g/525 seeds is all consumed as one dose? Or is that split into multiple doses? Using this method, how much wine corresponds to a standard 100ug dose?

The 25g limit is the most I've ever taken...be prepared, still not vasoconstriction at 25g or below.

When you use the pure chemical isovaleraldehyde at a couple drops, then 100 seeds is indeed the equivalent of 100ug LSD, 200 seeds around 200ug of LSD. Unfortunately the average Joe will not be able to get this chemical any longer. You will need to substitute with a tablespoon of lemon juice, peppermint drops or peppermint tea instead, all sources of limited amounts of isovaleraldehyde.

Here is a post that goes way back in time to why peppermint tea, etc. works, no one understood at the time why it worked so well, now we know, 69ron suspected something else undiscovered in the peppermint was responsible, and he was right.

Special Note #1: 69ron (not me but a friend of mine from long ago, I have no idea what happened to him, but do miss him) once had a thread https://www.dmt-nexu...?g=posts&t=5733 on forming a potent Lysergamide psychedelic from LSA + peppermint tea. In this thread, you will find at least 5 bad ass reports scattered throughout the 11 pages. Just be careful if using HBWR seeds, as I have mentioned before, there are high amounts of ergometrine in HBWR seeds which cause cramping, vasoconstriction, and even bronchial vasoconstriction when ergometrine (not LSA) is adducted with acetaldehyde and other aldehydes as you will find some reports of this in the thread. If you use HBWR, just keep your dose low. Stick with morning glory seeds if possible, as they contain only trace amounts of ergometrine, see page 11 of the shroomery thread in the middle with pics on how to make the zero nausea MG liquid wine extract to use for your experiments. I prefer to use the pure ISOVALERALDEHYDE chemical found in peppermint whenever I can. At the time 69ron suspected some other unidentified aldehyde in peppermint besides acetaldehyde was responsible for the strong trips, he was right.

I think it would be intresting to see if someone could come up with Lysergic Acid 2,4 Dimethylaziridine. Hypothetically it could be stronger than LSD. I came up with this idea after looking at a few LSD analogs that are more potent than regular LSD.

What happens if you try making an LSD analog that has a bigger molecule than an Azetidine ? Such as Lysergic Acid Diethylpyrrolidine ? Would the molecule just be inactive ? Or would it still have an effect ?

BTW when sekio uses bold face... that's as assertive as s/he gets

On a side note Sekio isn't a she, but do you guys remember the user Nuke from what was once known as Advanced Drug Discussion? I believe @nuke was a she.

On a side note Sekio isn't a she, but do you guys remember the user Nuke from what was once known as Advanced Drug Discussion? I believe @nuke was a she.

Unless sekio stated such in a public post, I will respect that person's right to remain as anonymous as they wish.

Well yeah, he might talk like a guy but sing like a lady so I agree. He ain’t a dude if he ain’t advertising it so!

@nuke was indeed a she and smart as hell too. She is in a ton of the early threads in PD talking about all RCs that were first hitting the market in the old days, all of the classic Tryps and Phens that laid the groundwork for what the scene became down the road. Havent seen her on here in many years.

I think it would be intresting to see if someone could come up with Lysergic Acid 2,4 Dimethylaziridine. Hypothetically it could be stronger than LSD.
I think Dave Nichols beat you to it, by several years.

Well... I came up with my own LSD design. What do you think of this ? https://imageshack.com/i/pnhiPTiLp
It would help if you put the ends of the bonds where they're supposed to be and not in the middle of nowhere? If you ask nicely, I'll send you a copy of ChemDraw.

It would help if you put the ends of the bonds where they're supposed to be and not in the middle of nowhere? If you ask nicely, I'll send you a copy of ChemDraw.

Chem3D was the element I used the most... but I guess if someone presumes PEAs are flat, ChemDraw is sufficient. The only annoying thing I found was that if you made the minimum-energy conformation calculations too granular, Chem3D could chug away for a fair time... but obviously not with such low MW compounds.

If ChemDraw works on my computer. I'd Thank you very much for giving it to me. As far as what I was going to post about. Do you think LSD could be crossed with a Tryptamine like this ? Or is this just wishful thinking ? https://imageshack.com/i/pmWIxopOp
My guess would be that the bulk there would abolish activity. LSD is pretty optimized for the serotonin 2A receptor, hence there not being too many changes that gain or even preserve activity.

You want to see a funny video I found on Youtube talking about testing LSD on some solders ? I found a video. You might of seen it before.

@nuke was indeed a she and smart as hell too. She is in a ton of the early threads in PD talking about all RCs that were first hitting the market in the old days, all of the classic Tryps and Phens that laid the groundwork for what the scene became down the road. Havent seen her on here in many years.

to paraphrase:
O, what may (wo)man within (them) hide,
Though angel on the outward side!

Measure for Measure (William Shakespeare, 1604 or something)