• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Do you regret taking drugs?

Weed was the worst. That absolutely WRECKED my life when I was in my 20s. I lost everything, and believe me, it wasn't worth it.
How exactly did this happen with weed or hash? Were you arrested trafficking a large amount or growing a large quantity?

Yes and no. I regret smoking tobacco but I have smoked the equivalent of maybe two or three packs from 14-22 and maybe 8 cigars, but I am glad I quit smoking tobacco by smoking hash and weed instead. I was never a daily smoker of anything as it was too expensive, and I never used anything daily except for alcohol and I would go on binges with the other drugs including LSD. I regret sniffing crazy glue and ammonia salts at 14 or 15 but reading about how John Waters and an entire generation or two or three had done this made me not feel so bad and I never used any other inhalants not even Amyl or poppers except for nitrous-oxide maybe five times once medical grade and the rest food grade in low doses to enhance shroom trips and being stoned. I have a friend that used to inhale freon as a teen, and now he is a chemist!

I also regret getting into drugs and drinking when I was 14 but I stopped by the time I was 30, and while I never went to rehab, AA, NA, etc. using drugs at that young of an age that an older addict introduced me to was not good. I was into alcohol, weed, hash, acid, mushrooms, nitrous-oxide, Dexedrine and prescription amphetamines, and prescription opiates. They say marijuana leads to heroin. I don't know if that's true but I am very lucky and grateful that I never used heroin or made the choice to try it the way lots of my friends did and that using coke once made me realise that if I used it again I would get addicted the way my friends did.

Last edited:
Made the decision to become a heroin addict at the age of 12 [1967] and have been an addict ever since; the 60's, 70's and 80's were a never-ending nightmare. More overdoses than I can possibly count or remember, frequent homelessness, county jails, prisons, old-friends and strangers dying near me or in my arms, etc. you name it. Shot, stabbed, run-over and left for dead too many times. W/o mitigation [Methadone and Bupe] I'd not be here today. My last Methadone Cold W/D almost KILLED me....regrets? I got 'em in bunches and bunches and bunches. One thing's true, I always have been - and always will be- a motherfuckin' junkie...it's with me every day of my life.
What happened at 12 in the late 1960s that made you want to use heroin?

My point is that you have to consider your audience. At what age did you come to this " enlightened perception", if I might ask? Are you a parent? Sibling?
I'm not a parent, no, but I am a sibling. What is my audience? I'm presuming that my audience is one of responsible adults, which might be optimistic, for sure, but I'd prefer to base my discussion on that fact than assuming I'm talking to a group of immature children, unable to make decisions for themselves, and unable to think in anything but the simplest of terms, as you seem to be suggesting.

How old are you, since I notice you have have not yet shared? Assuming you are a parent, please share also how your being a parent influences your thinking about the topic at hand, specifically as it relates to this sub-debate we seem to find ourselves in on the value - or lack, thereof - of framing things in terms of "regret", and idle fantasising about what life would be like if we had a crystal ball every step of the way.

And how are your views on the topic positive in any way towards HR? If only one young pup accesses this thread pre-experiment, on the fence so to say, they've clicked because they want an answer. Mind's still developing till early 20's
hence the hesitation. HR just what it says. If that can be DON'T rather than Proceed with Caution, then still a win.
Some do not have the capability to use responsibly,
Just "DON'T" isn't harm reduction, it's "just say NO", and has about as much value in educating people about drugs as "abstinence only" type advice does in educating people about sex.

Some don't have the capability to use responsibly, I agree, just as some people don't have the capability to hold down a job, learn about quantum physics, or avoid fucking up their own lives in all sorts of ways completely unrelated to drugs. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't be honest with these people, if they ask about job opportunities, education, or for honest advice about how to avoid the mistakes they keep making. There's also no way to really tell how capable someone is at doing something until they try it, and how much drug related harm do you expect to prevent by telling people, "just don't do it, some people aren't capable of doing it responsibly, and you probably aren't either"...?

I agree, the mind is still developing until the early 20s, even 25 or later, IMO, and personally I've definitely felt the effects of a maturing mind and continue to feel those effects. That said, at 20 one is no longer a child and should not be treated as such. The OP (I'm assuming) is also not a child, and the question wasn't "SHOULD I try drugs?", it was "Do you REGRET taking drugs?", so my own discussion is in response to the question actually asked, not a hypothetical question in the mind of some imaginary children who are somehow so on the fence about drug use that a single thread is going to sway them. Again, no decision happens in a vacuum, and if anything I've posted in this thread is going to somehow direct someone towards using a substance that they were on the fence about, I have a very very hard time believing they would not find some other reason to use that substance even if they hadn't found this thread, since obviously that's what they're already looking for, some excuse or justification for a decision that they've subconsciously already made.

On that note, how much value do you expect a thread that is explicitly only for older drug users (maybe only jaded, regretful ones?) is going to have in deterring younger members from using drugs - assuming that that's even a sensible or worthwhile objective, in itself? I would suggest that a thread consisting only of grisly war stories - traded in between expressions of helpless, pointless regret and lamentations about how much everyone wishes they had done things differently, and how much better this fantastical alternate reality must be than the present one - would likely be something that younger propsective substance users would probably not even read, or would definitely not attribute too much significance to, easily dismissing it as the inane grumblings of a bunch of jaded old fools (no disrespect to our older crowd here, or to yourself, wudbutcher, I don't think this, everyone's experiences and perspectives have value - again I'm just using extreme examples to drive home the point - scare stories are not a sensible or effective way to educate anyone).

Because like it or not, that's the debate here, should be wasting our time in fantasy, regretful lamentations about possible alternate lives that never were (where young people all listen to their elders and "just say NO" to hard drugs, perhaps) or should we be focusing our energies on dealing with reality as it actually is, and respect everyone enough to grant them the mental capacity to be told the truth about that reality, instead of "keeping it simple" and dancing around the truth "for their own good"?

Last edited:
Without an SSRI I would 100% have killed myself by now
Without a benzo I would still be isolated and panicking all day every day and have killed myself by now.
Without opioids I would be bedridden screaming in pain.

So that's a hard no.

Psychedelics yeah. I went too deep with them and now I have semi psychotic mindset 24/7. YAY. Propably shouldnt have ever started benzos and pregabalin as meds.

i regret everything but right now especially I regret being dependent on dexies when I have no script, they usually cost 5 bucks per pill, and right now there are hardly any around even though I have money. also I look so tired that the man in kebab shop just thought my brother was my SON!

Psychedelics yeah. I went too deep with them and now I have semi psychotic mindset 24/7. YAY. Propably shouldnt have ever started benzos and pregabalin as meds.
pregab suck! you get tolerant too quickly. also I got put on a "doctor shopper" government list because my shithead ex kept badgering me to take my repeat scripts around to different pharmacies, so it appeared I was eating about 900 a month.
these were, btw, prescribed for a broken shoulder I got because he shoved me.
Yeah.
He is to asshole-Dom what Tonya Harding is to triple axels in figure skating.

How exactly did this happen with weed or hash? Were you arrested trafficking a large amount or growing a large quantity?
I was married, had a good (state) job, and I was a full time college student (all expenses paid including apartment). I started dealing, and gradually that took over my entire life. Eventually I quit my job, dropped out of college, and finally broke up with my wife. Fortunately, I was never arrested or had any children. I thought I could handle weed, but that was just a stupid self deception. I was dealing weed and hash. I would not wish what happened to me on anyone. It was a nightmare that I still deeply regret all these years later.

Yeah, they are bad. Fucked my memory and learning up. I took them with benzos and propably came off of them for as long as long I was on them.

Is there any particular drug that you wish you never started?

If you could quit drugs all together with ease and no comedown and withdrawrel and be tt clean, would you?

Also..what is your main reoccurring drug?
I regret starting so early more than anything, I started at 8 pinching my mums mst every now and then and splitting that up then eventually grew to daily opiate use by the time I was 12. Started benzos not long after that then came speed weed and zopiclone daily pretty much up until 26 with the odd couple week break off the b and the zops. Got 'clean' last year (was still smoking weed daily, taking party drugs and still taking benzos daily, though the benzos help with my anxiety and that more than drs meds ever have). Got back on the b a few months ago but currently kicking it again.
Strangely even through a heroin addiction, a benzo addiction, an amphetamine addiction and alcoholism (i rarely drink anymore yet I can still down a pint of tequila like its nothing) the 'drug' I regret starting the most is cigarettes.
To answer your question about jumping off, yes to everything but heroin, as much as I hate it it's the only thing that makes me feel like me. Benzos I'd like to be clean from but they also keep me grounded so that ones a hard one.

I've been thinking about this more and the correct answer is I probably regret coming down from drugs more than I regret the taking of them per se. All my bad drug memories are of the next day / following week. The actual drugs themselves were mainly pretty cool. ALthough I think I already said I regret using a needle to take them. So yeah, I regret wrong ROA and, in retrospect, then the come downs. But of course you can't stay high forever and be any kind of functional and I regret not being at my full potential for many years. I also regret the damage done to my memory by some drugs like MDMA.

I'm not a parent, no, but I am a sibling. What is my audience? I'm presuming that my audience is one of responsible adults, which might be optimistic, for sure, but I'd prefer to base my discussion on that fact than assuming I'm talking to a group of immature children, unable to make decisions for themselves, and unable to think in anything but the simplest of terms, as you seem to be suggesting.

How old are you, since I notice you have have not yet shared? Assuming you are a parent, please share also how your being a parent influences your thinking about the topic at hand, specifically as it relates to this sub-debate we seem to find ourselves in on the value - or lack, thereof - of framing things in terms of "regret", and idle fantasising about what life would be like if we had a crystal ball every step of the way.

Just "DON'T" isn't harm reduction, it's "just say NO", and has about as much value in educating people about drugs as "abstinence only" type advice does in educating people about sex.

Some don't have the capability to use responsibly, I agree, just as some people don't have the capability to hold down a job, learn about quantum physics, or avoid fucking up their own lives in all sorts of ways completely unrelated to drugs. It doesn't mean that we shouldn't be honest with these people, if they ask about job opportunities, education, or for honest advice about how to avoid the mistakes they keep making. There's also no way to really tell how capable someone is at doing something until they try it, and how much drug related harm do you expect to prevent by telling people, "just don't do it, some people aren't capable of doing it responsibly, and you probably aren't either"...?

I agree, the mind is still developing until the early 20s, even 25 or later, IMO, and personally I've definitely felt the effects of a maturing mind and continue to feel those effects. That said, at 20 one is no longer a child and should not be treated as such. The OP (I'm assuming) is also not a child, and the question wasn't "SHOULD I try drugs?", it was "Do you REGRET taking drugs?", so my own discussion is in response to the question actually asked, not a hypothetical question in the mind of some imaginary children who are somehow so on the fence about drug use that a single thread is going to sway them. Again, no decision happens in a vacuum, and if anything I've posted in this thread is going to somehow direct someone towards using a substance that they were on the fence about, I have a very very hard time believing they would not find some other reason to use that substance even if they hadn't found this thread, since obviously that's what they're already looking for, some excuse or justification for a decision that they've subconsciously already made.

On that note, how much value do you expect a thread that is explicitly only for older drug users (maybe only jaded, regretful ones?) is going to have in deterring younger members from using drugs - assuming that that's even a sensible or worthwhile objective, in itself? I would suggest that a thread consisting only of grisly war stories - traded in between expressions of helpless, pointless regret and lamentations about how much everyone wishes they had done things differently, and how much better this fantastical alternate reality must be than the present one - would likely be something that younger propsective substance users would probably not even read, or would definitely not attribute too much significance to, easily dismissing it as the inane grumblings of a bunch of jaded old fools (no disrespect to our older crowd here, or to yourself, wudbutcher, I don't think this, everyone's experiences and perspectives have value - again I'm just using extreme examples to drive home the point - scare stories are not a sensible or effective way to educate anyone).

Because like it or not, that's the debate here, should be wasting our time in fantasy, regretful lamentations about possible alternate lives that never were (where young people all listen to their elders and "just say NO" to hard drugs, perhaps) or should we be focusing our energies on dealing with reality as it actually is, and respect everyone enough to grant them the mental capacity to be told the truth about that reality, instead of "keeping it simple" and dancing around the truth "for their own good"?

Really I regret making avoidable mistakes out of no or des/misinformation, anxiety, pressure (socially, legally etc), loneliness/isolation and most of all war on drugs related ones which lead to the majority of bad trips or shitty stuff done high, I tend to think all of them would have been avoidable in better conditions.

I regret to ever having trusted doctors, lawyers and social workers.

Think too that people can learn to control their use, maybe not everybody but many, by solving psychological issues and suppressed things. Independent of previous 'addictions' and similar, contrary to popular belief and that it's still wrong how society and medicine treats users as well as people with dependence.

Drugs specifically, yeah first of all prescription things. SSRIs, say goodbye to satisfying sex and trips for example. Sodium valproate, hello psychosis. Antipsychotics - hell on earth but good to know and to avoid them like the plague. Then that I did too much of DXM too early but guess that's it, and I did most of the things out there. Strange though that the only ones which ever got me are the dissociatives and I suspect that without knowing them I would have had much worse addictions (again contrary to popular belief I think that people having access to many substances instead of just one or two is more good than bad, so called polytoxicomania is difficult to treat in a hospital which puts you cold turkey on meds but also gives you more tools at hand then that's what drugs are. Tools.)

In the end I did more shit out of lack of impulse control while sober as fuck (heavy childhood PTSD, multiple times misdiagnosed and over looked) than ever under influence so I decided to spend less time in that state and it appears to work out 🤔

IMO it is against human rights to criminalize adult individuals for buying, selling, taking something out of their own decisions without hurting anyone but possibly themselves and rigurous legalisation would certainly change the world not necessarily in a bad way, avoid an awful lot of various criminality and suffering, generate tax income, lead to more efficient police work, individuals inventing novel medicines (!) etc..

Yeah, in a world of legalization probably more people would try more substances but does this count or the educated guess (read eg about the Rat Park and draw your conclusions for humans, or see decriminalisation Portugal etc) that at the same time less people would get harmed, go to jail, need social support due to wrecked lifes or die?

Last edited:
Pandora's boxes tend always to have a sweet thing to them or at least something calling some people very intensely to open it.

Well then I love group of chemicals many call just weird* and are used to study psychosis in animals (I don't buy the model psychosis thing and attribute it to the circumstances in which these poor animals are kept.). Or like to watch horror/specially dark sci-fi or fantasy movies on them (ever felt like you are the movie, getting all the adrenaline yet no hint of real anxiety or tachycardia? Fun.)
Is it really bad if something makes you curious about what the next experience will bring up, and leaves you functional in life but shows you just how boring and wrong the average life is, in a time when I still had good social days I forgot about the drugs until I got bored again ... It is a problem though as we have no choice but to accept this society I guess ... just this tells more about society than substances.
While opioids, even heroin is just a medicine with bad aftermath for me. Things are just not the same for everybody but I greatly miss the science and politics people to even just care to realize these differencies.

Have to admit though that these experiences will have changed me profoundly, quite probably only matched with what psychedelics can do. Curiously, these dark dissociatives where everybody thinks of psychosis are apparently safer when combined with psychedelics than each of these drug classes used alone. We have still so so much to learn about neuroscience and the more you know about it, the more diverse and relative you think about the whole topic. That horrible term addiction becomes an annoyance when you see the mechanisms behind and the real reasons why people do reckless things with chemicals.

Also have to admit that I might be better off without opening that box, and certainly I think about that from time to time. The conclusion is that I can't be sure, and that we have people who did literally hundreds of previously unknown substances in a good set & setting and these people tend to be successful with what they do and not get ill effects.

I certainly over-did it nevertheless, out of frustration and suicidality when my first gf left me cause of the exact drugs which made my personality more socially compatible, and this has bad effects ...

Last edited:
I think doing speed was the problem for me. I started doing it a lot, alot of benzos and alcohol too. I have around 2-3 weeks of full blackout where i don't remember anything. I get very agressive and confortational when i do benzos. I also usually black out because i keep eating them thinking im not high. Yes i do, i would be in much better place without drugs.

Marijuana. Taking it a few times as an adult is juxtaposed to smoking it as an early teen despite it causing serious paranoia.

I honestly have no opinion with regard to stimulants. They have their definite ups, and their drawbacks. Going to have to wait longer for that decision. Same with benzos.

If I could go back and just be on one or two medications, I would. But life had other plans. Actually, I'd rather not have started pharmaceuticals at all. Or at least waited another ten years.

Psychedelics it's hard to say. Definitely regret taking a psych. with an SSRI and 5-HTP. Such a naive and dangerous move.

For me it's yes and no.
I'm glad I have tried them. I'd be too curious otherwise.
I'm not glad I got addicted to benzos. That was a cunt to kick.
I'm not glad I ruined my bladder and probably some of my brain with ketamine.
And I'm not glad I've ruined nearly all my veins with the needle.
But I sure as hell have had some fucking wicked times over the years. Bad ones too - some really bad ones. But so far, touch wood, more good ones...i think. Lol.
I also am not glad and don't really want to think about how much money I've spent, and owe out 🤔🙄

So yeah, can't really give a definitive answer.