• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

fentanyl (GENERICS)

^^ wrong thread. maybe start a new one and clarify what you're asking...Do you mean the duiretic effect or the effects of tramadol?

I didn't know tramadol was a diuretic...I thought I read it was in rats but not humans.

i was not messed up... it was my first time using fentanyl though . Im on my second patch now very good pain relief. The Xyrem is for sleep only. I dont abuse any of these drugs.

the mylan stayed on very well in the shower btw.

s0nic said:
^ In that case I'd be better off ingesting a small piece of the patch.

i dont know. honestly. I would assume though that ingesting just a little bit of alcohol with the fent is better and healthier than ingesting a piece of plastic.

questions/advice

I tried to post once, but it didn't seem to go through, so I am trying again.

I am new to the board and new to the patch. But I've been reading around here for some time and like the info you all have to give. I am pretty opiate tolerant I might add. I have mostly taken hydros in the past, too many. I just got the Mylan patch (a whole different drug for me). I am very interested in knowing more about it. I have the 50s but could have gotten the 100s, but got two fifties instead of 1-100 for my dosage just in case I want to stay low some days (although I was told you "can" cut it).

The first night I took the patch I wasn't as impressed with wearing the patch as I wished I would have (I would have thought I would have been really feeling it more, but I have had some good moments) while many people here are like: this is so strong. My tolerance must be way up there as of late or either it's a different feeling all together. Oh how long does it take for this to kick in before you feel it and how long will the effects this last with the 72 hours patch?

Thanks for your opinions/advice btw! Much appreciated! Sorry I am rambling but I wanted to give some background about my tolerance, dosage, etc.

Last edited:
i have only ate a "duragesic" patch, it is a nice high but i wouldnt eat the whole thing, it hits you really fast and hard, i found towards the end i was sick to my stomach

Do you think two 50 patches are two much to wear for the first time?

Last edited:
YES. you obviously have not read enough about fentanyl, do some more searches yourself....

its a dangerous drug, nobody on here is going to give you advice that could potentially kill you...

Ktx59, your words ARE so true, and I do need to remember that! I certainly won't condemn you for being honest! I know you have my best interest in mind (or anyone's) when you say that! I know my curiosity has gotten the best of me!!

Last edited:
i do not condemn drug use, but i really suggest you fully understand what you are doing, beforehand...especially with potent opiates like fentanyl. im not trying to scare you or anything, but it isnt like an oxycontin or something where you can eye out doses and they are measured by the mg. this stuff is measured by micrograms!!

MANY people have safely enjoyed fentanyl patches recreationally, and there are plenty of posts on here about it. i have no experience with generic patches myself though, so i can't really say anything about those, as it could be completely different delivery system, concentrations, etc.

if you don't feel safe gambling with that kinda stuff, just wear the patch as directed...
but, before doing that, do some more searching and reading, you can NEVER be too safe.

^^ You (Liza) said that you didn't get too much out of your experience wearing the 50 ug/hr patch because of your opiate tolerance. It's probably because of the pharmacokinetics of fentanyl itself. The patch would release 50 ug/hr into your system, but fentanyl has a very short half life (compared to other opiates)...so, in essence your body would have metabolized most (if not all) of the previous hour's fentanyl, as you are aborbing the next hour's (dose).
Maybe, next time try wearing 3/4 or a whole patch, as I've found that wearing these are the best way to administer them. Just remember how the patch works: after applied, it takes 12-17 hrs. to build up enough of a fentanyl "depot" in your skin, which is then continously absorbed by the capillaries transdermally. Then you will be feeling the full effects from it and it will continue for another 55-60 hrs. This is why most folks that wear the patch are thinking, "...that didn't last quite 72 hrs., I only felt it for 2-2.5 days instead of 3." They're forgetting that initial 15 (approx.) hrs. it took to build up the depot in your skin.
Anyway, if you didn't think that 50ug/hr was enough, next time try 1.5-2 patches (or a 100ug/hr--worn, as it's much safer than trying to mess with it any other way)...

...unless you just didn't like the fentanyl high, some people just don't, as it provides more of a "cold & sterile" type high, compared to other opiates/oids, which can provide a more "warm & organic" (for lack of better terms) euphoria...that's how it feels to me anyway.
They do work well (with the proper dosage) for pain, though, as I aquired some after a fall that fractured (compression-type) several of my thoracic vertebrae, FWIW...:\

Last edited:
i have zero tolerance to opiates-considering i only get to do 'em maybe only twice a year. (besides the times when i was living in FL with my friend/dope dealer, snorting dope every day for about 3 months. but that was 5 years ago.) i love them but i have zero access, living in a town where nobody i know does shit for drugs besides pot and coke.

anyway like a year ago i came across a 75ug patch, and wore it. put it on at 11pm, and didnt feel anything until i woke up the next morning. about 1 minute after i woke up, i puked. not bad, just a quick ralph- then i was fine.
the effects seemed to come and go, in waves. id be feeling just a medium buzz for a while, then i'd be nodding for a couple hours. this lasted for a couple days.

although, my roomate, who is about the same weight and height as me, could not stop puking- he must have puked every 5 minutes forhours and hours. he took the patch off.

btw- im 165 lbs, 5 ft 10.

if ur in doubt dont.. wear em like a good opiate user.. but ive chewed a 75 ug after the 35-60 hrs it worked and ended up getting successfully high again.. and whats wrong with hydros.. extract ^_^

Thanks to all of you for the WONDERFUL advice! I am amazed that some of you seem like chemists to me! Ha!

Deconstruction, that's a good question about the hydros. But being that I am an opiate person, I've overdone my stay and have been having a very hard time on them. Mostly or one of the main things, what I don't like about hydros is the fact that I feel so bad when I take them because of the w/d after they are out of my system for several hours (8 to 10 hours+)! But having to take them long term as I have, or even taking them for pleasure, I hate dragging like a wet rag from hydors ALL of the time with the short term hydro (and I KNOW I can be dragging in a worse way with the fentanyl...way worse...but overall I hope to use it differently as you can read below...and if this seems to cause me more problems because I only go up on my dose consistently, I will definitely get off the train since I will have just started it before it gets way too deep)! I feel like crap basically on the hydro, being that it lasts little time for me and psychological pill popping is a problem for me too among other reasons! So not only do I have tolerance, but,opiate dependence! I do hate that, too! But that's one of the reasons I switched, along with other reasons...but I some of this hope that makes sense.

Boy, that's the first time I've heard that expression "a ralph." Where have I been?

Sound, you have some great information that you conveyed to me! Thanks a bunch (just want I am looking for...knowing more about it)! And what you said made total sense because now I realize why I didn't feel as much as I should in the beginning (although I am aware of building a tolerance, too, where I don't feel them)! And at first, this fentanyl WAS so different with the way I felt. It does take getting used to, at least for me, but they do work well for me with pain. My plan is I hope that I can cut the patch into smaller and smaller pieces when I do want to lower my dose gradually (since this patch is different from the others), and I mean gradually because I realize it's very strong in comparison to almost anything I could have in my system. I know that I am dealing with a different medicine, but I hope the gradual lowering of my dose CAN work this way (at least with the Mylan patch, I hope), but obviously I don't know much about this drug itself and am learning. The reason I am saying this is because from my experience I did have some time-released pills a LONG time ago (and I know they are in a totally different ball park from these patches though) but for me, I can honestly say that it was so much easier lowering my dose and getting off them when I needed to. Doing this never happened overnight (and I hope I am not fooling myself about "what I think/hope" I can do with this particular patch), but with the time-released pills, it certainly didn't hurt nearly as badly as trying to lower hydros...not at all, nowhere near. But I was very careful and went very slow. I do hope the same holds true for the patch, as I plan cut this brand into smaller pieces when I dose so that it isn't as painful. I realize it's a LOT stronger than hydros, but so were these time-released pills that I had a few years ago. That might seem crazy, but it wasn't as hard because I could go without feeling awful and could lower my dose as I needed. So I am going by the time factor and what happened to me before when I say this. Other than that, though, I've pretty much had only hydro most of the time. This "seems" to make sense to me, to keep cutting the patch smaller and smaller (and not feeling like hell) until I get the dose down practically to nothing. But I may be wrong...but it's not like I would ever stop cold turkey on these anyway...never! Does that make sense (despite the fact that the drug is strong)?

Ktx49, I need to be scared to a (big) certain degree, and honestly I appreciate your warnings!! I can tell that you ONLY have good intentions! In fact, I didn't tell you this in my post to you before, but I did go online to research the fentanyl the first night...to find info about the strength, how it works, etc. But when I did the search, I could say that probably the first 30 returns had pages about death and attorneys that revolved around the fentanyl! My heart sunk! I had put on two patches that night and after I saw that I freaked and took off one of them and flushed it down the toilet! So I pretty much wasted a whole 50 mg patch (or however we want to look at it) but it's better than messing up! At this board is where I found a lot of the information that I did want to read, too, (so that I didn't go overboard), and people do have personal experience here with this drug, so that helps a lot. Other people's advice and what they have done give me at least some boundaries and precautions I need to know, too! To me, the 72 hours can be a good thing If I am very careful, but it can scare me at the same time!! BUT you gave me some of the best advice I could have when it comes to being careful...like you said, those patches are very strong and they sneak up on you, so I NEED to be aware of that! (So now I want to understand more about the mcg. and how they are released in your body every hour you wear one.) I know all about hydros, but this drug IS so different and I know little about it! That's why I came here to make sure that when I use the patch at least don't overdo it to where my life is at stake. Actually, the effects of wearing the patch are more evident now than they were in the beginning, but I do want to make sure that I don't allow myself to stay on too strong of a dose. I read some posts about the Mylan patch and it seems to be so different that the brand name. From my point of view only, it seems like it may be safer in a way, and I hope that is the case...as long as I do what you say and know what I am getting into! I am glad that I do NOT have the brand name. For some reason, the gel spooks me. It seems more unpredictable...but again, I am going by what I have read so far. I hope they are a little bit easier to control (by being able literally to cut the patch down gradually and also by having some pain relieving qualities that last longer to help me with this). I definitely need to use as much moderation as I can (very important), and like I said above I hope that I can wean myself down after taking it for several days by cutting the patch (being that it is not a gel) and do it very slowly. It seems this will be a possibility...but as you know, I am learning about this and have nowhere near the knowledge about it as you do or others do here! Again, THANKS for the advice/warning! I appreciate it very much!

Have a great night!

Last edited:
cool...its good to see your not a reckless person, and like to know what your getting into.
so i take it your on pain meds for a legit problem?? thats no fun, and is exactly how my opiate addiction/dependance started and is still a part of my life. i wish i could just quit opiates cold turkey for the rest of my life, but unfortunately, im in pain alot and need something to keep me from being a complete grumpy asshole all the time, which happens all too easily when im in pain constantly.

the thing is, people judge me all too easily for popping all these pills....they don't stop to realize that i do need them to a certain extent. do i need a handful? probally not, but that is part of using opiate pain killers...tolerance! sorry for the off topic rant, its just i've been catching alot of shit lately for all my pill use, and i really really wish i could just get a doctor to prescribe me some OCs(yea right)...sure im young, but if they were smart, they'd take me off these short acting opiates and put me on something that could keep my pain under control and my body in tact.

Kt,
I am sorry that you are in so much pain! I know it does suck very much! Then you add w/d to it and you have double the pain, or actually is it quadruple the pain or is it more? :) It hurts so bad, and think that is what can really get us down on top of everything! I just hate it, and I feel just like you...certainly I wish I could get off all opiates, but it's very hard. In addition, when there's pain it does make life worse; and I feel just miserable in itself from the opiates when they lose their effect. I guess you could say that I need them to a certain extent, too, and I do have pain that is legit, but tolerance does become a big factor when I've taken them for a while myself! Gee, I even tried Celebrex, no help anyway, but ending up having this procedure called ERCP because it messed up my stomach so badly since I don't have a gallbladder anymore! So...what to do? It is a nutty cycle!I don't want to go nuts on them (especially fentanyl) to where I do something that really risks my life...I don't want to overdo things in that sense nor do I want a higher tolerance to this new medicine than I have to acquire.

As far as I am concerned, I don't feel that you have to be a certain age to be in pain and for the doctors to qualify you to take certain medicines just because of that. I have felt that way in the past myself. I guess the medical profession thinks it is "looking after" you, when you are still not feeling like you should. I hate that this is something you are having to go through. With my "idea" of long lasting opiates, I may be wrong, but like I said in my last post, from my personal experience, over time the shorter acting ones do seem to be very hard dealing with when you take them long term. But this is the first time I've been prescribed a long lasting one, so I hope that I am not thinking completely crazy with this idea. I just know how I DID feel when I took the longer lasting ones for a while vs. the hydros. It really was harder for me with hydros. I hope that the long lasting ones can be more easily adjusted with dose even though they are so much stronger. If your pain stays out of control, do you think you can seek help elsewhere? I don't know that you are having luck with that though because you are frustrated! I am so sorry for that and I hope you get what you need!

You know, also, with others judging you. I would just stop telling those people who did that so much about this when they are giving you a hard time, and I would rely on your doctor more for his advice or maybe one person who does care about you, and, in addition, whom you can trust. People can be so judgmental when it comes to this, and I've been there too! I just quit telling them. They can't judge your pain, and as long as you are being smart, it's not fair to judge you!

Hang it there and don't give up on getting what you need...I think it's very easy to turn into an asshole when you hurt from all this! I know I do the same!

Last edited:
liza-
thanks for the response! made me feel a little better! i completely agree about most of the things you said, especially the part about the age...its like all doctors are so scared to prescribe me anything decent! im an adult, but im still "young", and it often feels like doctors think im a bad candidate for stronger/longer acting pain meds! i am straining relationships in my life right now, because of constant, severe pain. well not the pain itself, but rather how i act and treat others when i dont have pain killers! i turn into a whiney asshole when im in pain, and it sure doesnt help now that i have WDs :( i'm sure that there are people who hurt worse than i do, but if i cannot function day to day because of my pain, then i feel its a problem.

you are also right on with your theory about long acting/lasting opiates...they are MUCH better choices for chronic pain. i read an article somewhere on the net that basically gave all the reasons why doctors should avoid prescribing short acting pain meds first. of course in the real world, its the EXACT opposite! doctors wont hesitate to give you percocets or lortabs when you first complain of chronic pain. people get all too familiar with the pleasant feelings these short acting opiates produce, and tolerance also builds much quicker. that article pointed out the fact that with long lasting opiate meds, the chance for abuse initially is much less...especially compared with short acting pain meds. its alot easier to say, oh im still in pain, and pop another lortab/percocet/etc. and then you face the inevitable, TOLERANCE. just one more reason im in favor of better pain meds...i really wish i could find that article for you, i think it would be of great interest.

im not too sure what i am going to do about this....
ive been thinking of confronting my doctor and just being honest with him...not sure though...do you have any other ideas??

thanks i appreciate your help!

-ktx49

KT,
That article does sound great! IF you find it, I would really like to read it! For me, you know, I was going on what I felt before (and maybe hoped, and hoped made sense), but I have never dealt with the 72 hours medicine until now, and was only comparing my former experience with the 12 hour+...a big difference for me. But I am glad you think that some of my ideas may be right! Other than the strength of the drug, I DO hope I am right about the medicine being easier to adjust and lower when the time comes; I can only hope it's a similar experience with me being aware and more careful. It is a comforting thing to know that tolerance builds more quickly with the shorter acting opiates vs the longer ones because hydros can be downright uncomfortable (and I hope this medicine is not a long route down hell road). I do hate that you HAVE to take them now when the longer acting could be so much better for you. Honestly, I will take it as I come, and try to get some advice here and there, and hopefully see what happens (with, I am wishing, good results).

When we take the hydro long term though, we also get into that psychological routine of pill-popping so even though that may not seem like a problem, it does become one. I know it does that for me and most others. I guess it's like smoking in so many ways, but we have the opiate instead of the nicotine... Well, so far on this patch, I do not feel w/d (that shitty feeling you get especially in the A.M. when you wake up that I despise!), and I feel so much better than I did on the hydro. It's a different feeling in so many ways, but I don't miss those w/d at all. I hope they don't pop in with the fentanyl after taking it a few weeks though but I guess I'll see what happens...just trying to somewhat careful. That's the main reason I am trying to keep my dose low and probably should drop down some more. I would think that with me being opiate tolerant and dependent that it won't take me long to "need" this particular drug either. It will be a whole different ball park for me, learning what the pros and cons are of this.

Hope to hear from you soon! You will have luck eventually, I believe...just hang in there and give it some time and be brave enough to stick up for yourself!

Last edited:
Pretty much.. Oh well, I guess this is what I get for sidetracking other people's threads. :)

way ot, but a guy has a recipe up on an archive that used to be full of busy bee's at least ion paper the extraction/conversion looks fairly simple. Almost too easy for what you get which is an extremly large yeild considering the strength of this med. My only expierence w/ fentanyl was half half of a duragesic patch and it worked fine. If you are having trouble getting what you think is proper from your doctor for a legit med cond. then change doctors. There are clinics that specialize in pain treament. BTW, I have a doctor friend who will not work in America because he insists both the FDA and just doctors in general are "opiodphobic". He works almost exclusively w/ terminal patients and is known for his no bullshit face reality type attitude w/ them.