View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Growing Shroomies in Secret

Iliketoswim

Bluelighter
This spring I wanted to grow some mushies. I've spent a bunch of time learning the whole process, but the thing is I live with my parents and my brothers. I can't have them find out. I probably won't end up growing them until I'm on my own (sighs in disappointment), but any interesting ideas on how it could be done?

Yeah don't do it, it could get your parents in serious trouble if the law finds out. Like jail and kicked out of the house trouble..for your parents. BUTTT if you were so inclined, growing mushrooms can be pretty stealthy as they don't smell, only need to be kept in room temp, in a jar and not disturbed while they are growing in there. After you birth them they should be ready in 2 weeks and can be kept on the FC w/ a few hours of sunlight a day.Check out the grow kits for more info. But like I said, it could end up very bad for you and your family. Think twice

Depending on the climate where you life, you could grow them outside. One of friends used to grow mushrooms and while he would fruit them indoors, he would also throw a lot of his mushroom cakes in his backyard and they started their own colony outside. But you should probably not risk getting your parents involved. Or yourself for that matter. Drug laws suck.

If you live on the bottom floor of your parents' house, then I think you should dig an underground lair 20 feet below the ground. In this lair you could do whatever you want - grow mushrooms, bring women back to it (have an extra bed in there, of course), and have a blast. Make sure the entrance to your lair is covered by a rug or something, so mom doesn't accidentally stumble upon it.

Look into growing outdoors. Who knows they are yours outside? Hell they grow naturally who would assume mushroom grow?

How do you expect to use say a pressure cooker for extended amounts of time in secret? It doesn't seem feasible at all unless you are practically living on your own already.

Growing outside requires sterilizing or pasteurizing substrate as well, but has the added disadvantage that especially in the first stages wood-loving psilocybes are extra hard to grow. So no, that is not really helping for a beginner.

Also, good points were raised about the legal issues for your parents - something we cannot actively help you with. If so inclined and determined, many things can be achieved - but it would take a lot. IMO not worth it, just wait.

Solopsis there's pre steralized substrate that can be colonized and used in a giant outdoor pre pasterized woodchip casing 4x4 ft. It's not easy, but a beginner can definitely do it. The problem is if spores are legal in their area.

Won't the parents notice a 4x4 woodchip area appear in the garden tho?

An indoor grow is out of the question. I live on a 50 acre farm..so an outdoor grow is looking doable.

If you live on the bottom floor of your parents' house, then I think you should dig an underground lair 20 feet below the ground. In this lair you could do whatever you want - grow mushrooms, bring women back to it (have an extra bed in there, of course), and have a blast. Make sure the entrance to your lair is covered by a rug or something, so mom doesn't accidentally stumble upon it.

That.
Or just build your lair under a bridge guarded by a troll. It's safer.

No seriously, when you are master of your own domain you'll be freer to do "stuff" like what SJ said. Until then don't risk getting your family in trouble.

But you could maybe go hunting for shrooms in the wild, and not bring any back home. If you're not into hiking it's not an option, but Shroomery has a list on "Which psilocybin mushrooms grow wild in my area?" and NJ reportedly has some.
I'd love to pick some but my area has no shrooms whatsoever according to that list and others.

Besides not needing to be on parents property I doubt they look over 50 acres...

Gl with it. I'd love to hear how it goes. You'll get great info on the shroomery Web site and they have a discussion board to. You will definitely find the help you need there.

Trust me I've been hunting the ones that supposedly grow in my state every season for years and I have no luck lol. Looks like I'll be inoculating some cakes For an outside bed!!

It's hard enough growing shrooms indoors, doing it outdoors is even harder.

And I think you need to start most outdoor grows indoors anyway, then transport the growing medium outdoors.

Colonizing pre sterslized substrate, spore syringe, and pre pasterized poo and wood.... I wouldn't be surprised if he could pasterize on property himself. Y'all act like it's hella hard and requires special skill vs an understanding of the mushroom grow style + hard work & effort. Honestly look into getting some other edible grow kits you can make an outdoor casing of. Imagine a pit full of shitaki and oysters.

Seriously this person should be encouraged to start a hobby rather than make buying rc seem easier. There needs to be more mushrooms growing in this world

You need to colonize an initial substrate first though, I don't think going from spores to wood immediately is the best thing. First you go to something like cartboard, though I generally like grains best (chicken fodder like). I've had fails with Pan Cyan (on freshly collected horse poo) and Psilocybe Azures / Cyans before, they are rather picky in my experience.

I don't like grow kits a whole lot but for someone who is trying to do it stealthy that might be the most reasonable (though also most expensive) option after all.

There's bagged pre steralized substrates with injection points that could be colonized then thrown outdoors unless it is thrown into pasterized medium in a bag before throwing it outdoors on a pasterized chip need.

You can't hide it that well.

I have never grown them but I knew people who did decades ago-who no longer do, and the one guy had parents that were OK with him doing this but he was an adult at 18, and going to move out within 2-3 months to attend a university, and the other guy was an adult living on his own.

Just wait until you're an adult living on your own.

Trust me I've been hunting the ones that supposedly grow in my state every season for years and I have no luck lol. Looks like I'll be inoculating some cakes For an outside bed!!

Good luck, then.

I don't even have the luck of being in an area where they supposedly grow wild. I'd have to travel some 200 miles northward. But I do find some mushshroom species growing wild when mountain biking in the Autumn and because of this have daydreamed about being the first to find those special strains colonized further South.

The other thing I've basically dreamed about is if a critical mass of people in every area had the knowledge to collect the right spores and spread them in the wild, in some years the psilocybin strains would have maybe colonized all the zones where they could grow wild with adequate weather. That old bag Timothy L. sure would be happy that mind bending shit was available to anyone able to take a walk in the shitwoods.