• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [DPT Subthread] Physical properties: Stability, Solubility, Storage, Conversion

eternalcrux said:
My dpt freebase is oil. :(

I wouldn't worry. I was told that even a 1.5% of an impurity can cause DPT not to crystalize. In order to get DPT freebase crysta;s, it's got to be 99.5% I guess. So even if DPT oil is 98% pure, that's still pretty pure. Not enough to cause any subjective difference I'm sure. And I'm sure the many people who have smoked DPT freebase oil will tell you it's just fine. I've not smoked either yet, so I have no base of comparison.

Thanks for all the info so far; I have a few more questions.

In reguards to making a vaporizer.. i dotn need to. I have access to one. Will a normal marijuana vaporizer work? Should i use some sort of smoking bed? What would be the most effective way to smoke the dpt freebase oil then? Vaporizer, like one would smoke crack, a bong, or a pipe with a smoking bed (marijuana, parsley, ash, etc)?

ps i dont want to bother with lightbulbs, and i dont need to make a vaporizer, so barring out those two what would anyone suggest? Thanks.

You'll want to use a vaporizer that can heat your product up relatively quickly. Otherwise, you'll lose much of your hit due to condensation. I wouldn't use a marijuana vaporizer. Use a torch lighter to heat up your product in a thin glass or metal "bowl."

Or, stack a bunch of screens in your pipe at different orientations and hit it off of this.

putting it on a herbal substrate and burning it is a bit wasteful, i suppose. But so what? it is easy and DPT is pretty cheap.

[edit] sorry..that was getting off-topic i suppose...

Last edited:
No first hand experience smoking DPT, but I find the multiple screen methode extremely effective with 5-meo-dmt. I'll place two screens below the substance and then then place one on top to disperse the heat more evenly. The dmt soaks into the screens and then vaporizes off. Be careful though as vaporized residue can accumulate on the screens over time. You may need more screens since you will probably be dealing with conciderably more material than a standard 5-meo-dmt dose.

Can't you just put the oil on simple cigarette ashes instead of using multiple smoking screens? Then the oil also has something to melt in when it is heaten up, more substance, maybe?

DPT freebase mp

I couldn't find a melting point anywhere on the freebase (if someone knows a lit. value please post).A very pure (now crystallin) sample melts very sharply at 49.5-50°C on my machine.

Why not just chase it off foil, it works fine for 5meoDMT.
Zophen.

swim says this way works well too!

weigh out 20 to 40mgs (Oil), drop the oil into a shot glass. Then add some alcohol (99% rubbing alcohol) or everclear. You only need a few drops; just enough to absorb the oil! Now add a small amount of cannabis, parsley or mint. Tobacco works if your into that!

All you have to do is wait for the plant material to dry, it don't take that long.

When swim weighed the oil, his first time he needed to know how much 20 to 40+ mg was. He uses a tooth pick sized metal poker, dip it into the oil (1/4 to 1/2 inch into the oil will do) Then let the oil drop onto an already teared scale. It was terd with some plant material first.

He no longed needs to use a scale, because he knows that a drop from the poker that he always uses is about 20mg's.

Always start with a low dose if this is your first time! then work your way up to 40, 60, ect...
cheers

austior, I found it just as easy to form DPT freebase crystals. I used tap water with NaOH dissolved in it at an equimolar ratio to the amount of DPT HCl I wanted to freebase. When I dropped the DPT HCl powder in the water, and shook it up, after a few seconds it curled up into a waxy orange rock floating on the surface of the water. I stuck a stirring rod into the water and the DPT stuck to the rod and was easy to wipe off of it.

my version of freebasing dpt hcl

i've read quite a bit about freebasing dpt hcl, and some of the methods require a seperatory funnel and a solvent. well here is what i did recently. i dissolved 210mg of DPT HCl in 15ml of water in a short, wide glass dish. i then added 30mg of NaOH (exactly 1/7th the mass of DPT HCl). in appearance, this was more like 1/100th, as NaOH is very dense, so a scale is necessary. as soon as the NaOH was added it instantly produced a cloudy precipitate. after shaking vigorously in a closed container i placed it back in the glass dish and put in the oven as low as it could go, about 170 F. i would say a heat lamp or just a very powerful lamp would work just as well only slower. in the end there was a fine, thin layer of what appeared near pure DPT oil; a pretty pinkish/red color. i've tried the baking soda method and it did not work very well at all. this seems to be the best method i can find without the use of a seperatory funnel or solvent other than water. anyone else have some methods they use without the use of solvents or expensive funnels? i think i also smelled some of the DPT when it was in the oven, not sure if it vaporized some at 170 F or not, maybe the lamp method would be better. any input is much appreciated!

Back in the early '80's, it was easy to buy diethyl ether anywhere, and that's what we used for freebasing Bolivian Prozac...

Today, ether's a pain in the ass to get, but dichloromethane (aka DCM, methylene dichloride, or CH2Cl2) shouldn't be too hard to find and is a very clean solvent. It will extract the freebase so you can just lay it out on a glass plate, let it evaporate, and save yourself the headache of drying in the oven.

My 2 cents only...

DCM - very dangerous, cancerous, highly volatile.

Be especially careful if you're using one that is orders of magnitude more volatile than other options.

yes but you would still need a seperatory funnel or some sort of glass container with a drain plug. i find it much easier to use NaOH (lye) because you can get it almost anywhere. i'm still waiting to test the DPT freebase but i'm pretty confident that the results will be superb!

would this method work for almost any tryptamine hcl? for instance, dmt hcl or 4-aco-mipt as long as the mole to mole ratio is correct? is dmt freebase any more or less stable than dpt freebase? it seems so far the dpt oil i have is not changing (oxidizing) very much at all.

i are spectre said:
yes but you would still need a seperatory funnel or some sort of glass container with a drain plug. i find it much easier to use NaOH (lye) because you can get it almost anywhere. i'm still waiting to test the DPT freebase but i'm pretty confident that the results will be superb!
A water bottle with the cap you can take a drink from without unscrewing works great as a sep funnel.

samadhi_smiles said:
DCM - very dangerous, cancerous, highly volatile.

Be especially careful if you're using one that is orders of magnitude more volatile than other options.

Agreed. But DCM's volatility allows it to "remove itself" more completely from crystalline products, which in the end has always made it seem cleaner to me. Products crystallized in relatively anhydrous DCM always come out whiter, dryer, and I would swear, more pure than those crystallized from the other stuff...

See Strike's Total Synthesis II for further testimonials... :D

While "chemistry snobs" might scoff at that book, it really is pretty informative for those interested in such material.

where can someone find methylene dichloride locally? would a large hardware store or something like home depot have it? what would be a good reason to use it, i heard it's good for cleaning carpets? and how would you remove it, does it just naturally evaporate? that pop bottle idea is very good though, i was thinking of making some sort of valve or perhaps a rubber tube with a clip, seems like that would work perfectly! i'm just wondering if almost any tryptamine hydrochloride salt has the ability to freebase with the same method, such as DMT HCl or 4 position tryptamines.