• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [DPT Subthread] Physical properties: Stability, Solubility, Storage, Conversion

^^^^Let me look into it and I'll get back to you. You'd want to remove as much water as possible before using, perhaps by drying over MgSO4, and yes you'd let it evaporate, but as samadhi_smiles mentioned, it would have to be in an open space to limit exposure as much as possible.

Don't worry, I worked with it for years and my IQ is still above 90...

well it boils at about 104 degrees F, so it would evaporate quickly at 110. what do you mean evaporate water before using? i would use as little water as possible, say place dpt hcl in a cup, then add small amounts of water until completely dissolved, add the NaOH, then add the dichloromethane and put in a pop bottle upside down and drain. it might be pretty tricky though to make sure almost no water gets through, maybe a rubber house connected to an eye dropper and pinch it slowly. dichloromethane is a little toxic though, how could you be sure its all gone?

Sorry, re the solvent drying: I take that back. I was thinking of crystallizing stuff with dry gas to make the HCL from freebase. Silly me.

You would be extracting freebase alkaloids into the DCM in order to separate them from the water-soluble crap, so the DCM is going to be wet anyway. Once the organic (DCM) layer and the aqueous layer are separated, put the organic layer on a warm plate and let it evaporate. It will evaporate cleanly (after all, it does so at ~100-105 F), leaving little residue, certainly less than naptha or other solvents people use for this process.

I mean, diethyl ether would be best, but is likely a pain to get and more expensive.

This is just something to try, that I think would work and give you cleaner freebase. We are, after all, researchers... :)

Does the freebase taste any better?! The DPT just arrived and I had a small toke to see how it tasted....yuck! It's still in my mouth!!!!!!

I think I am going to convert it....

I will have to be very careful with the NaOH, I don't want to end up smoking that :(

yeah, i wouldn't even try smoking the salt. i finally tested the freebase i made last night and it rocked the house for lack of better terms. just make sure when you convert it you use 1/7th mass of NaOH if you have near pure dpt hcl.

DPT HCl = 280.84g/mol
NaOH = 40.0g/mol

ya you don't want to be smoking NaOH, even though it melts at 600 degrees and evaporates at 2500 degrees ;) i'd say it's essential to have an accurate scale to do this. i plan on freebasing the rest of my dpt hcl soon considering the great return i had, i don't even think a solvent is really necessary, just patients with the water evaporating. i'm just curious to how long dpt oil can hang around for? probably a few years eh?

What is the reasoning for putting the solution under heat? Couldn't I just make the solution and let it sit? Please explain :)

Here is what I am doing.

Dissolve 350mg DPT hcl into 25ml of H2O. Slowly add 50mg of NaOH and shake. After that, I'll decide what to do wether it be let it sit or put under a lamp. My oven only goes to 200 degrees at the lowest.

Last edited:
yep. i just placed it in the oven to speed up the evaporation process. if you use as little water as possible you could probably let it sit overnight under a lamp with great results! also most ovens don't go below 200 degrees F, but mine went to 170. apparently the melting point of dpt is about 350 degrees F but i smelled it at 170. i don't know if it was a loss of product or not, i'd have to assume so; if you smell it, it must be vaporizing. that i didn't understand.

Ok so now I have a milky solution.....where is this redish layer that was supposed to be there :( It's under a lamp now in a shallow dish. The liquid is somewhat clear with a white layer. Right now, obivously, it smells like NaOH, hopefully when it's all evaporated, I won't smell that anymore. If it smells like NaOH after, I won't be using it.

Last edited:
it should just be milky in solution. once evaporated it turns to a orange/red/pink tint. there were both crystals and oil of the same color in the dish. i don't think it should smell like NaOH, i've never even noticed a smell from it anyways. if you used 1/7th by mass NaOH then there would hardly be any NaOH at all, if you eyeballed it, then you have way too much NaOH because lye is VERY dense.

No, I didn't eyeball it!!! I specifically did more DPT so that I would have less error on the NaOH. I though ahead on that one lol. If this works, which I don't see why it won't I'll convert more :) Right now it's about half evaporated at most while still clear with white blotches and a fairly large amount settled on the bottom.

Now that it's almost all evaporated, it seems to be much much less than what I put in. I'll see when it's all dry.

yeah, it didnt look like much, but im sure the oil is very dense, and a small amount went way further than i had expected. on toad's dpt primer he says to mix with chopped parsley which i think i might do.

When it's all dry I'll freeze it and weigh it. After that I'll probably store it in a small glass vial.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about the conversion. Some say this technique will work and others are saying I need a non polar solvent to extract the DPT freebase from the solution. Which is right, or are they both right? Is this just one step shorter? Do I NEED to solvent to get the freebase correctly? It's almost all evaporated, a few more hours. It's still all pure white.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All is dried and I now have some nice light orange chunks on DPT freebase (I hope) I'll test it out and report back with the weight as well

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone please explain how I got 1.05g out of this when I only put in 350mg DPT hcl and 50mg NaOH....??????

I thought weight was lost when converting HCL to freebase....?

I'm stumped

I don't know what I made, but it's something other than DPT freebase....the chunks I had put into my base pipe they rocked up even more. It didn't melt to an oil or anything, just stayed solid. It smoked and it deffinatly hit me harder than straight HCL. My heart rate went way up, felt somewhat nauseated, and things are deffinatly swaying and my vision is odd. I'm very confused as to what I have now.......

DPT2.jpg

After the pinkish burns off I'm left with a white/tan rock... I took it out and crumbles once I apply pressure. Still feels slightly waxy when I crush it. Please tell me I wasn't smoking lye, as I did not want to do that. Even if I did, just once, would there be any ill or noticeable effects of toxicity?

EDIT : Next time I'm going to break it up before hand and see if that works better.

Shit, another thing I just realized. Why wouldn't there be NaOH in there?! I was just a mixture of NaOH and DPT, evaporated. Isn't that what I get in the end product??? NaOH is a solid and doesn't evaporate :-/

I think next time I'll be using the non polar solvent to extract the DPT from the solution.....

I'm assuming the extra weight is H2O trapped inside.....

Last edited:
How did the water get trapped? How can I avoid this next time? Did I do well? It doesn't smoke very well at all. They are fairly pretty though :D

I just smoked some of it. The first toke is just heat and almost no smoke. Second toke, more vapor and I inhale it. Exhale, I feel something odd....third toke, much more smoke and suck it all in. My pipe looked miniature.....I turned it towards me and grew even bigger than normal. Turned it back, and it shrunk to a little pipe again. Hehe, that was cool :D Numbs/burns the shit out of my lips though. Leaves and awful taste in my mouth. Not something I'd consider taking too often. Maybe, one time I'll snort a small amount of it. These tryptamines for me, are meant to be smoked. Short acting is where it's at :)

Just recently made some DPT freebase using this tech, it produced some pinky/orange crystals and some oil of the same colour. Its much more oily than the pics that juicyjay posted. Ill be trying it today.....

You can't smoke NaOH anyways, your lighter won't vaporize it. I found it unnecessary to use a solvent or even evaporate the water, as the DPT HCl didn't dissolve in the alkaline water. It just swirled around and formed a solid crystalline waxy ball floating on top of the water when I shook it up. The waxy DPT freebase stuck to a glass stirring rod like a fly to pine sap.