• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Ear infection

elgoucho9

Bluelighter
Anyone have any quick ways to get rid of this?

I have a doctors appointment Monday morning anyway. But can't hear anything out my left ear since the day before yesterday. Quite annoying when people are talking to you.

Been drinking loads of hot water, lemon/lime and honey. Green tea too. And soup.

Anything else i can do to clear it before i see my doctor for antibiotocs?

a few drops of as-warm-as-you-can-stand-it olive oil into the ear canal, wait a few minutes then lighlty attending to with an earbud type thing can often do the trick

a few drops of as-warm-as-you-can-stand-it olive oil into the ear canal, wait a few minutes then lighlty attending to with an earbud type thing can often do the trick

Sounds almost dangerous lol. I might wait for sone anti biotics monday.

Sounds almost dangerous lol. I might wait for sone anti biotics monday.
Hmmm you're ok sticking meph and ket up your hooter but you're scared of a little bit of olive oil :);)
DANGER!! - potential olive oil hazard!

It could easily be wax and not an infection - antibiotics will do fuck all about wax and I don't "think" they syringe ears at the doctors anymore (fuck knows why not, but that's what I've heard)

Otex ear drops can be very effective, or look at various 'ear wax removal kits' online. Olive oil has always been an easy and cheap way for me though

But, as you're seeing the doc anyway on Monday, may as well wait until then and see what they have to say about it

Gotta say I really hate having an ear totally blocked, makes you feel sort of disconnected...removed...and two ears is almost intolerable. I'd really hate to be deaf, fuck that, I'd rather be blind (if it came to a choice, which is unlikely, still.........)

A lot of docs don't give you antibiotics for ear infections now. Quite often they clear up 24-48 hours.

Definite +1 for the olive oil. You don't have to make it hot. Just warm it some. Lie on your side with it in for half an hour or so then turn over and let it run out onto some kitchen towel.

Or you can buy little saline ear sprays in the chemist too but warm oil helps dissolve the wax.

Hmmm you're ok sticking meph and ket up your hooter but you're scared of a little bit of olive oil :);)
DANGER!! - potential olive oil hazard!

It could easily be wax and not an infection - antibiotics will do fuck all about wax and I don't "think" they syringe ears at the doctors anymore (fuck knows why not, but that's what I've heard)

Otex ear drops can be very effective, or look at various 'ear wax removal kits' online. Olive oil has always been an easy and cheap way for me though

But, as you're seeing the doc anyway on Monday, may as well wait until then and see what they have to say about it

Gotta say I really hate having an ear totally blocked, makes you feel sort of disconnected...removed...and two ears is almost intolerable. I'd really hate to be deaf, fuck that, I'd rather be blind (if it came to a choice, which is unlikely, still.........)

Yeah i'm not keen putting anything in my ear because i have a burst ear drum from a car crash years ago that never healed properly.

I had one meph sesh before xmas. Haven't touched any k since i realised i had an ear infection because it could be affected by my sinuses.

Waiting til Monday to see the doctor seems far wiser than putting olive oil in my ear. Even if the drum hadn't been burst. Ye silly auld coont 😄

And yeah it is annoying me people speaking to me on that side and i can't hear them. Then they get short tempered like i haven't been paying attention. Might start muttering thinly veiled threats under my breath 😂

A lot of docs don't give you antibiotics for ear infections now. Quite often they clear up 24-48 hours.

Definite +1 for the olive oil. You don't have to make it hot. Just warm it some. Lie on your side with it in for half an hour or so then turn over and let it run out onto some kitchen towel.

Or you can buy little saline ear sprays in the chemist too but warm oil helps dissolve the wax.

That's odd. I'm at 24 hours now. I don't think it's wax i think it's some kind of infection. Like i said to @ageingpartyfiend i had a car crash many years ago and burst the ear drum, it never really healed properly. So i would be quite weary of putting anything in the ear. If it wasn't for that then i would.

Yeah i'm not keen putting anything in my ear because i have a burst ear drum from a car crash years ago that never healed properly.

I had one meph sesh before xmas. Haven't touched any k since i realised i had an ear infection because it could be affected by my sinuses.

Waiting til Monday to see the doctor seems far wiser than putting olive oil in my ear. Even if the drum hadn't been burst. Ye silly auld coont 😄
Just yanking your chain mate, I too would be wary if I'd had a burst ear drum

If ear drum hadn't been burst though then there's fuck all danger using a bit of olive oil though lmfao, the youth of today eh:ROFLMAO: Whaddya think might happen - concerned about it seeping through to your brain and making it so oily that it might slip outta your ear or summat?? I mean, that would be one way of clearing your ear anyway

EDIT could be blocked eustachian tubes maybe too...and wax issues can last for aages mate, weeks...just cos it's been a day doesn't mean definitely infection

Let us know what the doc says. Ask him if olive oil is deadly too!

Just yanking your chain mate, I too would be wary if I'd had a burst ear drum

If ear drum hadn't been burst though then there's fuck all danger using a bit of olive oil though lmfao, the youth of today eh:ROFLMAO: Whaddya think might happen - concerned about it seeping through to your brain and making it so oily that it might slip outta your ear or summat?? I mean, that would be one way of clearing your ear anyway

Yeah i should have clarified in the first post. I have used the olive oil before. But it's the same drum that was burst so probably best to be cautious.

That's odd. I'm at 24 hours now. I don't think it's wax i think it's some kind of infection. Like i said to @ageingpartyfiend i had a car crash many years ago and burst the ear drum, it never really healed properly. So i would be quite weary of putting anything in the ear. If it wasn't for that then i would.
Nope. Totally agree. I don't think I'd be comfortable either if that was the case.

Could be eustachian tube/middle ear thing. Tonsils ok? Any pain or redness round the ear area? With a bit of luck it will start to settle soon.

Nope. Totally agree. I don't think I'd be comfortable either if that was the case.

Could be eustachian tube/middle ear thing. Tonsils ok? Any pain or redness round the ear area? With a bit of luck it will start to settle soon.

No redness around the ear. Tonsils seem ok. Decided to just take some time off smoking or anything til it gets better. Last thing i want is to make this worse and be permanently deaf in one ear.

Sensible. I'm sure you'll be ok, mate. See how it pans out over weekend and get it checked out on Monday.

Eugh now i've got really bad tinnitus in the same ear just came on there out of nowhere. Monday can't come soon enough.

See i've never had an ear infection before but if i can't hear anything tomorrow still would it be wise to go to A&E incase it gets any worse? Don't really want to have to go there on a Saturday but given the eardrum had been burst and had problems before i'm slightly concerned.

Eugh now i've got really bad tinnitus in the same ear just came on there out of nowhere. Monday can't come soon enough.

See i've never had an ear infection before but if i can't hear anything tomorrow still would it be wise to go to A&E incase it gets any worse? Don't really want to have to go there on a Saturday but given the eardrum had been burst and had problems before i'm slightly concerned.
If you're feeling anxious about it and the anxiety is troublesome then yeah, go

Tinnitus-type effects are extremely likely to occur with an ear blocked by wax, or due to eustachian tube blockage though - and those scenario's are much more lilkely than a burst eardrum out of nowhere (and are definiely not emergencies)

If you're feeling anxious about it and the anxiety is troublesome then yeah, go

Tinnitus-type effects are extremely likely to occur with an ear blocked by wax, or due to eustachian tube blockage though - and those scenario's are much more lilkely than a burst eardrum out of nowhere (and are definiely not emergencies)

So long as my hearing comes back i will be fine. It's just bugging me not being able to hear.

My eardrum was already burst from a car crash years ago that it never recovered fully from.

Well i realised this was a sinus infection. Snorted some pre boiled water, put a hot cloth on over my sinuses. Did the towel over the head over a hot bowl of water. Repeated several times.. avoided dairy today, lots of orange juice/vitamin C, protein and vegetables.. hearing has come back in that ear now after being on-off all day!

Thank god was becoming quite concerned after not being able to hear right for 48hrs there.

Well i realised this was a sinus infection. Snorted some pre boiled water, put a hot cloth on over my sinuses. Did the towel over the head over a hot bowl of water. Repeated several times.. avoided dairy today, lots of orange juice/vitamin C, protein and vegetables.. hearing has come back in that ear now after being on-off all day!

Thank god was becoming quite concerned after not being able to hear right for 48hrs there.

sounds like residual issues you're having from that cold/flu around new years?

You can use a hairdryer to help with comfort . Make sure you are eating, resting and avoiding alcohol. Hope you feel better soon.