How did you get off your butt today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bike: 14.75
avg. speed: 13.4 mph
max speed: 25.2 mph
time on bike: 1:05:55
cal burned: 588.5

Does anyone have any experience using a "foam roller" or similar type of equipment?
I love stretching on my Middle Eastern Rug while the Cable TV is on. I could see myself using a length of PVC pipe to ( in a nutshell ) rehabilitate my muscles while watching cable tv.

source: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm
Foam rollers offer many of the same benefits as a sports massage, without the big price tag.
The foam roller not only stretches muscles and tendons but it also breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue. By using your own body weight and a cylindrical foam roller you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues.

How It Works

The superficial fascia is a soft connective tissue located just below the skin. It wraps and connects the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels of the body. Together, muscle and fascia make up what is called the myofascia system. For various reasons including disuse, not enough stretching, or injuries, the fascia and the underlying muscle tissue can become stuck together. This is called an adhesion and it results in restricted muscle movement. It also causes pain, soreness and reduced flexibility or range of motion.
Myofascial release is a body work technique in which a practitioner uses gentle, sustained pressure on the soft tissues while applying traction to the fascia. This technique results in softening and lengthening (release) of the fascia and breaking down scar tissue or adhesions between skin, muscles and bones.

Myofascial release has also been shown to relieve various muscle and joint pains such as IT band syndrome and shin splints as well as improving flexibility and range of motion.

Foam rollers are inexpensive and with a bit of experimentation you can target just about any muscle group. The latest style of foam roller, the Grid Foam Roller, has a unique design and construction that provides a more targeted trigger point self massage.

Last edited:
^BOSSSSS!! How'd it feel? *That* is a solid-ass workout right thurr :)

It was different for sure, I think part of that might be from the weird sleep schedule and hotel room. I can't wait to try it again under normal conditions.
This was the first time I actually felt my glutes being used to come back up out of a squat, pretty sure that's a good thing. And yeah, waddle for sure tomorrow.

bike: 14.75
avg. speed: 13.4 mph
max speed: 25.2 mph
time on bike: 1:05:55
cal burned: 588.5

Does anyone have any experience using a "foam roller" or similar type of equipment?
I love stretching on my Middle Eastern Rug while the Cable TV is on. I could see myself using a length of PVC pipe to ( in a nutshell ) rehabilitate my muscles while watching cable tv.

source: http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/flexibilityandstretching/ss/FoamRoller.htm
Foam rollers offer many of the same benefits as a sports massage, without the big price tag.
The foam roller not only stretches muscles and tendons but it also breaks down soft tissue adhesions and scar tissue. By using your own body weight and a cylindrical foam roller you can perform a self-massage or myofascial release, break up trigger points, and soothe tight fascia while increasing blood flow and circulation to the soft tissues.

How It Works

The superficial fascia is a soft connective tissue located just below the skin. It wraps and connects the muscles, bones, nerves and blood vessels of the body. Together, muscle and fascia make up what is called the myofascia system. For various reasons including disuse, not enough stretching, or injuries, the fascia and the underlying muscle tissue can become stuck together. This is called an adhesion and it results in restricted muscle movement. It also causes pain, soreness and reduced flexibility or range of motion.
Myofascial release is a body work technique in which a practitioner uses gentle, sustained pressure on the soft tissues while applying traction to the fascia. This technique results in softening and lengthening (release) of the fascia and breaking down scar tissue or adhesions between skin, muscles and bones.

Myofascial release has also been shown to relieve various muscle and joint pains such as IT band syndrome and shin splints as well as improving flexibility and range of motion.

Foam rollers are inexpensive and with a bit of experimentation you can target just about any muscle group. The latest style of foam roller, the Grid Foam Roller, has a unique design and construction that provides a more targeted trigger point self massage.

My experience is strictly unprofessional and nontechnical, SMR feels really good on sore muscles. I use it especially for lower body areas. I've seen people use do it at the gym, mostly people who look like they know what they're doing (meaning people who work there).

yo eating healthy is easier than youd think just grill some chicken breasts with a little bit of hot sauce, some steamed rice and a vegetable shit is bangin man.

Also tuna smells nasty but is a real good source of protein with low fat

and eggs are good too id usually make 3 at a time, 1 whole one then 2 just the whites

amanda- yes you should feel it in your glutes. and aside from being about as solid of a strength move as possible, it gives some of the best aesthetic results to females 8o

Bench press 3x10
Chest fly thing 3x10
Tricep pulldowns 3x10
Tricep extension 2x10
Shoulder press 3x10
Millitzry press 3x10

^dwe i hope you're taking notes on your #'s so you can progress, w/o overdoing it ;)

2 hours ashtanga vinyasa flow yesterday - good session opening hips and chest more with the variations. Kept closer to the Mysore style than usual though which was cool - more familiarity with the sequence.

2 hours of Muay Thai coming riiiiiiiiiiight up.

i have about 80 meters of bush and scrub to clear so we have room to put up a new fence.
chain saw, axe, pruning shears, secateurs, and fuck knows what else. should be a good work out.

Haven't done anything in 6 days. First I had a case of the fuck its, then cold windy weather along with a mild head cold.
Ran 3 mile train in 6C. Gotta get used to it winter is coming.
Not liking the leaves covering the trail though.

It depends what he means by max weight.

Going to failure is a no-no for dwe right now. Let's say he can get 10 reps on something w/o a single more; his 9th rep was extremely hard, and he could just *barely* squeeze the 10th out. He shouldn't be going for that 10th, he should be staying at 9. Going to the 10th is okay once in a while, but if he does it that way ('to failure') on all of his sets he'll burn out fast and progress will slow, it just takes too long to recover appropriately (in his shoes. more advanced trainers, and ppl who use steroids, *can* go to that level safely w/o the overtraining syndrome that he would experience).
Go hard and go heavy, but you're gonna find that going for that last one, that rep that takes everything in you to squeeze out, is what'll lead to the 'zombie arms' you had mentioned a couple weeks ago ;)
Once you're further along that will change, but that still doesn't even mean you're aiming for "failure" on every set (google programs like westside, or westside for skinny bastards, and you'll see ME and DE days. ME days are max effort days, and even though you do go to max effort, it's not on all sets you build towards your max effort set. Note that this program is NOT a bodybuilding program it's a powerlifting program so don't just read it and follow it if your goal is just bulking. While there's a high correlation between muscle size and strength, you do not approach their training in the same manner)

EDIT- DWE, i hope you took my advice to heart re keeping a training journal, so that you can see that each time you go to the gym, when you get the feeling of that "9th" rep I mentioned earlier, the next time you go it'll be on your 10th, then your 11th, and so on. *Any* time that you're able to get past 10-12 reps on a set, that's your indication that you're ready to raise the weight for that exercise. Aim to keep your reps in the 5-10 range per set. Also, a tip to be safer and stronger on your sets - do warm up sets with lighter weights. People mistakenly believe such sets will take away from their "working" sets, but the opposite is true. Another powerlifter analogy: when a powerlifter is trying for, say, a 315lbs X 1 bench press "max effort" lift, he'll do a lot of lightweight sets, then sets like 225X3, 255X2, 275X2, 295X1, and then go for his 315lbs <<NOTE: powerlifter athletes, that was for example's sake, and while it differs obviously between athletes that's the type of buildup I would use - I know that some like to make subtly different jumps as they get towards their max effort lift>>

Last edited by a moderator:
Ran 1 mile this morning at the track. Competing thoughts about walking up to the park or taking a nap.

walked dog 3 miles then did some bicep curls and tricep exercises when i got in that'll do lol

Status
Not open for further replies.