Father Disturbed by 7-Year-Old Daughter's Medical Marijuana Use

She is 7 yrs old said:
Exactly. Priorities seem a bit out of whack here. Just as with any other medicine I am sure that if not already, her tolerance will acclimate her to being less "stoned" (in her fathers words).

I don't think she should be treated with pot there are somethings you just need to work past I agree with the father it isn't good for the child to use cannabis it will definitively get her addicted.

opi8;11089252 said:
^ I fully agree with that 100% but I didn't want to actually say it. Cannabis is mind altering, opiods such as opium, morphine or heroin are not.

I disagree, all psychoactive reward center affecting drugs have an effect on inhibitions and cognition whether or not it is strong or weak.

I am basing my issues on cannibis solely from personal experience, not science, so I am happy to let my comments regarding that issue to be dismissed. However, it is known to aggravate certain psychological conditions, as I think some cannabinoids may be classed as hallucinogens? Is that correct? I have never heard of a study that has linked any opiod with any kind of psychological issue, except, or course, addiction. That cannot be said for cannabis.

chugs;11089090 said:
I'm gonna have to cal you on the "more harmful medications like opiates".

Opiates change very little in your brain chemistry and have very little adverse affects on the kidneys or liver.

I'm not suggesting cannabis does but you can't call opiates harmful anymore than you can call cannabis. If anything opiates are better.

As an individual who consumed a large quantity of opiates, legally due to a medical condition, as a child I believe their effect on my developing mind is far lesser than the cannabis I smoked illegally obtained from the blackmarket. Now I want all drugs legalised and distributed by the state (fuck private industry doing it) however I think there is a time and a place for cannabis and unless for medical reasons it should be only when your mind is a little more developed.

Don't get me wrong I have nothing against opiates I have been on them daily for 5 years for chronic pain issues and they have changed my life for the better but they have caused more side effects than weed has with me personaly. I know weed is far from harmless but do believe it is a better choice than opiates for somebody going through chemo even if they are a child.

She has bigger problems than potential mild brain damage. For fuck's sake, the child is suffering from leukemia.

Te0X2t;11100509 said:
I don't think she should be treated with pot there are somethings you just need to work past I agree with the father it isn't good for the child to use cannabis it will definitively get her addicted.

Good idea. 8) Just have her "work past" her leukemia without cannabis, since it will "definitely get her addicted" :|

Do you know anything about leukemia, or drugs, or medicines, or are you just trolling?
If you are not trolling, I suggest you do some research into cannabis, and leukemia as well, before formulating such opinions.

As for "working past" her leukemia:
In 2000, approximately 256,000 children and adults around the world developed a form of leukemia, and 209,000 died from it.
source
Not something that is easy to just work past, is it?

If you were facing imminent death, would you be worried about becoming addicted to cannabis?
If you were facing incredible suffering, would you refuse to take medication to treat your many problems because you were worried about becoming addicted?
How about if it were not you, but your child?

Did you know that there are few "definites" about addiction, but cannabis addiction is far less dangerous and problematic than addiction to most of the other drugs that the doctors would use to treat her?
Did you know that cannabis is a MEDICINE? And it actually is proved to treat many symptoms that the child probably has? And, even better, it is a pretty safe bet that it actually fights cancer?

Think about all these things, and then come back and see if you can substantiate your opinion with a solid argument as to why the poor child should suffer.

In 2000, approximately 256,000 children and adults around the world developed a form of leukemia, and 209,000 died from it.

Shit... if that's the case, give the kid some opium too! Hell, some MDMA would really help her outlook on life. Why the fuck does brain damage matter with those odds? If she does survive, you think her "addiction" to cannabis (lmao) is going to be that big of a worry for her?

No, she's going to be fucking praising it as a wonder plant that saved her life.

My problem with this is that the mother seems to have started drugging her child with a controlled medication without initially consulting a doctor. The father has a right to be concerned at that fact alone, though this case undoubtedly has media hype.

Also, they were like 18 when they had the kid...

You guys are really all o.k. with this?

Thats a lot of weed for a 7 year old....I feel like any weed is too much for a 7 year old.

Weed really can change your brain if you start smoking too early. If your brain develops in a THC (and other cannabinoid) rich environment it can really mess with your development, and possibly make youyou that much more prone to addiction (yes marijuana addiction is real).

I will attest to this myself. I started smoking pretty young and its much harder for me to stop than someone who didn't smoke till they were much older. Furthermore, the effects are somewhat different for me with or without a tolerance break. I've also seen evidence that attests to this stance from a social worker and addiction doctor.

So based on this evidence I personally cannot condone marijuana use in a 7 year old. I dunno if opiates are better, but I probably wouldn't let my kid take a gram of this stuff a day...maybe I'll change my mind if harm of other drugs are shown to be just as detrimental on a young mind. Until then though I wouldn't give it to my kid.

Nothing personal: I love smoking weed.

Also whats with everyone assuming this dads a dick? Cant the father just be legitimately concerned for his kid? I know QUITE A FEW fathers who would act similarly. None of them would do it out of spite...doesn't the dad have the right to have a decision about how his child grows up? Not even addressing that its him paying for it (which he should if its necessary acceptable medicine). Just on the virtue of him being the father, and thus having a right to decide whether or not his kid takes marijuana.

I mean, would you guys be saying that the dads a dick if the mother wanted to go all natural, and he was pushing for chemo? Or any other treatment? Would you guys feel the same about this father if this was about any other treatment?

Being an all day everyday burnout of a stoner is much different from using cannabis as a medicine.

DooMMooD;11108955 said:
I feel like any weed is too much for a 7 year old without cancer.

I couldn't agree more..

Would you guys feel the same about this father if this was about any other treatment?

I absolutely would.
edit: I didn't read carefully enough, so what I wrote doesn't make too much sense. Allow me to "quote" what I was responding to, and respond to that:

Would you guys feel the same about this issue if this was about any other treatment?

Give the kid her medicine. I personally don't grasp how you can worry about changes to the child's brain, and the potential to become an addict, when there is something like an 80% chance that the cancer will kill her.
Isn't it preferable to allow her to be as comfortable as possible through her treatments?
And doesn't the fact that cannabis fights cancer mean anything to you?
And, do you have any idea of the side effects of the other treatments that they use for cancer and the drugs they use to treat those side effects? Some of them make cannabis look like candy.

Different article -

Father gives 6-year-old medical marijuana

Modesto, CA (CNN) — A family in Modesto, CA is experimenting with a form of medical marijuana to treat a family member’s illness. While that may not seem out of the ordinary in this day and age,

there is one factor that sets this instance apart from others. The family gives the drug to their six-year-old son.

Jayden David suffers from a form of catastrophic epilepsy, called Dravet Syndrome, that can be fatal for children. After pharmaceutical drugs failed to prevent Jayden’s seizures, the family began to seek alternatives.

“He couldn’t chew, he couldn’t walk he couldn’t take a bath,” said Jason David, Jayden’s father. “He’s in pain and suffering and crying. You have to do whatever it takes to save their life.”

After a year of taking a liquid form of medical marijuana made mostly of Cannabidiol, a major constituent of the cannabis plant, Jayden is beginning to live the life of a normal child. He is able to play, run,

climb and eat solid food. Before he started taking legal medical marijuana, he had to swallow twenty-two pills a day to treat his epilepsy. Now he’s down to just a pill and a half.

Jayden isn’t the only one. There are no national statistics on how many sick children are using medical marijuana. However, states where the drug as legal report dozens of registered users under the age of 18, some as young as two.

The liquid medical marijuana is distilled at Harborside Health Center in Oakland, CA. There technicians sort, analyze and distill the plant. The workers believe the drug will help children with severe autism, epilepsy and ADHD.

“We have seen more than one child, like Jayden, who came to us with very serious, life-threatening illnesses, who as soon as they started using cannabis medicine,

saw a dramatic turnaround,” says Stephen DeAngelo, Executive Director at Harborside Health Center.

The medical community says without better research, which requires federal support, most doctors oppose medical marijuana for children.

“All medications may have side effects, may have long-term consequences,” said Dr. Seth Ammerman, a pediatrician. “Unfortunately, with cannabinoids, we know very little about that. A parent is really flying by the seat of his or her pants by doing this.”

http://myfox8.com/2012/12/06/father-gives-6-year-old-medical-marijuana/

The idiot dad would rather his child, whom he presumably loves, suffer needlessly, because he has a problem with pot.
Man, that's a loving parent for you.
If it was my kid I'd be out scoring it for her.
What a dick.