Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

EADD Job Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know if temps get sick pay?

Or would they just say I didn't work those particular shifts?

well, you should get SSP, but i would say it's unlikely that an employer would pay a temp for pulling a sickie. fuck, i'm in a staff job now and i'm not entitled to full sick pay until my 3 months probation is up. :|

the only way to know for sure is to check your contract or ask them.

Temps tend to get paid for the hours they work, and that's it.

You should get holiday pay or paid holidays, though.

Be very surprised if you got sick pay, based on my experience temping here.

SSP?

And I don't have a copy of a contract, let alone the recall of signing one

Temping = no sick pay. At least not when I was doing a lot of it. Temps tend to be treated like shit and have a lot less rights than other workers. I think I remember that the rules were updated a while back giving more rights to temp workers, but I don't know if they've gone through yet.

Surely temps don't get sick or holiday pay? If you want full benefits, then get a permanent job. When I used to temp (many, many years ago!) you used to accept the lack of any benefits becuase the hourly wages were fairly good in comparison.

It's a bit of a thorny issue, I believe. One of my exes owned a temping agency so I did quite a bit of it at the time. Most of the places I worked at employed almost exclusively temps - many of whom had been working at the same place for years and years - mainly cos they can avoid paying SSP, holidays, etc. It's not necessarily a question of not wanting the permanent contract - it's down to whether the company concerned will give you one :\.

Oh, and not everywhere pays temps more - some pay less, some the same and some a little more. Depends on the company again.

NTT pay the agency £8 per hour, the agency pays me £6.50-6.75 per hour depending if I'm cold calling or not.

I asked them if I could be employed directly for £7 an hour.. they said no..if they did that with everyone they'd save a fuck load

Shambles said:
It's a bit of a thorny issue, I believe. One of my exes owned a temping agency so I did quite a bit of it at the time. Most of the places I worked at employed almost exclusively temps - many of whom had been working at the same place for years and years - mainly cos they can avoid paying SSP, holidays, etc. It's not necessarily a question of not wanting the permanent contract - it's down to whether the company concerned will give you one :\.

Oh, and not everywhere pays temps more - some pay less, some the same and some a little more. Depends on the company again.

I was meaning not all temps want a permanent contract, so people like the freedom that temping gives.

True. But a lot of people also seem to be under the impression that it's likely to lead to a permanent position - which it does sometimes - but they often end up just being taken advantage of... Bleedin' pigdoggery 8) ;).

Temp agencies are great for just doing a few weeks (or even just the odd day) here and there though. Handy if you're looking for a job but struggling to find one - the better employers will look at giving permanent contracts to temps if they show they are willing and able.

Just a shame it's only really factory/warehouse/delivery type work mostly - not much use if you're planning on finding a job that doesn't deaden you inside.

Really? I never realised people temp'd with the view of making the job permanent.

Then again, the Guernsey temp market is more secretarial and PA type stuff. Then there is a lot of contract work for qualified accountants. I've got mates who do 6 months work on £30 per hour for a few months as accountants and then piss of travelling until the money runs out and then they start over again.

eDDe9 said:
My team leader still gets paid via the agency lol.

I guess it saves Oxfam having to provide stakeholder pensions, sick pay etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.