Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

films: Movies Re-visited from your youth: crap or not?

First the good, then the bad.

The first Naked Gun movie is fucking hilarious. I have seen this movie periodically throughout my life, and it is funnier every time you watch it. There are so many jokes I didn't get as a kid that are just hilarious. Seriously, you need to rewatch this.

As others have said before, Dune was a huge disappointment. It looked cool as a kid, and yes the effects were cool for the time and the film has a really cool look. Unfortunately, the dialouge is awful and the whole thing (especially the ending) makes a mockery of a brilliant book (and series).

Also shitty was Clan of the Cavebear. Again, great book and series, but god-awful movie. HBO needs to make Clan and Dune into their own respective series with people who stay more or less true to the book.

vibr8tor said:
OMG, you guys are missing a total winner (or really a loser, cuz it SUCKS!!!) for this thread! Maybe I'm wrong, cuz I half-assed skim read the replies, but I was looking for one movie that I saw on tv last weekend and I just couldn't believe how much coolness it has lost over the years. Like, this movie blew me away when I was a teen; the effects, the general feel of the movie, and of course the way too "IN YOUR FACE!!!" cleaver ending... Have you guessed it yet? ok, go ahead and peek:

NSFW:
ROBOCOP!!! =D
any film with a man covered in toxic waste exploding on impact with a speeding car, HAS to be a great film.

And don't you ever forget it.

EDIT: But yeah, the "campy" aspects of the Verhoven style have become all too obvious after the last 15 years. Great film for it's time... but it's exactly that - a film of it's time.

The Neverending Story. It was great when I was a kid... and it's still good now!

It has really aged well; probably because instead of using "cutting edge" special effects technology (like the rudimentary CGI you see in so many 80s movies that looks like crap now) the production relies heavily on old-fashioned and masterfully designed animatronics, puppets, make-up, prosthetics and elaborate set pieces. The source material is solid, and was adapted very well. Wolfgang Peterson's pacing and direction is right on the money. The synth-heavy score is very 80s in a good way.

But more than anything, the casting of the Childlike Empress elevates the film to another level. Even though she has only like 4 minutes of screen time, she is the character that has always stuck in my mind the most. They cast this heartbreakingly beautiful little girl who looks so fragile and sweet, and the way she pleads with Bastian to save her Kingdom... that is some great acting from an 11 year old!! I daresay it's iconic. I think I will always remember that scene.

Atreyu is kind of gay though.

The Neverending Story is Labyrinth with a better story, better acting and less random David Bowie-led Muppet song and dance numbers.

Falcor!!

I used to watch The Great Race with Tony Curtis, Jack Lemmon and Natalie Wood religiously as a child. Then when it came out on DVD a few years back I bought it and it's stood the test of time (for me, anyway).

nephron said:
Definitely Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Willow, Milo and Otis, and Neverending Story. Original Star Wars trilogy. Rocky Horror (don't ask...) The rest I'm not so sure about...

I didn't actually watch many movies as a kid. And none of them often enough to develop "favourites".

Yeah! I loved milo and otis when I was young, it was on tv a few weeks ago, I watched it coming down from AMT, it was very moving LOL.
Also Hot Shots with charlie sheen, havent seen it since I was a kid though....probably shit if I watched it now

i agree with naked gun! and i can't even listen to or sing my own national anthem right anymore because lt. drebin fucked it up so bad at the baseball game!

my "crap" movie is cloak & dagger. i thought that was THE coolest movie ever....saw it at columbia house online on sale (now i know why) and instantly took me back to my childhood....had to buy it. sat my hubby down to watch it with me cuz he's never heard of it....absolutely the cheesiest excuse for a murder-mystery ever. haha.

panic_the_digital said:
The first Naked Gun movie is fucking hilarious. I have seen this movie periodically throughout my life, and it is funnier every time you watch it. There are so many jokes I didn't get as a kid that are just hilarious. Seriously, you need to rewatch this.

the second one is better than the first imo.

Any fuckin movie with Jean Claude Van Damme in it

Used to think that stuff was shit hot when i was 13 now they just make me wince... and hard

Benefit said:
The Neverending Story. It was great when I was a kid... and it's still good now!

It has really aged well; probably because instead of using "cutting edge" special effects technology (like the rudimentary CGI you see in so many 80s movies that looks like crap now) the production relies heavily on old-fashioned and masterfully designed animatronics, puppets, make-up, prosthetics and elaborate set pieces. The source material is solid, and was adapted very well. Wolfgang Peterson's pacing and direction is right on the money. The synth-heavy score is very 80s in a good way.

But more than anything, the casting of the Childlike Empress elevates the film to another level. Even though she has only like 4 minutes of screen time, she is the character that has always stuck in my mind the most. They cast this heartbreakingly beautiful little girl who looks so fragile and sweet, and the way she pleads with Bastian to save her Kingdom... that is some great acting from an 11 year old!! I daresay it's iconic. I think I will always remember that scene.

Atreyu is kind of gay though.

The Neverending Story is Labyrinth with a better story, better acting and less random David Bowie-led Muppet song and dance numbers.

Falcor!!

i wuv you. Thats exactly how I feel about Neverending Story as well. I even have the Limahl song on CD!

The Goonies - it is still entertaining ... but i remember it bein the best movie of all time as a child.

all the Bugs Bunny/Loony Toons movies in the 80s - still the shit! i love em. If i catch them on cinamax i will totally sit down and watch them ;)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle - 1st movie was cool, second sucked ass! i mean it had Vanilla Ice in it! and the 3rd was OMFG retarded. Who idea was it to send the TMNT back to ancient Japan? I hope they were fired! But as I child i remember making my mother wait in line to be the first ones to see the movies when they were released

eggman88888 said:
Any fuckin movie with Jean Claude Van Damme in it

Used to think that stuff was shit hot when i was 13 now they just make me wince... and hard

LOL.....im surprised that didnt come up sooner...lol...And u might as well add Steven Segal and most of the action movies from the 80's are cheesy as shit...

Only exception tho for both actors i think would be:
Under Siege (Segal) pretty cool flick for its time...Tommy Lee Jones was awesome in this
Bloodsport (VanDame, still a decent flick for its time as well)

Anyone remember the all of those Corey Haim and Corey Feldman movies in their teens and early 20's......At the time i thought they were cool as hell but....cheese for the most part...

Exceptions (that ive seen recently)
Lost Boys
License to Drive
(this one even has a young Heather Grahme)

And what about those early ghetto ganster movies like Boys n the Hood, and Menace to Soceity

I remember Menace 2 Soceity having such an impact on me as a kid, like 12 or something.....I bought the DVD a few years ago and all i did was laugh my ass off....it was cheesy as hell

Fav line (Please excuse my paraphrasing)

Crackhead: Hey man lemme get some rocks maaan, i need some rocks...
Dealer: Nah man, later
Crackhead: Come on maan....I need it NOW!
Dealer:alright pay up!
Crackhead: aint got no money, ill give u these CHEESEBURGERS, man!!
Dealers: Nigga fuck you, Im out
Crackhead: come on man....fuck....ILL SUCK YO DICK MAN!!
Dealer: What tha fuck??!? Fuck you nigga!!
*BLAM*

hahah