Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film & Television forum feedback - ** PLEASE CONTRIBUTE **

Just to add to what has already been posted, looking down the first page of the forum, it appears that the typical film poll gets an average of 10-15 votes. The current system ensures that, at worst (meaning that the vote is a perfect spread), each rating will have a minimum of 2-3 votes. Thankfully, there is usually some sort of preference center around ratings points, creating tops and bottoms.

LOVELIFE, I had initially pushed very hard to have a seven-tier half star rating system in this forum. Under ideal conditions, more ratings would give a more accurate read on people's preferences. Eventually I realized that we had to correlate the number of ratings categories according to the number of people we had voting. If there were twice as many people voting, I have no doubt that half stars would be better. If there were three times as many people voting, an 11-point system would be even better. Statistically, having (1) a larger sample coupled with (2) more categories always leads to more accurate results. However, if one of these elements is missing, then the result can be a meaningless analysis. An 11-point rating system for 10-15 people would guarantee a little more than a vote per category.

I hope someday that there are 40-50 people voting for each poll, and that we can revisit the ratings policy. Until that time, we are open to whatever suggestion, keeping in mind that there are consistency and appearance issues that also come into play with these types of decisions. Thanks for the input.

Banquo is right. A traditional four-star rating system with half-star variations works only when there are many more overall votes than we see on this forum.

Banquo said:
Just to add to what has already been posted, looking down the first page of the forum, it appears that the typical film poll gets an average of 10-15 votes. The current system ensures that, at worst (meaning that the vote is a perfect spread), each rating will have a minimum of 2-3 votes. Thankfully, there is usually some sort of preference center around ratings points, creating tops and bottoms.

LOVELIFE, I had initially pushed very hard to have a seven-tier half star rating system in this forum. Under ideal conditions, more ratings would give a more accurate read on people's preferences. Eventually I realized that we had to correlate the number of ratings categories according to the number of people we had voting. If there were twice as many people voting, I have no doubt that half stars would be better. If there were three times as many people voting, an 11-point system would be even better. Statistically, having (1) a larger sample coupled with (2) more categories always leads to more accurate results. However, if one of these elements is missing, then the result can be a meaningless analysis. An 11-point rating system for 10-15 people would guarantee a little more than a vote per category.

I hope someday that there are 40-50 people voting for each poll, and that we can revisit the ratings policy. Until that time, we are open to whatever suggestion, keeping in mind that there are consistency and appearance issues that also come into play with these types of decisions. Thanks for the input.

As a lover of statistics, you point makes perfect sense.

Thank you for taking the time to respond with your well-reasoned post.

I shall try to encourage more people to vote, but either way, thanks for being so quick to respond to the desires of the forum's users.

Peace,

LL

Cool by me. Very cool actually. The last 12 months in F&TV has seen a lot of contribution. I remember when this place was a virtual ghost town.

L O V E L I F E said:
3.75 stars - Worthy of Winning The Academy Award For Best Picture forum
alasdairm said:
what would you deduct the 0.25 points for?
Academy Award not good enough, eh? =D

The deduction isn't for anything really... I'm just an old misery-guts when it comes to giving full-marks for anything. Heheh... :D

Like L2R, I'm happy to see the forum traffic pick up again. Like he said, there was a period of time when the forum seemed deserted, but I'm glad to say that it looks like it's picked up pace again. Around the time when F&T was somewhat quiet, I can remember a brief period (I think it was about 9 months ago, maybe more) when F&T seemed ever-so-slightly mod-led. And by that, I mean that a significant number of the threads were being started by a mod - presumably in an effort to attract a variety of quality posters and keep discussions fresh.

Although this is largely an anecdotal observation (and I'm totally open to correction), it seems that the number of mod-made threads has reduced in recent times. Whether it's by fortune or design, I feel that the brief mod-led period perhaps gave the forum a shot in the arm (in content and poster recruitment) and has given the forum its poster-led impetus back. Either way, it's really, really nice to see.

Of course, given that my memory is rubbish, I could be just talking a load of old bollocks.

Regarding the "one film, one thread" issue, I really can't see why people got so wound up about it. On the whole, it prevents duplication and (considering that everyone is aware of the rule) it generally acts as a preventative measure rather than a time-consuming act of overbearing moderation. However, at times, I think the rule may perhaps discourage people from talking informally about a particular film outside of its "designated" thread. For me, this is an unfortunate side-effect. Although... that criticism is somewhat mitigated by the fact that informal chats about TV programmes and films often automatically take place in regional social forums.

Either way, I give the forum the thumbs up!

no, ^that^ is a good account of what did occur. keen observation.
i am also glad to see it drew more people back to the forum and now there are a good number of people that consistently keep up with quality contributions

Just curious why some polls have 5 stars to choose from and some only have 4. Was this some kind of diss on Land of the Dead ? Wouldn't give it a 5 star option ? Hehe, just kidding. 5 stars > 4 stars.

psychetool said:
Just curious why some polls have 5 stars to choose from and some only have 4. Was this some kind of diss on Land of the Dead ? Wouldn't give it a 5 star option ? Hehe, just kidding. 5 stars > 4 stars.

exactly! some are just not worthy!

we recently (beginning of the year or so) changed at forum readers' requests to the five star system - but we were not able to/did not want to change over the older polls from their original four star rating systems.

now it's in place, i find myself using it pretty much exclusively when i'm looking for a specific movie thread.

thanks for taking the time to say - i had pretty much assumed it hadn't been noticed by most participants :)

alasdair

i don't know. i'll bump the associated thread in support and prod the admins.

alasdair