NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

That is a great book. I just picked up Searching for the Sound: My life with the Grateful Dead by Phil Lesh today. I've heard it's good. I'll letcha know after I read it.

ooh yeah

I'd probably give my left nut to see Good Ol' Jerry & the Boys even for just 1 song, any show... honestly if i had to choose, they would be my favorite band. I've seen "The Dead", wasn't too impressed.. phil lesh & friends as well as ratdog are rockin' it out. anyone seen the Rhythm Devils???? I saw them in Toledo OH and it was great. Steve Kimock on guitar, Mike Gordon on bass, Billy and Mickey of course bumpin balls to the walls on percussion... one other dude i forget his name, and some random chick singer, i forget her name as well hah. It was a really great show though and most of their short-lived "tour" (if you wanna even call it that) was pretty badass and is available on www.archive.org

Peace & Love everybody

^the chick in rythym devils is the lead singer for deep banana blackout.
I cant say i liked her being the lead singer of rythym devils though. She had to read lyrics off a piece of paper.
IMO if you are in a band you have to know the songs.

Happy early bday jerry.

Thoughts on DSO

I'm pretty confident when I tell you Dark Star Orchestra seriously have their shit together. I saw them once at Bogart's in Cincinnati and I just recently saw them at AllGood. Needless to say I have not been the same since.

You have to give them credit, especially when younger neo-Deadhead-types (such as myself i would suppose) who never got the chance to see GD...to see a band duplicate Dead shows like they do is incredible. when I saw then I honestly felt/feel like they are sent down from Heaven to play Grateful Dead music..

I will hopefully be attending their show at Variety Playhouse in ATL sept. 8th (two days after my b-day) and then i'll be seeing the Allman Bros/Dave Matthews band. not to get off topic, i apologize dearly, but in my opinion Dave sucks dick. His band is great, however..

On the other hand... ONELOVE!

The Grateful Garcia Gathering takes place August 2-5 in central Wisconsin. Melvin Seals is headlining along with a bunch of other bands paying homage to Jerry's legacy. I know it's short notice, but this event is definitely worth checking out. Great bands, awesome vibes, and a perfect venue.

Check out http://www.gratefulgarciagathering.com/ for more info.

Last edited:
Grateful Dead Appreciation

n732246292_609039_1616.jpg

it was 300$....I still need to get the skull done in white and get a touch up...might add to it but not until I can really find something worth doing to it

Can I get a short list of songs to start off with?

I have Casey Jones, that's been my first step.

Basically, anything "catchy" from them would be nice.

Sugar Magnolia
Box Of Rain
Truckin
Uncle John's Band
Ripple
Franklin's Tower
Eyes of the World
(these are just songs that are kinda short and more popular)
If you want a few really good songs that are my favorites:
Loser
Terrapin Station
It Hurts Me too
China Cat Sunflower
Brokedown Palace
Bertha

^ all good suggestions. some more:

Althea
Reuben and Cherise (although maybe more of a JGB song)
Fire on the Mountain
Dark Star is a good short one
Music Never Stopped
Playing in the Band
I Know You Rider
Morning Dew
Sugaree
Stella Blue

It is a pretty endless lists. For simplicity you could just start picking up some of the Dick's Picks or just listen to father hippy (michael)

If you wanna get into the dead you should go buy The Closing of Winterland 12/31/78 great 4 disc cd set. my step dad got it 4 me when I was first getting into the dead I never looked back

Or if you wanna start with studio album's you can never go wrong with, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty

MaxPowers said:
Can I get a short list of songs to start off with?

I have Casey Jones, that's been my first step.

Basically, anything "catchy" from them would be nice.

I would definately NOT start off with studio work, it is all good in its own right but it really does not capture what the Dead were at all. If you are looking to get into the Dead I would recomend the album "Live Dead" Or any of the "Dicks Picks" Series shows from 72-78 would be my recomendation, there is also another unlimited resource for dead music and that would be Archive.org I would give you the link to some good shows but i cant seem to access it right now. The Closing of Winterland is a good dvd but i would recomend the "Grateful Dead Movie"
For a list of songs

Eyes of the World
Scarlet Begonias
Fire on the Mountain
Morning Dew
Dark Star
One More Saturday Night
China Cat Sunflowr/I Know You Rider
The Other One
Help On The Way
Slipknot
Franklins Tower
US Blues
Not Fade Away
Weather Report Suite (Let it Grow etc....)

Fuckin yeah im pretty high i thought of that i dont know theres more if archive works ill give u links to some shows