• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Graffiti

As a graffiti writer, I'm offended by a LOT of stuff in this thread.

First of all, just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it's wrong.

Secondly, there are unwritten rules in graff that people not involved in the subculture know nothing about (like not hitting churches/private property/etc.)

Third, no one can say something is or isn't art if they didn't create it themselves.

Some of the best pieces I've ever seen have been done illegally.

blah...i can't even straighten out my thoughts on the subject because it upsets me so much to see people criticize it when they probably know close to nothing about it

I think it can ruin some things, but I value it as well...sometimes we just need to think outside the box.

A Rhombus. Or Any Quadrangle, UnEven.

^
The Square.
Think Outside The Square.

A striking piece of artwork is a striking piece of artwork however or where ever it is done.

Look at the works of Banksy

Having said that, garbage like some dickheads tag is just another bit of over used, bland garbage. There is nothing inspiring and/or refereshing about someones tag on a train seat. Thats just another form of territorial macho posing.

Even a lot of the general pieces you se around inner city for example are just examples of endless regurgitation of every bit of graf ever applied to a wall since 1982.

If graf artists want to be taken seriously they should take one dose of originality and another two of talent or just fuck off back to tafe

psycosynthesis said:
I'm sure 'permission' isn't really considered. Doing so would be largely antithetical to the whole concept of Graffiti as a political and social statement, wouldn't it?

Because making a political or social statement really is the reason why silly little boys spray paint on stuff they do not own.

No........silly little boys do there spray painting because it helps to reduce the massive inferiority complex they have.

Please dont try to make it out to be anything more than it really is.

Chicago66 said:
As a graffiti writer, I'm offended by a LOT of stuff in this thread.

First of all, just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean it's wrong.

blah...i can't even straighten out my thoughts on the subject because it upsets me so much to see people criticize it when they probably know close to nothing about it

I dont agree with something because it is wrong............

To be able to criticize, I only need to have an opinion and know that its illegal and does hurt a lot of people and costy me and every other tax payer a lot of money.

So dont tell me that I have no right to criticize.

Seriously though. How many of these graffiti people have had to pay to get a rendered brick fence cleaned and painted to have some little DOFF82's tag removed.

There is no ownership because they dont have any respect for other people nor how hard other people work for their money

^What? So every graffiti artist is an unemployed bum without a concept of hard work? Granted, there are some who just paint all day, every day, steal paint etc etc. And there are those who hold down steady jobs and also paint. Don't generalise.

MazDan said:
Because making a political or social statement really is the reason why silly little boys spray paint on stuff they do not own.

No........silly little boys do there spray painting because it helps to reduce the massive inferiority complex they have.

Please dont try to make it out to be anything more than it really is.

Whatever man. You don't get it. I don't expect you to. I will just say there is a major difference between some punk kid writing a shitty tag on a wall and an adult, mature ARTIST creating a beautiful piece of art on a wall. That being said, some of the best graff artists I know are younger than me, and are far from silly little boys.

And if you think that the Banksy works pictured above aren't making a statement, then open your mind a little bit.

psycosynthesis said:
^What? So every graffiti artist is an unemployed bum without a concept of hard work? Granted, there are some who just paint all day, every day, steal paint etc etc. And there are those who hold down steady jobs and also paint. Don't generalise.

No thats not what I said, thats what you said.

If you took the time to look you would see that I do agree with your support of innovative art regardless of canavs. Im talking about the pathetic garbage that covers everything that stands still in certain parts of inner Sydney

However, If some tool sprays some pathetic shit on someones home then I am hgoing to say that they aren't taking ownership of their actions. When they do it they aren't thinking - 'how will this effect the owner of this home finacially and how would I feel if someone else came along and did this to my car for example'

eggman88888 said:
There is no ownership because they dont have any respect for other people nor how hard other people work for their money

You might not have said they were unemployed bums, but you are implying the above.

You can be gainfully employed and hard working, yet still have no respect for other people or what they put in to own their personal assets and possessions. Would you agree with that statement?

Yes. Yes I would. Being gainfully employed and hardworking isn't necessarily a prerequisite for respect in any way, shape or form...including for other peoples work and resulting assets.

Anyway, that aside I agree with you on the subject that the majority of 'tagging' is trash. No self-respecting graffiti artist would write on someone's wall or place of residence (place of business, i.e a back or side wall might be a different matter). Or at least I'd hope not. Sorry to snap and jump to conclusions... been a long day.

Threesome

Good.
You was gettin' to paddlin' bizz.

Capt'n E.E.G.,
Cho know the
difference betwix
'they'
&
'some'.

PEACE
UnS
:)

I think there is a difference between defacement and expression. If you want to be stupid and write your name, or gang stuff, or bs like that. Don't. If you want to do art, that has value or sends a message in a place where it is not going to harm anything...a alley for example instead if someplace like a front of a building in use, or a church... get what I'm saying. I value it to some extent, but there are people that I lose the respect for it because of the way they choose to go about it.

For those interested and haven't seen it or want to see it again I found this show - Not Quite Art - that was on the ABC that's freely downloadable to be really awesome and discusses this issue.

I'm pro graff - anti tag - there's some incredible creativity out there in graff and stencil form that really brightens up the inner west and other areas and as someone pointed out the signal boxes around the central coast almost look like they were commissioned.

Respect is the key.

I like good pieces. I hate tags.

But don't graff on my fucking property. Its mine, not yours. I dont care if you are Leonardo Da Vinci, dont do it.

What do ya write bra.......

Some tags look ok. Most look like scribble. I love the good pieces tho.