TDS How many fish in the sea?

Thanks war

Kevin, whilst I agree with your previous sentiments about honesty as opposed to pretense, I disagree with this. To suggest running away from a situation in such a manner is an act of keeping ones integrity is, as foots might put it, a farce. The universe is indifferent, and it will not reward you for waiting, nor does it hate. It just is. Space and time will not rush to fill a void, not to mention the difference between being void of something, and feeling like you're missing something. Emptiness and lacking are so close, yet so far apart. Would you go up to a starving family in Africa and tell them to just stop focusing on food and let the universe provide them with an abundance of it? No, you wouldn't. If you would, you're one sadistic fucker.
Anyway, I just think it's extremely painful to have your hopes raised, and I think falsely raising OP's hopes with such nonsense goes against the HR principles of BL
Hope I haven't offended you, though.

No offense taken at all, I was just basing my advice on my own personal experiences, (which are the most honest truths I have to offer) and I found that a lot of my anxieties and hang ups in life were all totally unnecessary and i had in fact wasted thousands of hours in my life worrying about things that never happened in the end.

i particularly had serious hang ups over money and was constantly stressed about it for years, then one day driving alone home on an 8 hour road trip i realized this fact, that I was still here, that the bills had always got paid, that I had raised 3 children, put them through collage, met all my responsibilities, and it all just flowed, no matter what the situation something always happened, and me worrying myself silly about it didn't make it happen any faster or any easier, so i though "what would happen if I just changed my perspective ?", if i noticed when I was getting into thought loops of worry what if I was to force myself to think about something else, to say ENOUGH ! NO MORE WORRYING !

Well what i had stumbled on although I didn't know it at the time was a path into basic mindfullness, and I found that it only took a few weeks practice until the hours of worry did start dropping away and as a consequence I had heaps more time and energy to devote to being happy and creative which funnily enough led to me having more juice in the tank available for new ideas, new projects, which in turn increased the money flow.

So I was right, as far as my own experience goes, why waste time worrying about things that are not happening NOW !

This has worked out over the last decade to be the same no matter what I apply it to, money, romance, friendship, work. When I stop TRYINg to force things and just take a few steps back and relax and watch and wait to see what happens it seems the Tao flows perfectly, but the moment I start applying effort and stress to life I find myself again swimming upstream and wasting energy.

I'm not saying that's the way it is for everyone, maybe it isn't I only have my own experience to judge from, and that's another thing psychedelics has taught me, go with the primary experience FIRST, everything else is just conjecture, someone elses idea, but what I have actually experienced and worked out for myself well that's my real truth, and it's what I have to share, I don't want to just heap cliche's and standard textbook responses to people, I try to offer an honest account of what I actually believe through direct experiential knowledge.

If something I say seems loopy then don't take me too seriously, I'm not a guru, I don't know if what I think is universal truth or a bunch of self deluded fucking rubbish, but at least it's my rubbish and it's all I have to offer, take it or leave it, I wont be offended.

DeathDomokun, LilbabiC, herbavore, ArtVandalay, Cotillion, mrflowers00, theartofwar, webbykevin, ComingBackForMore, alasdairm, RedLeader - Thank you all so much for your responses, I'm extremely grateful and overwhelmed by your posts. You guys are great. <3

What I mean is, if someone doesn't love me, I would rather they were honest about it and left than stayed around pretending everything was hunky dory when it isn't, How many couples (married or otherwise) have wasted years of their lives in that half assed lukewarm state, going through the motions, feeling guilty about the shallowness of the situation, regretting not having the courage to do what the OP'S ex-partner has done, sure it hurts a bit now, but in the long run you are also the one who has been set free from the situation.

This really hit home, you're right. We had talked about this often and always said that if one of us ever "fell out of love" or fell in love with someone else, we would be honest and tell each other. It's not in her nature to be cruel like this, it just doesn't fit the bill. Honesty has been a big thing in our relationship, I used to have a problem with lying and she was always very supportive and honest herself with me even when it was hard. I mean, with both of us IV drug users, we've been through a lot together.

24 hours a day? Everyday?

You never heard "Absence makes the heart grow fonder"?

I mean come on, nobody can do that, especially couples. There would be a mutual hate. She just happened to run off first.

When she asks to come back just make her beg for it. I mean that is if you're telling the truth. Something sounds fishy here.

What do you think I'm lying about? What sounds fishy? And sure we spent virtually all day, every day, together - with some exceptions but we were never apart for longer than a week TOPS. We spent this much time with each other because we love each other's company. I mean, we were a team. There was no mutual hate; not from my side anyway.

Ash.

Damn, drugs have such a way to take over one's life. MPH is not my love but I am in love with another drug too. My S/O is starting to get very annoyed at the fact that I love my Drug Of Choice so much.

Dealing with breakups is tough, but you just gotta keep going through your daily motions and be grateful to be alive. It bites, it stings, and it itches for a long time after a breakup. But the first thing you have to do is get your s/o off of the pedestal. I'm sure there were things about her you didn't like and now you don't have to worry about that. You're now free to do whatever you like in the world. Just keep giving out love to everyone and being your true self, and eventually new love can hit you like a ton of bricks and bring back feelings you didn't think you'd feel again.

Ashley, what your going through sounds so rough :( I've read this and your other thread and have really felt for you.

I disagree with the person who said you should thank her for acting with integrity and honesty - that's ridiculous. What she's done is the very antithesis of integrity - running off without a word to you is weak, and simply low. I'm sure that doesn't help answer the questions or relieve the pain though.

I don't think the way she's treated you is a reflection on you. People break up every day, being broken up with doesn't mean that you're unworthy of love or that there's anything wrong with you, just that the relationship wasn't right. The way she's chosen to deal with this is probably just an expression of her cowardice and inability to face an issue.

I hope you start to feel better soon. This is a tough situation, and it's understandable for you to feel down right now. I think it's best to just accept that feeling - I don't think now is the time to force yourself to look at the positives or try and cheer up if you don't feel like it. There can be a sort of peace with accepting that this is a shit situation, and you feel shit about it, and just accepting that feeling and sitting with it and not trying to change it.

I also don't think now is the time to worry about whether you'll fall in love again. This relationship was a meaningful one and you'll need time to grieve it. But of course I think it's possible for you to find love again.

I'm a youngin'. I doubt I ever experinced true love.
I think if a love was really "true" if it was mean't to be, then you wouldn't need to search for it again because you'd have it. It would have never left.

I disagree. I mean first you have to define love. You see love can be so many different things and the English language only has 1 word to encapsulate the plethora of symbols it is attached to, but irrespective of meaning, I'm gonna start talking about it.
You see, so many people love to think of it is as permanent. 'soul mate', 'true love', 'one and only', etc.
What we refer to as love is very possessive, very selfish. Hence much jealousy arises, although I'm sure self-disesteem and insecurities also contribute to that.
Now I'm just ranting about shit, really. To be concise, love isn't some permanent thing. Selfish love is fleeting as that which it feeds on (the others' personality, actions and body) changes, and thus your feelings towards them change, which is why love leaves. Now I believe you can be in an intimate relationship/married without loving one another. I believe you can love everybody as an altruistic act. I believe you can love somebody without being possessive. I believe polygamy is fundamentally more loving than monogamy.

There's no letter being left out in the word 'meant' so no ' is needed, just for future reference if you care.. unlike foots

'True love' isn't a once in a life time thing. If there's such a thing as a soul mate, there's more than one of them.
It's much more about you and your ability to love than the person you're loving.

Totally agreed.

Ashley, what your going through sounds so rough :( I've read this and your other thread and have really felt for you.

I agree with much of what you said footsy - and thank you for responding to this thread, I'm grateful that you care - you're a really nice person and I enjoy reading your posts.

I disagree with the person who said you should thank her for acting with integrity and honesty - that's ridiculous. What she's done is the very antithesis of integrity - running off without a word to you is weak, and simply low. I'm sure that doesn't help answer the questions or relieve the pain though.

Oh, I won't be thanking her for acting with integrity and honesty.. Because she hasn't. I'm with you, in that running off without a word is weak, and low. And unfortunately no, that doesn't help relieve the pain. Though, what spins me out is that in 6 years you get to know a person, and in situations in the past her very morals, tactfulness and big heart suggested the total opposite of cruel, weak, selfish and coward like behaviour. She always acted with integrity and is always very aware of not causing anyone undue pain. In fact, she always used to put me first.

I don't think the way she's treated you is a reflection on you. People break up every day, being broken up with doesn't mean that you're unworthy of love or that there's anything wrong with you, just that the relationship wasn't right. The way she's chosen to deal with this is probably just an expression of her cowardice and inability to face an issue.

I can see what you're saying, and the way she is dealing with it (i.e. not contacting me) says to me that she is too scared to talk to me about it. As ComingBackForMore said in one of his posts "If they were seriously married for 6 years together everyday, she will obviously contact him again." - I honestly believe that she will contact me at some point; I really truly hope so.

I hope you start to feel better soon. This is a tough situation, and it's understandable for you to feel down right now. I think it's best to just accept that feeling - I don't think now is the time to force yourself to look at the positives or try and cheer up if you don't feel like it. There can be a sort of peace with accepting that this is a shit situation, and you feel shit about it, and just accepting that feeling and sitting with it and not trying to change it.

Thank you. This is the toughest, most confusing, most destabilizing situation that I have ever experienced. And I've dealt with a lot of bad shit over the years. Including losing a close friend to suicide when I was 18, among other things. I feel as though I have accepted the feeling, as best I can at the moment. Though I have tried, I cannot see any positives and I don't feel like cheering up. You're right that I have found an element of peace, albeit melancholy peace, though that is to be expected. Having embraced this sorrowful feeling, and not fighting it or trying to change it as you suggested, has been helpful.

I also don't think now is the time to worry about whether you'll fall in love again. This relationship was a meaningful one and you'll need time to grieve it. But of course I think it's possible for you to find love again.

I also don't think that now is the right time to worry about whether or not I'll fall in love again. I know at this stage and probably for a long while I will have nothing to give at all. I barely speak at the moment, to anyone. I just feel like I want to be left alone, and try to spend as much time alone as possible. Though living with my parents, as we not long ago had to sell our house, is most uncomfortable and without leaving the house, I can't really be alone and don't have any privacy as I'm sleeping on the couch in the main living area. I just wanted affirmation that people have been in the same position that I seem to be in, (as I still have no concrete proof, but the only things that I can think she is doing aren't positive ones), and have gone on to find love again.

At this point, keeping in mind that I still don't know this with absolute certainty - but I tend to trust those bad feelings you get for no reason. Right now, I truly feel if I cannot live with this rare and special person then life has little else to offer me..

Anyway, enough misery for one post..

Thank you for your post footsy, you're very sweet. :)

Ash. <3

A couple of years ago, having been a lifelong cynic (i.e. irritable romantic) about true love, I thought I'd found 'the one', and she embraced me with apparently perfect empathy/understanding of my many faults, contradictions and areas of dysfunction: she'd been to a lot of the same dark places, and before long, we were engaged. In reality, of course, our knowledge of each other was purely circumstantial, and before we'd been together a full year, it ended: my 'understanding' angel spitting venom, abuse, and even anti-semitic slurs, before slamming the door. There was a total reversal from which I still, more than 18 months on, haven't recovered, from a sense of being loved for who I am/was to being cast out like vermin. She succeeded in making my sense of worthlessness complete for a long time, and I ended up becoming the junkie she'd accused me of being before leaving, which was a little ironic, as she'd been feeding me Vics and Xanax the whole time we were together. I'm still struggling to get off of benzos, and blew a serious professional opportunity in the immediate aftermath of the break-up.

All of which is preface to saying I know well, despite the very different timescales involved, the sense of shock when someone starts to act in ways that seem to contradict everything you thought you knew about them. I allowed my life to fall to pieces after the end - though I'm not sure I had any choice, and am now, a few years shy of 40, living with my mom, unemployed save for occasional freelance work, and fighting a constant battle to get off these fucking pills. The one thing I did right was not to rebound...though at this point, it's no longer a matter of rebounding. The combination of two destructive relationships in short order and the druggie depression that followed them left me with virtually no sex drive, let alone the willingness to be vulnerable and develop feelings for anyone else. I've come to accept I may remain celibate and single for the rest of my life - because I honestly don't know if I could survive going through anything similar again. The whole question of future romance, or even sex, seems as unreal as fantasising about winning the lottery (not that I've ever bought a card). That may well be a self-fulfilling 'learned helplessness' - maybe I've just capitulated to fears of abandonment/rejection, saying 'okay, you win. I've lost hope.'

This may not be true for everyone else, but over time, I've come to feel some peace - some, and it isn't consistent - with the possibility of remaining alone. What happens will happen, what doesn't, won't, and either way, life isn't going to be easy. I agree that waiting for the universe or divinity or jolly little leprechauns to come along and sprinkle bliss into one's life is starry-eyed and a sure path to depression and paralysis: but so is flailing into rebound messes and suddenly finding you've exchanged rings with a personality disorder (I'm pretty sure, in retrospect, that she'd been misdiagnosed as bipolar and actually suffered from BPD, which I have traces off myself). Nature hates a vacuum - but can pump in any kind of gas, and it may well not be oxygen that fills the void, but something, to strain the simile, more akin to petrol fumes or freon.

There's no right or wrong way to go about relationship recovery - though avoiding facebook pictures/emails et cetera is pretty much always a good idea, it's no vaccine for obsession - but immediately wondering 'can I love again?' invites the disaster of trying to prove that you can, and feeling that you have to: at which point, the human capacity for self-deception is pretty much infinite. Feel the pain you're feeling - don't fear or question the future any more than you absolutely have to, would be my only advice. And remember, many people live rich and fulfilling, but solitary (at least in romantic terms) lives. I'm not one of them yet, but I think I'll have to be before any future relationship that isn't just one more time-bomb delusion becomes possible again. If that never happens...I have a few friends I love and trust, (very few), and at my darkest moments, try to remember the wisdom of David Foster Wallace, who sadly couldn't abide by his own insight in the end: 'no single moment is in and of itself unbearable'. You may think it is...but in doing so, you've lived through it and proved yourself wrong. Just keep breathing, and as they say in jail 'move slowly and drink plenty of water.'

Sorry for the long and self-indulgent post - it's been a long, dark few years and sometimes everything seems pointless. Maybe it is. But I notice I'm still breathing, and when afraid that this loneliness will continue and worsen and never abate (which happens most days), I remind myself of the immortal wisdom to be found in the words, 'ah, fuck it, so what?' Maybe we can only really love - some of us at least - when we've given up on love's necessity. Or maybe I just can't. If so, it doesn't mean the universe is empty or without meaning: just that I've failed, as yet, to imagine other possibilities. But there are moments when I feel I've hit the bottom of the pit, see nothing ahead but tedious, repetitive pain and isolation: but can find a certain sense of healing in 'okay, so it goes - maybe.'

I'm rambling and will stop, but one final thing: a little pot - or even, perhaps, a whole shitload, for a while - is no big deal, but the worst mistake I made was to self-medicate with pharms. Whatever else, don't start hitting the pills or bottle hard, because they'll hit back, a lot fucking harder.

Anyway, it's brave of you to have posted here, and however incoherent the above, know that this is one more stranger, many miles away, who has felt some of the same pain, and feels sympathy for your situation. You'll survive - beyond that, don't second-guess the future. It may or may not be indifferent, but asking questions of it is pointless: it either says nothing or just lies to you.

Last edited:
..and so I wither, like a flower that hasn't been watered that sits on a windowsill facing the opposite direction to the sun.

Here is an UPDATE:

Well, I've been well stocked with benzos as of a few days ago. 50x 2mg alprazolam, 50x 5mg diazepam and 25 30mg oxazepam. And despite everything that's going on, I have surprised myself in keeping a prett y good handle on it. My anxiety is well under control and I have actually taken some initiative into getting things done regarding finding Jessie, attending parole, making appointments with psychiatrist and finding a new GP who is prepared to prescribe me benzodiazepines despite my history of opiate dependance, which is unusual.

Anyway, I spoke to Nicki today (the girl that introduced me to Stu) and she told me that the last thing she remembers Jessie saying before going to Sydney with Stu was "as far as I'm concerned the relationship is over between me and him". She gave me 3 different numbers for Stu but none of them work, so I asked her if she knew where he lives so that I could "post a letter to Jessie", well she has offered to drive me down there over the next 4 days or so. So, I will finally be able to get some sort of closure and at least see and talk to her and find out what the hell is going on.

I did speak to her Nan and Mum, who were worried sick about her and were about to file a missing persons report as they hadn't heard from her for about as long as I. Her probation & parole officer has also not heard from her, which means she will have a warrant out for her arrest (so I guess in the end, I will get to visit her in custody). It's comforting, as much as it can be, considering, to know that she is alive and hasn't overdosed (which was a possibility) - I can see via the email that I get showing our bank balances (so I can see that she is spending money).

Ash. <3

I am so thankfull, that my "soulmate-woman of-my-life" ,decided to start a lesbian relationship, with a female coworker, who fell in love with her, at my freakin wedding!

Or I'd have missed out on meeting the woman meant for me, and who is REALLY totally committed to me.
But it took me many, many years of selfdestructive drugabuse and a hate against all woman, before i got over that.
Sooooo, i hope you'll be happy and thankfull too, when you find true love, eventhough it may take time and hurt!

Hang in there!
greetz,sleepwalker!

This is the person that I am being utterly consumed while missing. As you can see she is beautiful. Both inside and out.

<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the person that I am being utterly consumed while missing. As you can see she is beautiful. Both inside and out.

You gotta stop looking at those photos, Ashley. You're still in love with a person who just does not exist anymore. You're in love with a person who is "beautiful both inside and out," when clearly she's got an ugly streak (if only impulsive and temporary). I'm guessing you're still in denial a bit that she could have done this to you, because the girl you love so much just never would truly intend to do this, right? Man, you gotta move on. She's gone for now, and it would just be really awkward if you got back together with her anytime soon anyway.

Put the photos away, as well as any of her things you still have. Stop trying to contact her. Get busy, dive into anything you can with anyone else you can (platonic or otherwise). You'll just be absolutely miserable if you keep looking at the photos. I looked at my ex's photos for a long time, and it made me really miserable.

That's a bit invasive, and probably illegal. leave the girl alone and move on imo.

Invasive? We know each others PIN numbers for heaven sake. We share each other's socks! It simply allowed me to confirm that she is still alive, hence spending money. Also, I doubt its illegal as it is a joint bank account.

It is impossible to move on without any proof, its all speculation at this point - though admittedly it doesn't look great.

Ash.