• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants How to get rid of Meth Mouth

Turotits

Greenlighter
Alright so its been like 2 days since i last tweaked, and mouth feels like it got attacked by a swarm of bees...My tounge feels dry and hurts even though Ive been drinking water all goddam day and if i keep my tounge still for a second a freaking uncontrollable amount of spit builds up and its annoying since i dont want to scrape my tounge across my teeth because i heard that causes sores and i cant have that shit because imma be doing a presentation in a couple days and cant sound like i have a dick in my mouth....any sugessss

yup. you've got thrush.
go to the doc, minute clinic, urgent care, hell - even try your pharmacist - tell them that you're pretty sure you've got thrush, and you'd like some Nystatin.

Basically what thrush is, is an overgrowth/imbalance of the yeast in your mouth. The yeast levels just need to be restored to normal.

With the Nystatin, you swish it around in your mouth for like 30 seconds, then swallow, 3x/day or so for 10-14 days. Doesn't hurt, doesn't taste like dogshit.

yup. you've got thrush.
go to the doc, minute clinic, urgent care, hell - even try your pharmacist - tell them that you're pretty sure you've got thrush, and you'd like some Nystatin.

Basically what thrush is, is an overgrowth/imbalance of the yeast in your mouth. The yeast levels just need to be restored to normal.

With the Nystatin, you swish it around in your mouth for like 30 seconds, then swallow, 3x/day or so for 10-14 days. Doesn't hurt, doesn't taste like dogshit.

Yep. You don't need a prescription for nystatin in SA, not sure about elsewhere. I've had oral thrush a few times, so when I get it I don't bother going to the doctor. If you've never had it before, go to a doctor to get a diagnosis. I'm a drug addict, not a doctor.

When I read the thread title, I was gonna come in here and say the best way to get rid of normal meth mouth is alcohol free "dry mouth" mouthwash like biotene or something. Works a treat, and keeps your mouth moist for ages after. Plus, it helps keep your teeth and gums healthy. I read somewhere I can't remember that it's bad to brush your teeth after smoking because something about the meth vapor makes your enamel weak for like, 6 hours after. (IIRC. I don't have a reference, so take it with a grain of salt.) which is why mouthwash is ideal.

"I'm a drug addict, not a doctor"

Best. Quote. Ever. Well played, sir. Well played.

...but what if you're a doctor who's a drug addict?
or a drug addict who's a doctor?

who's on first?

I don't think it's thrush. You can see thrush, and he didn't mention anything about it.

I have had similar issues with my mouth after taking too much e. Your mouth dries up and your teeth grind and your tongue strongly swishes against everything, to the point where you've "grinded" your mouth raw.

It takes a few days but you'll get better. Obviously, avoid foods that can irritate the mouth - especially spicy stuff! The Biotene mouthwash someone mentioned is an excellent recommendation. Beyond that, you just have to deal with it for a few days.

BRUSH YOUR TEETH. Dry mouth=less saliva=more bacteria=tooth decay=gross.

BRUSH YOUR TEETH. Dry mouth=less saliva=more bacteria=tooth decay=gross.

Bingo! There's a show on the tube right now and they just addressed the issue and basically RU hit it right on. Dry mouth is the issue all in all.

Bingo! There's a show on the tube right now and they just addressed the issue and basically RU hit it right on. Dry mouth is the issue all in all.

No. If you've smoked meth in the last couple hours, use mouthwash. In that situation, brushing your teeth would be worse than not brushing. The corrosive nature of meth, especially when smoked; plays merry havoc on your tooth enamel and brushing it can wear the enamel away. The same rings true for other routes of administration, albeit to a lesser extent. Simply having amphetamines in your bloodstream (even if you don't administer it there directly like I do) causes enamel weakness. Due to the nature of my reference, I wont speculate as to the mechanism. Reference: If you doubt me look it up. I've researched this, but everyone I know accepts this as common knowledge so I assume the rest of the internet does except for on or two people (see quote) ergo I feel having to search for the paper I read on it, link you's too it, etc etc, as unnecessary. The onus of knowledge is on YOU!

I don't think it's thrush. You can see thrush, and he didn't mention anything about it.

I have had similar issues with my mouth after taking too much e. Your mouth dries up and your teeth grind and your tongue strongly swishes against everything, to the point where you've "grinded" your mouth raw.

It takes a few days but you'll get better. Obviously, avoid foods that can irritate the mouth - especially spicy stuff! The Biotene mouthwash someone mentioned is an excellent recommendation. Beyond that, you just have to deal with it for a few days.

Yeah I agree with this. I get something similar after coke binges and I think it's purely due to not drinking and grinding my jaw/moving my tongue around permanently. Wouldn't be surprised if it's an effect you can get with any upper really, AFAIK meth mouth is the result of long-term use, not a temporary problem (don't quote me on that) as yours sounds like it is.
Drink lots of water (yup, just continue), use mouthwash, and once it starts feeling a bit better remember to brush your teeth multiple times a day if possible...otherwise you will eventually get meth mouth and it's not the most pleasing thing to look at ;)

um..."thrush" and "meth mouth" are two completely different things.

thrush is just an imbalance of yeast in the mouth.
I got it after about my first 4-5 months of methamphetamine usage because I rarely drank soda or consumed much sugar, and my diet changed and I started drinking more soda than I had before, and my mouth got a little confused and irritated. That, and my immune system was probably down a bit from lack of sleep and poorer nutrition than my body was used to.

"meth mouth" should really be called "lazy sun of a bitch mouth."
I have seen plenty of crackheads, drunks, and hillbillies with a serious case of what I like to call 'summer teeth' (sum 'er here, sum 'er ...not there...)
but I don't hear anybody calling it "crackhead mouth" or "hillbilly mouth."
'Meth mouth" has been exacerbated by the media as a way to deter people from trying the drug. Their 'slogan' right now is 'not even once' - and they'll tell you just about any horror story to get somebody to not try meth for the first time, ever, at all.

I don't have anything against a campaign to deter people from trying the drug, but I do have something against exaggeration, sensationalism, and 'loose' facts.
Every time I hear the phrase 'meth mouth,' I cringe - not because I get a picture in my head of a mouth full of rotting teeth, but because it's such a fucking cliche. The media has beat the hell out of the phrase, and people seem to think that every meth user has a mouth full of rotten teeth, simply because they use meth. Ah, no...it's called...
BRUSH YOUR FUCKIN' TEETH.

^^^Yeah, man, Same thing with the skin thing. Just repeat to yourself... "don't pick... don't pick"

Learn to dose responsibly or learn to Biotene. One is the easy way out.

After many years, I have yet to develop "meth mouth". I don't use crystal or illegal drugs anymore though.

Only people I ever see with meth mouth is people who "done gave up long ago, son".

Last edited:
The nonspecific mouthwash recommendations are not really helpful. Standard alcohol-based mouthwashes will really just contribute to drying out the mouth. Hence the specific Biotene recommendations - alcohol free and is really designed to emulate the environment of a healthy mouth.

Timing your dental hygiene routine to coordinate with peak tooth enamel strength and the alignment of the sun and Planet Meth and whatever the hell else is pointless. I mean come on, its a miracle if it gets done on a regular basis for some people...just use an extra soft toothbrush and gentle organic toothpaste and do the damn thang

I got a question so, as many of us sleep with their mouth open. I wake up with a pretty dry mouth usually, does that mean i'm slowly by slowly destroying my teeth due to dryness? Fuck i'm getting meth mouth and i don't even tweak anymore! My teeth look great btw , was just curious.