Enough. Reform the lounge already

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zephyr and Guy, I'm sure glad you both came in here, you said all of that much better than I could have!

The ones who support the oposite, is because it suits their needs to let all loose and have no rules ot follow.
that's a rather meaningless argument (because those who support the op's argument do it because it suits their needs). who's to say they're 'right' (for want of a better word)?

alasdair

I applaude you man, well said you spoke for the rest of us, who think something needs to be done in those areas! The ones who support the oposite, is because it suits their needs to let all loose and have no rules ot follow. But Bluelight is for a more imporant and serious reason, and these added things add to the bad name it has aquired, and if it does not get shut down for its sensitive issues "drugs", the lounge certainly may do it, if rules are not in place.
Sure we can avoid this and avoid that, but the lounge is suppose to be for everyone to relax and have a casul chat about things, without being shocked out of your wits, with some of the things which are not the right material for the forum.
Thank you FJones!

So, you're saying that the Lounge and all its memes and stupid banter will be the downfall of Bluelight....not all the drug talk. Because Bluelight's bad name has been acquired from the Lounge but of course not all that drug talk. So you're theory is that when cops browse the site they think "Oh, wow, all this drug talk is bad, but holy shit we need to shut this place down! Look at that Lounge and all those trolls and memes! We need to stop this!" Is that really what you think?

Don't you see it? It's an "Ivory Tower" thought process. The rest of the site is serious business. The Lounge is crude and bawdy. Therefore the more erudite members would think that other people would think like them and see that the Lounge is the worst part of Bluelight because we act like a bunch of idiots in there.

Unfortunately, outside of the Tower, real people unlike you and me would look at this site and go "OMGWTFBBQDRUGZAREHEREPPLDODRUGZZZHEREOMGTHEDRUGS!!!!!" and think the social forums as an interesting anomaly, failing to understand that community is what drives people.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

^ some would say that i'm a sometime inhabititant of this 'ivory tower' and i tend to disagree - generally speaking - with the op.

this thread demonstrates pretty clearly that there are members of staff along the entire spectrum of this discussion so characterising the discussion as an 'us-versus-them' issue is wrong, imho.

alasdair

Of course there's a spectrum...black and white thinking was always my specialty. I'm usually the only one who gets called out on it because I present both the black and white as opposed to placing myself on the spectrum.

I note that the original poster hasn't posted since March 27th.

Would it be correct to conclude that this is resolved?

I find The Lounge to be an utterly pointless part of Bluelight. I love this site because it portrays the intellect of many psychoactive users, and our desire to make well informed choices. The Lounge portrays and fuels the usual negative stereotypes of drug users, as lacking the desire to seek wisdom and instead vent stupidity.

Off with its head!

I seek seek to gain wisdom and aim to vent stupidity. Stuff wouldn't fit if I didn't make room.

Last edited:
I thought this recent article published in Wired Magazine was interesting. It proposes that the internet has become a digital Hive mind where the class clown's monopoly on humor has been smashed and humor has become laissez-faire. Wit and humor imply insight, and in a high-speed information economy insight is the most valuable currency. It labels the social portion of the internet as "The world's biggest, cruelest comedy club."

I think people that complain about the State of <insert fierce comedic atmospheres like the Lounge> simply lack the wit or intelligence to be competitive in such an environment.

Read As: You're old. Get with the times.

^ Been saying that for years.

I find The Lounge to be an utterly pointless part of Bluelight. I love this site because it portrays the intellect of many psychoactive users, and our desire to make well informed choices. The Lounge portrays and fuels the usual negative stereotypes of drug users, as lacking the desire to seek wisdom and instead vent stupidity.

Off with its head!

Then do yourself favor, and stay away from it.

i'm inclined to agree, somewhat, with gm on the subject of insight.

that said, i imagine few people would file the monotonous posting of "lolwut", image macros stolen from other sites and racial epithets under "wit and humor"

:)

alasdair

I do stay out of the lounge. This is support. You read my post and know how I feel. This thread would not have so many responses if there was not truth to what I said. As it seems, there are some lounge people who made a forum called Redlight, which is a fine portrayal of what a site is like composed the such.

that said, i imagine few people would file the monotonous posting of "lolwut", image macros stolen from other sites and racial epithets under "wit and humor"

alasdair

The lounge has been infected with internet mad cow, or 4chanism. Like mad cow, it puts holes in the brain until over time, the brain becomes sponge-like and useless.

alasdair

I think we both know that peoples' issues with the Lounge goes beyond a few members posting pictures and making racial comments. People complained about the Lounge before members like Clubbinguido posted there and they'll continue to now that he's gone. It's a simple matter of some people with outdated senses of humor refusing to recognize or accept what's considered funny nowadays.

What would you estimate the mean age of all Bluelight members to be? 20? 22? How many of the people running this site do you think accurately represent members in that range? Is there even anyone on Senior Staff under 30?

You guys seem to worry an awfully lot about turning off potential members to this site, yet display a fraction of that concern in keeping members you already have. The Lounge should be whatever its posters make it. The Lounge is there for them to Socialize while they're learning about Harm Reduction in other sections of the forum. It's there. For them. Micromanaging something that should be such a small part of your Administrative efforts and banning people because of what they do there, people who need the information available on this site, is irresponsible and a far cry from anything I would consider In the interest of Harm Reduction.

^Good point, however, It seems as if the lounge is suggesting "Hey, if you feel like playing the fool, why not hop on Bluelight and vent your frustrations".

And, as I'm sure you are well aware, these people's behaviors do not always stay in the lounge, yet hinder other's concentration on other sections of Bluelight.

Last edited:
Micromanaging something that should be such a small part of your Administrative efforts and banning people because of what they do there, people who need the information available on this site, is irresponsible and a far cry from anything I would consider In the interest of Harm Reduction.
so the 3 people that were banned recently are now somehow unable to read the rest of the site?

gimme a break.

And, as I'm sure you are well aware, these people's behaviors do not always stay in the lounge, yet hinder other's concentration on other sections of Bluelight.

Fool. ClubbinGuido's behavior and the behavior of most who were banned was strictly happening in The Lounge, nowhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.