NEMD Grateful Dead Appreciation Thread

Get "One From The Vault" and "Two From The Vault"

Live but great sound quality. Also great tracks.

Don Luigi said:
Get Europe '72! I was jamming to shakedown street earlier, so damn funky.

Really, I could be wrong but i could have sworn that shakedown street wasnt played until 78-79 maybe i learn something new every day...

shakedown debuted on 31 august 1978 and as such ain't on europe 72.

took me a very long time to get into these guys, but i finally GET it. I like their studio albums better than their shows though

tripmonkey505 said:
Really, I could be wrong but i could have sworn that shakedown street wasnt played until 78-79 maybe i learn something new every day...

Nah I never said it was on Europe 72'. I was just saying how I was jamming to it earlier in the day lol. It's such a funky song, some of my friends say it's a bit cheesy, they may be right but it don't phase me!

72' Has, in my opinion, the best version of Cumberland Blues out there.

Who else finds Brent Mydland to be the best keyboardest? I still find pigpen better at all things organ tho.

JosephTHeSequel said:
Grateful Dead. Shitty cover band in my opinion.

Mh I disagree, for one Brent's cover of Dear Mr Fantasy.. you realize they wrote like 100 songs right?

i could seriously do without ever hearing brent sing dear mr fantasy again. especially if they followed it with a hey jude reprise.

I never cared much for most of Brent's songs.

But in all fairness, Brent was a big part of revitalizing the Dead after the 70s, and the shows I saw between 1981-1984 were for the most part smokin.

The Dead never really recovered from the loss of Brent. The last full tour I did from start to finish was Summer 1990. Although I continued to go to a lot of shows, and saw some very good ones post Brent, it was still never really the same again.

i really think that it had a lot more to do with garcia being on his last legs than anything welnick did. most of the brent songs though, ugh. was reminded earlier today how terrible they sounded singing gimme some lovin'.

i also think the welnick songs suck, btw.

:)

(except i think i liked it's all too much)

Ody said:
Mh I disagree, for one Brent's cover of Dear Mr Fantasy.. you realize they wrote like 100 songs right?

IM just kidding. If you guys like downloading aud's on archive you should dl 8/6/71 from the Hollywood Palladium. The sound is amazing and the show kicks serious ass.

Also, copies of these sbds are around and need to be listened to

5/7/72- Wigan England- Bickershaw Music Festival

2/9/73 Stanford

2/26/77 -San Bernadino, CA

3/18,19,20/77 -Winterland

5/9/77- Buffalo, NY

7/8/78- Red Rocks

3/13/68 -Carousel Ballroom

4/2,3/89- Civic Arena

Those are a few good ones to get started with.

When do you guys think it was apparent that Jerry was using smack? I think around 1978 ? I dunno I was just watchin the Closing of Winterland DVD and Jerry seemed junked out on stage. anyone else agree?

What are your favorite Dead songs?

I'd have to go with Scarlet Begonias and Dark Star. How about you guys?