Father Disturbed by 7-Year-Old Daughter's Medical Marijuana Use

As a matter of fact, I have children around that age and personally yes - I would prefer they used opiods over cannibis for pain if they didn't tolerate other known medicine well - I would certainly be happy to try everything.

The fact is that I can't use pot recreationally because of the horrendous side effects I get, extreme paranoia being one of the primary side effects. I would feel more comfortable giving my children with cancer and in pain opiods for pain regardless of your stated reasons. In my opinion, the points you raised are minor compared with cancer and are also easily argued as the same could be said for pot, except for OD'ing.

OD - yes, if you don't measure your dose. I doubt that in a medical environment, they will be giving her a needle, spoon and a gram of china white to weigh up herself and inject.
Suppress Appetite - I can only eat when I've had my fix, but I do see what you're saying. This isn't a side effect for everyone, like extreme paranoia and other mental issues are not a side effect of pot in everyone.
Nausea - Also, as above this is another side effect which is different for everyone and even if it is an issue, can be easily ameliorated with an anti-nausea medication.
Not fighting cancer - What research is this based upon? How do you know? Positive attitude/thinking, feeling better from medicine and the placebo effect may even mean that it could fight cancer.

Regardless of that - the main point I was trying to make is not why pot is better than opium or vice versa, it was that generally speaking, people seem to think that because marijuana is a plant, it's great. But the opium poppy, also a plant, is bad for people because they don't like, or more correctly, they don't understand it and are scared about that particular class of drug. I think it's very hypocritical.

I had a friend send legal medical lollipops to a 78 year old woman going through rough Chemo. After 2 rounds with nothing, my gift arrived. She emailed to say after 3rd round - she slept through the night - no pain. My cousin gave it to his son who has a very rare disease, when getting stem cell treatments. Unlike most kids with this disease - he's still alive!!!!! If it works to help people with dire medical issues - why condemn it!?

"Mikayla says she finds relief in the drug, which she says combats the effects of chemotherapy."

"Without the cannabis I feel more tired and with the cannabis I have more energy, to play and stuff," Mikayla said.

"It makes me feel funny, happy."

So if it giving her all positives .. then what is the issue .. it is a way of getting through Chemo. I personally don't see a problem with it.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/11/26/13/44/mum-treats-daughter-7-with-marijuana

Gosh, thats the best mother on the planet.
Will try _anything_ for her pretty daughter to get better, usually the anythings of most parents wouldn't consider such option, actually, usually it would be a taboo.
Don't worry about addiction, it is just cannabis, none of their receptors is linked with physical dependence.
Kudos for Mykayla for being brave and being able to step on a brand new continent of healing.
Kudos for all who made that possible.

The dad is obviously a bitter dick just trying to get custody but the mom sounds like a ditzy hippie. Shoveling 10+ joints worth of pot into your 7 year old kid with no doctor supervision doesn't sound that great. I'm not knocking using medical marijuana in children but this doesn't sound right.

^ They don't give them joints. They give them extremely concentrated cannabinoid edibles, and they do it under a strict regiment that all other cancer patients follow.

You don't make a 7 year old kid with leukemia smoke a joint.

Also, it sounds like the child is pretty happy with this course of action. I doubt she wants to be in pain and suffering all day Does her opinion, you know.. the little girl with the cancer, matter at all to you?

Folley;11087382 said:
^ They don't give them joints. They give them extremely concentrated cannabinoid edibles, and they do it under a strict regiment that all other cancer patients follow.

You don't make a 7 year old kid with leukemia smoke a joint.

In one of the articles I read the amount being given was equal to 10 joints per oil. Not sure how true that is.

Also, it sounds like the child is pretty happy with this course of action. I doubt she wants to be in pain and suffering all day Does her opinion, you know.. the little girl with the cancer, matter at all to you?

At least from the way the article is worded Mom isn't doing this under doctors supervision. She's just feeding her child an unknown concentrated amount of pot oil and keeping her high 24/7 because she thinks it will help. It could just be the way the article is worded and all the facts aren't in there but it doesn't sound right if that is what is happening.

Honestly she is probably getting way more than 10 joints worth a day. So what?

The treatment for chemo patients is to have them eat one gram of highly concentrated medical oil everyday. This has been PROVEN to shrink tumors, in many cases. She is taking it out side of a doctors supervision just like a pain patient takes his pills outside of a doctors supervision. She had it prescribed to her by a licensed doctor that believes this is the best option for her, and both she and her mother are very happy with the way it is turning out.

So why does this matter? Because she is 7? There should never be an age limit on being comfortable, especially when you may only have a few years left to live.

B
well, as her parent, don't let her use it.
/oh wait, apparently you're not part of the decision making process. tough titties then.

Is tumor shrinkage relevant to leukemia? The cancerous cells are not contiguous, but flow individually through the bloodstream. I think.

Folley;11086201 said:
OH WHAT THE FUCK.

I hate the news. They show an ad for this story that basically says "Medical Marijuana for your kids!!" then cuts to a shot of the young girl saying "It makes you feel kind of pukey.." when she is talking about fucking chemo, and not the drug. Of course, they have to edit that together in the worse way possible to make it seem like weed is the problem.

"Once her daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia, the mother KNEW she would treat it with cannabis."

That's not what she fucking said at all you God damned word-twisting fascists. She said "Once she was diagnosed I knew I would do anything to save my child", cannabis just happens to be that anything.

Then the next story is about the two Seahawks found with adderall in their system

"Hear from our doctor why adderall is so addictive... in 15 minutes."

The media makes me sick.

Let me guess: Fox News?

A gram of oil seems a little on the excessive side for a seven year old. I'm not opposed to the treatment and I'm not fully aware of the girls condition but, I do know that I'd be feeling nice off of a gram of good bud a day let alone a gram of oil and I've been smoking for more than double her age.

^ I don't know that they're giving her a gram, it could be much less actually... that's the common treatment though.

Dr. Rabid;11088216 said:
Let me guess: Fox News?

Yeup. Q13 FOX lol, forced myself to watch it even though I knew it would just anger me :|

phenethylo J;11084131 said:
While marijuana will have worse side effects on a young mind than an older one the benifits far outweigh the risks for a small child with cancer and is allot better than more harmful medications like opiates. I saw a video of this 2 year old with a serious brain tumor that was prescribed edibles and he looked so full of life.

I'm gonna have to cal you on the "more harmful medications like opiates".

Opiates change very little in your brain chemistry and have very little adverse affects on the kidneys or liver.

I'm not suggesting cannabis does but you can't call opiates harmful anymore than you can call cannabis. If anything opiates are better.

As an individual who consumed a large quantity of opiates, legally due to a medical condition, as a child I believe their effect on my developing mind is far lesser than the cannabis I smoked illegally obtained from the blackmarket. Now I want all drugs legalised and distributed by the state (fuck private industry doing it) however I think there is a time and a place for cannabis and unless for medical reasons it should be only when your mind is a little more developed.

^ I fully agree with that 100% but I didn't want to actually say it. Cannabis is mind altering, opiods such as opium, morphine or heroin are not.

Depends how you use them..

Opiates can be physically addictive. You can also fatally overdose.

And opiates are mind alterating.. just not in the same way.

The dad should get over the fact that his daughter is consuming cannabis, it's giving her peace and strength during these difficult times, however should the child pull through this, her cannabis regiment should be discontinued once the need for is is gone; later in her life it's up to her wheter or not to consume cannibis, but for hte time being if it helps her and causes little to no harm, it is a far better option than other alternatives.

"She was stoned out of her mind," said Comstock, 26. "All she wanted to do was lay on the bed and play video games."

sounds like we have a future bluelighter in the making !

Folley;11088487 said:
^ I don't know that they're giving her a gram, it could be much less actually... that's the common treatment though.

"Mykayla Comstock was diagnosed with leukemia last spring. Her mother treats her with a gram of cannabis oil daily, The Oregonian reported (http://bit.ly/TcqSqW )."

That's actually what I was responding too. Didn't see that you had posted that and didn't know that a gram is the common dose either.