• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Fluoxetine for Tramadol withdrawl

supersonic89

Bluelighter
Hi guys.

I will be several days without taking Tramadol (I run out and I can get it in about 10 more days), so I plan to take Fluoxetine (AKA Prozac) to ease withdrawal symptoms a bit since Tramadol apparently inhibits serotonin reuptake a bit.

Do you think this can work?

Last edited:
I'd be careful as Fluoxetine is a MUCH stronger Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor than Tramadol. It will definitely prevent that part of the withdrawal, but it won't help you with the opioid withdrawal part. Tramadol also Inhibits the reuptake or Noradrenaline as Fluoxetine does not.
So it will HELP but don't expect to be symptom-free.
Btw, you know Fluoxetine and Prozac are the same thing, right?

I'd take the smallest dose of Fluoxetine (maybe half of the lowest dose pill) because suddenly taking more of that type of med when when you're not used to it can cause severe anxiety, panic, sweating, tremor, nightmares and diarrhea.

I'd be careful as Fluoxetine is a MUCH stronger Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor than Tramadol. It will definitely prevent that part of the withdrawal, but it won't help you with the opioid withdrawal part. Tramadol also Inhibits the reuptake or Noradrenaline as Fluoxetine does not.
So it will HELP but don't expect to be symptom-free.
Btw, you know Fluoxetine and Prozac are the same thing, right?

I'd take the smallest dose of Fluoxetine (maybe half of the lowest dose pill) because suddenly taking more of that type of med when when you're not used to it can cause severe anxiety, panic, sweating, tremor, nightmares and diarrhea.

Ok thanks for the advice ChemicallyEnhanced.

In fact, when I've been without taking Tramadol what affects me most are the serotonin-related withdrawal (those annoying electro-shocks hahaha). So I think it could help a little.

I honestly don't think it will help much. When I quit tramadol after 8 months of 1000mg a day I transitioned to loperamide which worked pretty well at high doses (~80mg/day). I can't recommend this in good conscience however since loperamide is dangerous at high doses.

What dose of tramadol were you taking?

I honestly don't think it will help much. When I quit tramadol after 8 months of 1000mg a day I transitioned to loperamide which worked pretty well at high doses (~80mg/day). I can't recommend this in good conscience however since loperamide is dangerous at high doses.

What dose of tramadol were you taking?

Between 1000 and 1500 mgs. everyday from two months ago. Pretty stupid what I did. I know.

Do you think it affects me too much? It's only ten days without Tram.

Another concern would be when you resume the tramadol - could have too many serotonergic effects or even a chance of serotonin syndrome at those doses with a good amount of fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine has a long half-life (mainly due to a metabolite in chronic use) and wouldn't be ideal for those purposes due to the overlap. Probably venlafaxine would be closer, and has some NRI activity. Still risky.

Another concern would be when you resume the tramadol - could have too many serotonergic effects or even a chance of serotonin syndrome at those doses with a good amount of fluoxetine.

Fluoxetine has a long half-life (mainly due to a metabolite in chronic use) and wouldn't be ideal for those purposes due to the overlap. Probably venlafaxine would be closer, and has some NRI activity. Still risky.

Good point. The half-life is long, which could be dangerous if you jump back on tramadol (especially at those very high doses). Beyond the risk of serotonin syndrome, the mixture might result in a substantial seizure risk, again since those doses of tramadol alone are associated with seizures.

You might consider kratom in the meantime, perhaps combined with chlorpheniramine (an OTC antihistamine with some affinity for the SERT). You don't want any other serotonergics in your system if you plan to jump back on tramadol at those doses.

I am withdrawing from 1000-1500mgs of tramadol after an 7-almost 8 years habit right now. don't get into prozac, not worth it, Effexor aka venlafaxine is not a good idea either, I was prescribed that beside that, if you know you are strong willed, use clonazepam for those 10 days, but only ten so you won't have seizures, and taper your doses down, I know that it sounds funny from someone whou couldn't do it and everytime I reached 500mgs I jumped right back on them, but how did you get to 1500mg in 2 months only? man if you want an opioid taper down and choose another one so when you'll have to kick you won't have two types of withdrawals, if you are taking them for the antidepressant effects then I suggest tapering down to 50 mg then getting on codeine and something like prozac/effexor. you really have to sit down and think what I'm taking tramadol for? because it has really two properties. hell I would even recommend an anticonvulsant that's not a benzo, so you won't seize, you can do loperamide in lower doses for the shits and maybe some other otc meds like valerian root mixes for the insomnia. I think the latter is a better idea because with clonazepam you'll just only get into the habit of taking them both, I used to take an anticonvulsant called convulex . I am having brain zaps right now, try not getting out of the house at least if you really have no other option and have someone maybe check on you from time to time, I got someone that does it for me, not even psychically but through messages. I suggest quitting till you can, two months ain't that long you'll see with time that both the opioid and snri withdrawal effects will be more pronounced and then you'll say oh fuck

I am withdrawing from 1000-1500mgs of tramadol after an 7-almost 8 years habit right now. don't get into prozac, not worth it, Effexor aka venlafaxine is not a good idea either, I was prescribed that beside that, if you know you are strong willed, use clonazepam for those 10 days, but only ten so you won't have seizures, and taper your doses down, I know that it sounds funny from someone whou couldn't do it and everytime I reached 500mgs I jumped right back on them, but how did you get to 1500mg in 2 months only? man if you want an opioid taper down and choose another one so when you'll have to kick you won't have two types of withdrawals, if you are taking them for the antidepressant effects then I suggest tapering down to 50 mg then getting on codeine and something like prozac/effexor. you really have to sit down and think what I'm taking tramadol for? because it has really two properties. hell I would even recommend an anticonvulsant that's not a benzo, so you won't seize, you can do loperamide in lower doses for the shits and maybe some other otc meds like valerian root mixes for the insomnia. I think the latter is a better idea because with clonazepam you'll just only get into the habit of taking them both, I used to take an anticonvulsant called convulex . I am having brain zaps right now, try not getting out of the house at least if you really have no other option and have someone maybe check on you from time to time, I got someone that does it for me, not even psychically but through messages. I suggest quitting till you can, two months ain't that long you'll see with time that both the opioid and snri withdrawal effects will be more pronounced and then you'll say oh fuck

Last year I took Tramadol for a herniated disc and got hooked. After 4 months or more, I stop cold turkey using Clonazepam and Sertraline, but two months ago I relapsed again. With such large doses, I don't know how I haven't convulsed yet.

In my country it is almost impossible to get stronger opioids like Morphine. Not to mention Oxycodone or Hydromorphone. The only opioids that can be obtained here are Tramadol, Tapentadol, Bupe patches and Codeine syrup hahaha. Opioids are quite demonized here and almost nobody takes them but Tramadol is quite easy to get. Since my adolescence I have suffered from anhedonia and social anxiety, at least Tramadol helps me enjoy life more and not be so anxious.

Kratom is pretty easy to get too. Do you think I should replace Tramadol with Kratom?

Last edited:
I got really no experience with kratom, I got experience with morphine,oxy,fentanyl and codeine tho. those problems you got since your adolescence can't be covered forever, you have to deal with them , so in the end you are not using it for the opioid properties. I was not suggesting something stronger anyway since there were times when I was on both tramadol and oxy or tramadol and morphine and so on, but more like something like codeine that's weak enough similarly and more forgiving if you need it for pain, but it doesn't seem the case, if I may ask where are you from? the EU? North/south america? Asia etc? in the long run the things you suffer from will still be there and beside them a much more pronounced withdrawal will accompany them, maybe even making those things develop into a much worse condition. I'm from a country from the EU where you don't get scripted anything just like that, even to get tramadol you need a serious condition, oxy and morphine are for cancer patients and amputees. I think that you should quit it while ahead of it and if you think you still got the same conditions from the adolescence that terrible, deal with them another way, you can play the clonazepam game if you want but the benzo withdrawal will be worse than the opioid one.

there is someone on here although that quit tramadol with/or is using kratom, @CoastTwoCoast . She could help you out with a response with that.

I got really no experience with kratom, I got experience with morphine,oxy,fentanyl and codeine tho. those problems you got since your adolescence can't be covered forever, you have to deal with them , so in the end you are not using it for the opioid properties. I was not suggesting something stronger anyway since there were times when I was on both tramadol and oxy or tramadol and morphine and so on, but more like something like codeine that's weak enough similarly and more forgiving if you need it for pain, but it doesn't seem the case, if I may ask where are you from? the EU? North/south america? Asia etc? in the long run the things you suffer from will still be there and beside them a much more pronounced withdrawal will accompany them, maybe even making those things develop into a much worse condition. I'm from a country from the EU where you don't get scripted anything just like that, even to get tramadol you need a serious condition, oxy and morphine are for cancer patients and amputees. I think that you should quit it while ahead of it and if you think you still got the same conditions from the adolescence that terrible, deal with them another way, you can play the clonazepam game if you want but the benzo withdrawal will be worse than the opioid one.

there is someone on here although that quit tramadol with/or is using kratom, @CoastTwoCoast . She could help you out with a response with that.

Ok thefirm thanks for your tips.

I am from South America. The truth is that I plan to take Tramadol for the rest of my life but in smaller doses (no more than 400 mg). It is the best antidepressant I have taken. Much better than Sertraline, Escitalopram or Bupropion. Venlafaxine is the only antidepressant that comes close to Tramadol but it is too expensive.

Here too strong opioids (morphine and fentanyl) are prescribed to cancer patients and are almost impossible to get illegally. The most consumed drugs here are alcohol, weed and cocaine.

Tramadol doesn't usually work for the rest of your life. I loved using it as an antidepressant too in the past, thought I found the miracle cure. Tolerance comes into play, you won't be able to feel it anymore at some point.

Kratom will help you quit with no problem. Definitely use kratom instead of a hardcore antidepressant like Prozac.

Tramadol doesn't usually work for the rest of your life. I loved using it as an antidepressant too in the past, thought I found the miracle cure. Tolerance comes into play, you won't be able to feel it anymore at some point.

Kratom will help you quit with no problem. Definitely use kratom instead of a hardcore antidepressant like Prozac.

Ok thank you CoastTwoCoast for the advice.

Although sometimes I have taken small doses of Tramadol (100 mg) in 24 hours and the antidepressant effect is notorious. In larger doses I feel more the opioid effects.

What strain or type of Kratom do you recommend? And with what dose to start? Considering I have been taking more than 1000 mg of Tramadol everyday.

Ok thank you CoastTwoCoast for the advice.

Although sometimes I have taken small doses of Tramadol (100 mg) in 24 hours and the antidepressant effect is notorious. In larger doses I feel more the opioid effects.

What strain or type of Kratom do you recommend? And with what dose to start? Considering I have been taking more than 1000 mg of Tramadol everyday.

You don't have to use only one particular strain, but premium Bali powder is always a good one.

See this thread for the answers to any other questions:

You don't have to use only one particular strain, but premium Bali powder is always a good one.

See this thread for the answers to any other questions:

Thanks my man.

I'll take a look at the thread you suggest.

Haha, I took Tramadol to help me come off my Cymbalta more easily years ago. I don't think trying it the other way around is safe or a good idea. Nothing really seems to take care of the brain zaps though, I've had them a bunch of times from stopping a few different drugs and they seem to be a discontinuation symptom you just have to deal with to a greater or lesser degree. Or at least I've never found any way to stop them other than taking more of whatever I'm WDing from I suppose.

yeah, that's about it, you got to tought it out with the brain zaps, but I propose the manning up when you are at a much lower dose

Last year I took Tramadol for a herniated disc and got hooked. After 4 months or more, I stop cold turkey using Clonazepam and Sertraline, but two months ago I relapsed again. With such large doses, I don't know how I haven't convulsed yet.

In my country it is almost impossible to get stronger opioids like Morphine. Not to mention Oxycodone or Hydromorphone. The only opioids that can be obtained here are Tramadol, Tapentadol, Bupe patches and Codeine syrup hahaha. Opioids are quite demonized here and almost nobody takes them but Tramadol is quite easy to get. Since my adolescence I have suffered from anhedonia and social anxiety, at least Tramadol helps me enjoy life more and not be so anxious.

Kratom is pretty easy to get too. Do you think I should replace Tramadol with Kratom?

If you can obtain codeine that's probably the best thing to use for tramadol withdrawal. It won't help with the SNRI side of things but it'll help taper off the opioid properties for sure. I've even used codeine to help me get off oxy.

Depends how well you metabolise it how well it works, but most people will metabolise enough codeine into morphine that it will help with tapers, especially when you're coming off another weak opioid like tramadol.

Best of luck. And if I was you I'd move away from tramadol altogether due to those seizure risks.

Tapentadol is similar to tramadol and more potent but has much less seizure risk since it's an NRI not an SNRI, so it has no serotonin activity. If you can get tapentadol, it will be an improvement in the sense that you won't be risking seizures.