• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Do you consider MDMA a psychedelic?

Is MDMA psychedelic? (please answer only if you know that it was MDMA you took!)

• Yes

Votes: 229 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 140 37.9%

• Total voters
^ Agreed, as well as with everyone who voted that way. I have had more intense realizations (of all types, with most aspects of my life) with MDMA than anything else- nights with it that have set the course of my life, basically.

I do consider it a psychedelic, but not in the traditional way. It synergies with other psychedelics and definitely has mind expanding properties. That said, I consider MDA more of a psychedelic in the traditional sense, yet completely unique, as it totally alters my sense of perception.

MDMA is hallucinogenic at doses above ~300 mg, MDA above ~200 mg. Whether you classify them as psychedelic depends on your definition of psychedelic. They are milder than most classical psychedelics, but they can be stronger than LSA, for example, which some people classify as a psychedelic.

I think MDMA is psychedelic because it has, at least in me, mind-manifesting properties. Sometimes while I'm rolling I have very profound realizations about myself and my life, similar to the ones I have on the traditional psychedelics, but often more centered on myself and my interactions with others rather than the history of the world etc etc. These profound moments of realization are the one most important parts of what makes an experience psychedelic.

Of course, MDMA is less profound and spiritual that the traditional psychs, but I think it still is psychedelic.

MDMA is most definitely a psychedelic if going by the classic definition (a mind-expanding drug). MDMA is not a visual experience like mescaline or LSD, but neither is DiPT, a-ET, or 5-MeO-DMT...yet no one argues that these are psychedelics.

I feel there is a continuum along which psychedelics lay....I don't think its linear but nevertheless some psychedelics are visionary, some are entactogenic, some are just sensory and others are all or some of this.

morninggloryseed said:
MDMA is most definitely a psychedelic if going by the classic definition (a mind-expanding drug). MDMA is not a visual experience like mescaline or LSD, but neither is DiPT, a-ET, or 5-MeO-DMT...yet no one argues that these are psychedelics.

I feel there is a continuum along which psychedelics lay....I don't think its linear but nevertheless some psychedelics are visionary, some are entactogenic, some are just sensory and others are all or some of this.

About as accurate a statement as you can get on this subject. Although it is one of the most abusable psychedelics possible. And not a very confrontational one. I would say MDMA walks a fine line but when used intelligently can definitely lead to mind expansion which sets it apart from other stimulants. E pills are in no way psychedelic and barely evevate above simple amphetamines (because thats what they usually are).

MGS, do you remember the idea we had that we could map out the psychedelic experience spatially in a n-dimension morpho-space (I think xorkoth and I talked about some sort of project like that).

I imagine things non-linearly, in fact likely to have more dimensions than even 3. :)

And incidentally, 5-meO-DMT is massively visual for me. I imagine I will get very many visuals on DiPT also (I got visuals on 5-Meo-DiPT).

^ Same here. But I've noticed that my sensitivity to visual activity is far greater than pretty much everyone else I trip with... visuals go nuts for me on essentially anything with hallucinogenic/psychedelic aspects. I've just always assumed it was some kind of overcompensating factor given that my natural eyesight is really, really terrible.

What are your thoughts on combining LSD and MDMA in the candyflipping combination to increase the benefits of the experience spiritually and/or recreationally? I am considering th combo again but I dont want it to cut back on LSDs profundity and depth ( I have done it before at a concert and had a wonderful time but felt that it made the experience 'easier') Any thoughts on the matter?

In a nutshell, i don't consider it a psychedelic. Mushrooms and LSD alter my perception, take me to alternate realities, influence me to think outside the square.

Sure, on MDMA im in an altered state, but i wouldn't classify it as being psychedelic as such.

My 2 cents.

FreedomOfTheMind said:
What are your thoughts on combining LSD and MDMA in the candyflipping combination to increase the benefits of the experience spiritually and/or recreationally? I am considering th combo again but I dont want it to cut back on LSDs profundity and depth ( I have done it before at a concert and had a wonderful time but felt that it made the experience 'easier') Any thoughts on the matter?

I see what you mean there... MDMA is a wonderful buffer drug for me, because I know the feeling really well and I feel I can control it better than most anything else. I can definitely see how it can detract from the depth of something like LSD... having never taken that combination I'm not entirely sure what to tell you, because I have heard of people having more intense experiences from the combinaton than was ever achieved singularly. I suppose it's the kind of thing that is dependant on the person and what they are hoping to get out of the experience.

If you define psychedelic literally by root words ("mind or soul manifester"), then yes I do consider MDMA to be a psychedelic; however, if you use the pharmacological jargon (5-HT2a agonist), then no I don't really consider MDMA a true psychedelic.

To me MDMA visuals are like the ones u get on amphetamines.

Everything looks crystal clear, alittle bit more colorful and lively. Sometimes I even get patterns, very slight...But nothing is manifesting like a psychedelic would.

Stimulants can change the way your envirement kinda looks and since MDMA has some stimulant properties it does too.

MDMA's stimulant effects are of course a sleepy/sedating-feeling type.
Nothing like amphetamine of course.

I've eaten several ounces of amphetamine in my lifetime, and have tried S-meth a few time on top....MDMA isn't like either of them. Not any part.

I vote no. Although it does drastically persuade our typical frame of mind, I don't feel it alters our true inner selves in any way. All it does is strip away the layers of bullshit and fear that accumulate on our egos over time, and allows us to truly be 'us', without any fear of what we know to be true.

I like to think of it as temporary enlightenment

I can see the psychedelic aspect of MDMA, but I don't consider it to be a psychedelic, no. For me, psychedelics are all about experiencing the entire spectrum of emotions and thoughts; MDMA is far more forceful in pushing one into a state of pure euphoria. The potential for introspection while under it's influence is great, but it just doesn't have the same "feel" to me in regards to tripping.

I've tried shrooms, LSD and DMT, and while each most definitely have their own distinct character traits, they all seem linked by common themes that are just hard for me to associate with MDMA.