• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

First relapse after clean for 19 months. (Methamphetamine)

I don’t think it’s ever to late to get on top of you life, turn things around, and find a degree of peace and happiness.

My life was a litany of regrets and failure caused by very erratic behaviour as I swung from high motivation to abject disappointment in all areas especially work and relationships.

In my 40s, after getting fired from senior roles twice in two years I picked up an IV coke habit and then an Iv meth habit last lasted well over two years and was all consuming.

I tried NA and rehab with some success. But what really changed my life was getting a diagnosis for ADHD and scripted meds including dexamfetamine and a low dose anti-psychotic. My doctor was firmly of the view that my stimulant abuse was self-medicating and a symptom of ADHD (as stqted in DSM-v).

Anyway, following that I had 5 drug free years, almost never drank, had a very wonderful loving relationship for 4 years, and did a Masters degree where I scored 1st place on my cohort. For the first time in my whole life things were not an endless struggle to keep my head above water and feel normal.

To be perfectly honest, I did go back to taking drugs after 5 years, but for different reasons. However, I do now know exactly what my problems are and how to treat them should I decide I want to participate productively in society again.
Thanks for sharing, I've seen your posts all over and they've always been helpful. Crazy how it sounds like you're describing myself, yet I'm only 25.high motivation coupled with derailing situations that seem out of my control. Work and relationships have just drained me, and I've picked up a habit. I'm working on it though, and I still have the dream of getting my masters. Gotta recover first...thanks man