• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How did you get off your butt today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
been walking the dog every night for the past week. I love the weather this time of year and since Im living with my Dad right now I like to walk her whenever I can because she's a really good dog.

Yesterday was a rest day, but I did some dancing at a club for most of the night. Good exercise, good for mood. My current goal in life, and working out helps me to achieve this, is to manipulate my neurotransmitters and brain chemistry in order to keep myself in a good, positive mood all the time without the aid of drugs, so that I can be happy and function, complete school work and brush my teeth before I go to sleep at night.

Today is also a rest day (no time in my schedule Thursday's for a good workout), tomorrow I do my chest and arm workout + cardio and abs.
I can't say it was much of the reasoning behind doing what i'm doing, but godddddamn was that the result!! Only time drugs were this good was like *right* after using. this is sooo superior.

Anyway,
comfortable paced run 2.3mi @21.44
and about to start a "yoga" session, have some new poses to go for now :)

I can't say it was much of the reasoning behind doing what i'm doing, but godddddamn was that the result!! Only time drugs were this good was like *right* after using. this is sooo superior.

I feel you there. I first started out out of pure vanity, I thought I was fat (I was 27 pounds over what I consider my healthy weight) and I wanted to be skinny. As I've adapted to this new lifestyle, I have noticed mood fluctuations that are dependent upon how much activity I get in a day and how well I eat in a day (where more activity and better diet lead to better mood, and where less activity and eating shitty breakfast lunch and dinner lead to qualitative decreases in my mood). Along with my new goal of not neglecting the social aspect of my life, working out has been a big contributor towards coming out of a deep, numbing depression. It feels good, man.

well said.

passed on yoga to ride out to beagleboy's hood; we rode big ass bridge ride then ocean swims tehn urban assault riding around tourist trap areas,then rode home, so 29.4mi bike.

Working out of town sucks for working out, but its all walking about a .8 mile loop around the winery the entire day. At four loops a day that's 3.2 miles of walking, not too bad.

Monday-Friday: 3.2 miles of walking per day
Today:
Bike 20

Top half-
Bicep curl 7.5 lb 4x12
Hammer curl 7.5 lb 4x12
Shoulder press 7.5 lb 4x10
Tricep extension 7.5 lb 4x15
Tricep row and kickback 7.5 lb 3x10
Forward and lateral raises 5 lb 4x10

Bottom half-
Hamstring curl 4x15
Leg extensions 4x12
Calf raises 35 lb 3x15
Leg press 90 lb 4x15

Yes :(
I was planning to increase it each week but with this whole being out of town I feel like I'm playing catch up rather than improving.
Except the forward/lateral raises. Those are a bitch still.

Seriously though, I have (had?) absolutely no upper body strength. My arms look like sticks.

perhaps you could post a pic to illustrate?.....

but ya if you're just outta town for a week it'll make no difference (about a week is fine, more than that you'd have slight regression begin).

Do you do pull/chin ups ever?

would recommend getting off those light lil freeweights, in favor of bars and/or compound moves, you'll gain sooo much faster (and don't worry, girls don't really have the ability to "bulk up" lol - common concern i always had to overcome in training chicks ;P )

This is a few months old, ignore the bruises. In my biomechanics class we would measure our grip/pull/push strength and I was consistently in the lowest percentiles, once my prof wasn't even sure if I was actually pulling that's how much lack of strength there is.

NSFW:
0402121357b.jpg

Pull-ups or Chin-ups? Bahahaha, no. Definitely no but I would like to eventually.

What do you mean by compound moves? Ones that use more than one specific muscle? I would love to start using a bar but one, I don't know where to begin as far as weight (the bar alone is 45 lb) and two, I'm not sure if I would be using it correctly.

Yesterday- Bike 30 min, stretching, abs, lower back, and planks.

Can you get your chin up if you swing and use body leverage? That would be ideal to get some base strength going on your pulls.

By compound moves, yes, anything that involves more than 1 joint as the primary mover ('isolation' moves, which is what you seem to focus on). Isolation moves are an extremely inefficient way to train. And re bars, olympic bars are 45 but if crappy gyms and many home setups have dinky bars that can be half that weight (the kind of bars that have take the thinner-hole plates). There's also curl bars ;)
Even with an olym bar, i've little doubt you could make it work since you're using both hands (duh ;P ), so 22.5 apiece, which is higher than what you're at *BUT* you are more than 2X a single side when using your whole body (ie, someone who can bench 200 at their max, cannot bench 100lbs dumbbells). Look into bent barbell rows, a quintessential move that i can almost guarantee you'll be able to do (go very easy / test it the 1st session you try it, even if it seems simple/light, so you can eval a day or two later yknow?), and bent bb rows are not only gonna be a huge move for back/bicep/forearm, but the entire posterior chain(glutes/hammies/etc), and everyone loves developin their post chain :)

So far today, ~40min of yoga trying out some new poses. The pics i'm learning from (images.google.com is my teacher, lol) make them look incredibly easy ;PPP

rest of mah day:
rode to beagleboy's hood, we rode to the ocean and swam in heavy-waves (thnx "Sandy" or whatever the hell this storm's called)

so
~27mi total ride
40min yoga
ocean swim
2.3mi jog (well, am 5min from walking out the door on that one ;P ) <<EDIT: trail was dark<duh> so i ran a different route. I put down 3.0mi in a scratch over 23min. :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get your chin up if you swing and use body leverage? That would be ideal to get some base strength going on your pulls.

By compound moves, yes, anything that involves more than 1 joint as the primary mover ('isolation' moves, which is what you seem to focus on). Isolation moves are an extremely inefficient way to train. And re bars, olympic bars are 45 but if crappy gyms and many home setups have dinky bars that can be half that weight (the kind of bars that have take the thinner-hole plates). There's also curl bars ;)
Even with an olym bar, i've little doubt you could make it work since you're using both hands (duh ;P ), so 22.5 apiece, which is higher than what you're at *BUT* you are more than 2X a single side when using your whole body (ie, someone who can bench 200 at their max, cannot bench 100lbs dumbbells). Look into bent barbell rows, a quintessential move that i can almost guarantee you'll be able to do (go very easy / test it the 1st session you try it, even if it seems simple/light, so you can eval a day or two later yknow?), and bent bb rows are not only gonna be a huge move for back/bicep/forearm, but the entire posterior chain(glutes/hammies/etc), and everyone loves developin their post chain :)

It makes sense that moves involving only a single joint are inefficient. Next time (don't look at today's workout) I go I'll try bent bb rows as well as some other compound exercises. Thanks :)

2 mile run with my mommy.
Bicep curl 10 lbs 4x10
Hammer curl 10 lb 4x10
Tricep extension 10 lb 4x10
Tricep kickback 7.5 lb 4x12
Shoulder press 7.5 lb 4x12
Forward and lateral raises 5 lb 4x10
Leg press 90 lb 4x15
Quad thing 70 lb 4x15
Hamstring thing ? lb 4x15
Calf raises 40 lb 4x15

follow this form.
couple notes:
- *NEVER* let your lower-back go past flat to rounded (the wrong way obvi- "asses out" is proper, as it is with all movements :) )
- the form page shows strict bent bb rows, but keep in mind that a proper, safe move is also the barbell shrug (same movement, only you're standing up straight, so it's a trapezius move). Any angle of bend between the the two is fine, so long as you do not ever round that lower back, and also keep an eye on making sure that, if using a light-enough bar, to never let the bar's up/down path move forward/away from your body as that'll increase risk to lower back as well. Don't let cautions scare you it's just a 'be careful' so you don't go and hurt yourself on the 1st sess or two, after doing it a lil bit you'll have a natural feel for what's right :)

Walked a a few miles to get booze.

They don't run a delivery service.

what kind of split are you on? are you doing shoulders twice in your split?(I ask because chest/push days typically have shoulders too)

to be honest dude, i have no idea what im doing. i just go in there every day and rotate from doing chest/tris one day, then the next shoulders/bis/back. Everyday i throw in some legs and abs too. I need a better regimen.

Status
Not open for further replies.