• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Recovery How do people cope keeping off heroin?

Yes! Thanks for posting that, and it makes me so happy that someone went and did their own research

I'd say my own experience bears out the same conclusion, I had and stuck to a strategy and even though I wanted to use badly frequently at first, having put so much in place helped.

The swiss cheese model of recovery is something else I used. Every approach has holes in it, so you need enough tactics that when a disaster hits, no holes line up, something catches you before you relapse. For example, having stuff you enjoy is important, but so is social support, stable housing, therapy etc

The only thing that stopped me when I wasn't trusting myself at all was Naltraxone implant. Guaranteed solution till the next implant you get which is usually after 3 months. After a while, you gather the willpower to stay off it without the implant. Good luck.

Maintenance is the only thing that's ever worked for me. Methadone was what started turning my life around. Then I eventually tapered down low enough to get on suboxone. It wasn't easy and it wasn't fun but it's possible.

willpower alone doesn't work!!! look up ego fatigue. this is why you can't just 'stop using' and need to actively do something different.
I totally agree, until I filled every hour of my day with something new and differant from the old Using life, I was still on the hamster wheel going no where !! The gym was the Best first place for me, filled time, helped clean out my system , lots of water to flush out dead toxins, and help with sleep because dead fuckin tired

reduce ur dose to the minimum possible u can stand, take your last dose. wait 12-24 hrs until u can deal with it anymore, take 300mg gabaprntin until you see a noticeable decrease in all of the symptoms, take 20-60mg of loperamide everyday for the first three days, decreasing the dose each day(for example 60 the first day, 40 the second and 20 the third day) stop the loperamide but keep tasking the gabaprntin for at least a week or 2 max, drop the dose gradually as well. Take benzos as needed for the first 2weeks.Thats how u overcome addiction by ur own, at least the acute part. Paws on the other hand, is a different beast. A lot of ppl relapse during the first three months of abstinence, they think they are cured already, the truth is you nrvr will. Once you are hooked on opiates once, you're hooked forever. It's hard to stay clean by yourself but u hsbe to replace the addiction with something else, sports, hobbies, gym, etc. All the time you spend thinking about opiates, hustling, scoring is now gone. zthsts when anxiety comes in, also we are so conditioned at this point to the instant reward, flooding ur brain with dopamine that nothing makes you happy(anhedonia, unable to feel good). Shit quitting opiates is probably one of the hardest things we hsve to do at one point of our lives, but we'll get there eventually.... there's hope always. I wish you all luck on quitting heroin/opiates in general, I myself I'm trying to cope with the reality that I have to quit for good. I have had too much morphine in my life, but it's just never enough isn't it? ? Stay safe guys, your friendly neighbor NZN

I am not into exercises at all, @Iceman1216 do you think that running every morning would suffice? I can't really lift weights and put too much pressure on my back because I got a few medical conditions there

also ZB, I think maintanance would be your best bet until you fill your schelude with activities, this way you don't waste time scoring and putting yourself in situations with other addicts.

I think it's time to relearn to live mate, you'll have to change lots of things for it to work, but I'm sure you'll go through it somehow. adopt a puppy from a shelter and make it your mission to give him a good life, I know how much you love dogs.

considering your age it's even harder, i remember about you saying about some electrician work, why don't you try to learn some new work related stuff? or maybe try getting in a new work field (nothing fancy that requires uni, just a new trade). also you'll have to give up the crack too, because you'll always associate it with the brown considering you are used combining the two.

No offence mate but you sound pretty cynical and immature, for some people N/A is the difference between life and death, others have responsibilities and people who rely on them. I don't think you sound ready to quit but Heroin will humble you eventually, it just takes time.

What the hell are you on about?.....what a load of shit.

Cynical yes but "immature" huh? I bet I'm old enough to be your dad.

"but Heroin will humble you eventually, it just takes time"
Yeah I know too well, been on since 2001, I've been humbled believe me, more than you will EVER understand you moron.
Ever had a gun pulled on you & put to your head? Ever been forced to watch a man be raped with a broom as his robbed a dealer & they kicked the door in on his flat for revenge? Ever had to remove your belt from a addict that had gone over & fitting as his near death & you wanna get the fuck outta the crack house before he dies?
No I didn't think so!!!!!!

[MOD EDIT: Play nice guys - cj]

Last edited by a moderator:
also ZB, I think maintanance would be your best bet until you fill your schelude with activities, this way you don't waste time scoring and putting yourself in situations with other addicts.

I think it's time to relearn to live mate, you'll have to change lots of things for it to work, but I'm sure you'll go through it somehow. adopt a puppy from a shelter and make it your mission to give him a good life, I know how much you love dogs.

considering your age it's even harder, i remember about you saying about some electrician work, why don't you try to learn some new work related stuff? or maybe try getting in a new work field (nothing fancy that requires uni, just a new trade). also you'll have to give up the crack too, because you'll always associate it with the brown considering you are used combining the two.

It's kinda strange how you can understand & put it across better than that idiot, thinks his been a junkie moron I quoted above.
I'd rob him myself just for a laugh & give him a slap after I'd taken his phone, cash & gear then send him upto the Roma gangs in the next town to take his clothes.

I've been thinking about going to apply to the open university & doing a course in anthropology as that is my dream job, who knows where I'll be in 8 weeks huh but I am gonna try my best with it I know that much.

I've been thinking for a way to channel my PAWS into something of use & I was thinking about taking up guitar again as I've always wanted to start a proper Sludge metal band & this may be the perfect chance to burn up all my nihilism & misanthropy into something of use.
You ever happen to come across an album cover that has images with Gabe the dog, MDPV abuse & photos of cheap sex workers on the cover you'll know I've made it. I'll do a song or two on there about Pete556 for sure.

If you have ever heard & seen the album "Eyehategod - Take As Needed For Pain" you're not that far removed from how I see it (no joke)

Idk about the anthropology it will take some time until you'll get a job that requires you to spend time, it would be better something that requires your whole time so you got no time left for other shit. do you have enough zopiclone to knock you out the first 4 days?

I think that people somehow get dependent on the rush which comes with the life of addiction. I couldn't do it myself because of various problems such as money or location but a high adrenaline activity could tick some boxes. Maybe amateur rally, learning active motorcycle riding courses, cliff climbing.
Things like competitive long range air rifle shooting which demands a lot of concentration because of many variables that effect your shot could take your mind off the gear. Another thing is bow and arrow which also demands good concentration and use of different muscle groups could keep your mind and body busy.
These are just ideas but not everybody likes working out or have the physical fitness to do so.

I think that people somehow get dependent on the rush which comes with the life of addiction. I couldn't do it myself because of various problems such as money or location but a high adrenaline activity could tick some boxes. Maybe amateur rally, learning active motorcycle riding courses, cliff climbing.
Things like competitive long range air rifle shooting which demands a lot of concentration because of many variables that effect your shot could take your mind off the gear. Another thing is bow and arrow which also demands good concentration and use of different muscle groups could keep your mind and body busy.
These are just ideas but not everybody likes working out or have the physical fitness to do so.

How very well put, thank God BL has some people on here that are logical.
You hit the nail right on the head imho with "I think that people somehow get dependent on the rush which comes with the life of addiction" as IMHO a habit becomes a whole lifestyle, it isn't just getting high after a while. As you loose "decent" folks you used to spend time with you are drawn into a world of degenerate behaviour & the people you are around are not the best to say the least. There is a "rush" though going to go buy dope on the street off a shady guy not knowing what the hell will happen etc, I know it sounds odd but it is true.

Strange you should mention cliff climbing as I was only asking at the local leisure centre a few days ago about their climbing wall & when new courses are going to be up & running, there is something that really appeals to me in that which I cannot place or find the words to express. I've tried archery before but due to the way dyspraxia impacts upon me I wasn't that good & nearly took my foot out (such is life huh)

For someone who says they have never been in my situation you sure hit the nail on the head, thanks man I mean it.
Have a good day, thanks again btw.

reduce ur dose to the minimum possible u can stand, take your last dose. wait 12-24 hrs until u can deal with it anymore, take 300mg gabaprntin until you see a noticeable decrease in all of the symptoms, take 20-60mg of loperamide everyday for the first three days, decreasing the dose each day(for example 60 the first day, 40 the second and 20 the third day) stop the loperamide but keep tasking the gabaprntin for at least a week or 2 max, drop the dose gradually as well. Take benzos as needed for the first 2weeks.Thats how u overcome addiction by ur own, at least the acute part. Paws on the other hand, is a different beast. A lot of ppl relapse during the first three months of abstinence, they think they are cured already, the truth is you nrvr will. Once you are hooked on opiates once, you're hooked forever. It's hard to stay clean by yourself but u hsbe to replace the addiction with something else, sports, hobbies, gym, etc. All the time you spend thinking about opiates, hustling, scoring is now gone. zthsts when anxiety comes in, also we are so conditioned at this point to the instant reward, flooding ur brain with dopamine that nothing makes you happy(anhedonia, unable to feel good). Shit quitting opiates is probably one of the hardest things we hsve to do at one point of our lives, but we'll get there eventually.... there's hope always. I wish you all luck on quitting heroin/opiates in general, I myself I'm trying to cope with the reality that I have to quit for good. I have had too much morphine in my life, but it's just never enough isn't it? ? Stay safe guys, your friendly neighbor NZN
Thank you for so very Much!! I am on the opiate hamster wheel and want off, but do not want to do the Hard work of feeling like shit for so Loooooooooooong!!! I will look in to the first two comfort drugs you mentioned, not sure I will go down the Benzo path?? Looks like another addiction waiting to happen?? WTF EVERYTHING is an addiction path to me if it makes me feel better!!
Why the Fuck I can not be normal?? But at almost 60 that boat has sailed a long time ago!!
All is Well - ICE

I am not into exercises at all, @Iceman1216 do you think that running every morning would suffice? I can't really lift weights and put too much pressure on my back because I got a few medical conditions there
Just take long slow Walks will be perfect, will release endorfines, and fill you time , both are very helpful

I am taking 20-30 minute walks daily, I'm very fast tho as I have long legs, I have bronchitis right now so I can't really run but as soon as I get well I will start doing it, any tips for running for someone not well versed in psyhical activities?

I am taking 20-30 minute walks daily, I'm very fast tho as I have long legs, I have bronchitis right now so I can't really run but as soon as I get well I will start doing it, any tips for running for someone not well versed in psyhical activities?
Swimming is a huge plus if you have any kind of chronic pain normally.

I'm a big fan of hiking in nature. You can get a lot of work out without having to break too much of a sweat and there's a lot of beautiful nature to see.

Sorry to hear about your bronchitis, I hope that you feel better soon!