NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

pmac5209 said:
What are your favorite Dead songs?

I'd have to go with Scarlet Begonias and Dark Star. How about you guys?
I could never pick, but off the top of my mind:
Eyes of the World, Althea, Dark Star, The Other One........

I could go on. LOVE them.:)

long live pigpen!

early dead early dead early dead... i'll forever say that my favorite sound was everything from 66-69, especially the '67 versions of Viola Lee.. such bluesy goodness

edit: if you can find the Viole Lee Rehearsals from 01/66.. treasure it! look around on bt.etree for it

Last edited:
>>What are your favorite Dead songs?>>

I generally dislike them, but i enjoy the weird ass shit they do at concerts in between songs. Compiled on "infrared roses".

ebola

Youkai said:
they should all just get a j-o-b!

keep your day job
'till your night job pays

(this song was dropped from the grateful dead repertoire at the request of fans. seriously. - robert hunter)

nealcassady said:
long live pigpen!

early dead early dead early dead... i'll forever say that my favorite sound was everything from 66-69, especially the '67 versions of Viola Lee.. such bluesy goodness

edit: if you can find the Viole Lee Rehearsals from 01/66.. treasure it! look around on bt.etree for it

smart man right here!!

anyone here ever see DSO? I am going ot see them in a week and was wonedering how they are.... since all my psych hook ups have none and i still get pee tested for THC by the government. I think I will be doing some MDMA... i dunno how good is DSO?

^ they are sick as hell :) but please don't mention an event together with drugs :\

GratefulFloyd said:
anyone here ever see DSO? I am going ot see them in a week and was wonedering how they are.... since all my psych hook ups have none and i still get pee tested for THC by the government. I think I will be doing some MDMA... i dunno how good is DSO?

They're a good cover band. I personally wouldn't pay a lot to see them, or see them at a big venue but that's me.

as i have said before, i wouldn't pay a $20 hooker to wear my dead wife's clothes.

DSO is beyond awesome. close your eyes and you'll swear your at a real dead show. Iv done a east coast tour with them befor and it was prob the best tour Iv ever done!

If you love the dead, then go to DSO. I actualy enjoy DSO more then phill or bob. DSO is withouta doubt my favorite touring act out there. where else can you go for the entirety of teh dead? yes phill and weir play dead tunes but they put there own little mix into it. DSO plays replica shows, same jams same everything... and some original set lists.

SomeKindaLove said:
I love myself a Phil show though ... <3
yeah... for the drugs. :p

Not realy, I had a blast at the last phill show I went to, I still can feel the bass shooting through my spine to sugaree.

but if you want to know why I think DSO is better then phill or bob... just look at the set lists. Part of the dead was there ability to seemlessly transist from one song to another, you dont find that as well with bob or phill. DSO though.... oh yeah!!!!

^ I think Phil draws a great crowd (vibes wise) and can still jam the fuck out and melt your face right off :) now with regards to "seamless transit" yeah I can see that largely because Phil & Friends is constantly changing lineup but I think they do a pretty good job. I know I'm gonna piss somebody off with this, but I'm going to let it out and say that I really don't have much use for solo Bobby or for Ratdog though ...

SomeKindaLove said:
^ I think Phil draws a great crowd (vibes wise) and can still jam the fuck out and melt your face right off :) now with regards to "seamless transit" yeah I can see that largely because Phil & Friends is constantly changing lineup but I think they do a pretty good job. I know I'm gonna piss somebody off with this, but I'm going to let it out and say that I really don't have much use for solo Bobby or for Ratdog though ...
looks like rain?

ratdog is always full of the smelly dirty hippie varriety. ;)

and I'll say it again, bob weir looks like harrson ford from "the fugitive".

anyone ever seen cubensis? they put on pretty good dead shows. they are kinda the DSO of teh west coast just... not as well known.

<3

Anyone know just how many bands are doin nothing but dead tunes? In Missouri The Schwag is the show to go to, they even got a private campground, so the whole parking lot scene is really exceptional.

off topic, but anyone check out a George Clinton show recently? now THERE's some conspiracy theory shit. 8o