• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Phenethylamines Do you consider MDMA a psychedelic?

Is MDMA psychedelic? (please answer only if you know that it was MDMA you took!)

• Yes

Votes: 229 62.1%
  • No

Votes: 140 37.9%

• Total voters
Well would the people who don't consider it a psychedelic consider 2C-T-21 or MMDA psychedelics as they don't fit the classical profile?

2ct21 I wouldn't consider a psychedelic - more ah erm ...hmmmm ?????????

MMDA I haven't tried.

Pollified ;)

To me, MDMA is most definitely not psychedelic, the same way Ketamine and C. indica are not psychedelic. I use the word "psychedelic" not for its literal meaning, but as a very strict classification of certain effect that some chemicals elicit (of which the measuring stick has been, traditionally, LSD (or DOI if you're a rat in certain labs). I think this is necessary, because taking drug classes for literal value and playing with that leads to disasters like "omgz! Ketamine are a horse tranquilizer".

On top of that, "empathogen" and "entactogen" to me are properties, not a class of drugs, because they tend to appear in several different classes. I don't think anyone can argue against the case that Heroin has entactogenic properties... but so does cocaine, and therefore you cannot really make that a class since both drugs already belong to well-established classes of their own (depressant and stimulant, respectively).

To clarify: let's take depressants for example. There are "classic" criteria for a drug to be called a "depressant", which generally conform to the qualities elicited by barbiturates. Now, I have personally experienced lethargia and "drowsiness" (and I know many of you know what I'm talking about) with meth. Does that mean that I can say that meth is a depressant? No. It may sometimes show depressant-like qualities, but it certainly isn't one. The same goes for drugs (like MDMA) that may "open your mind" (ie. mind-expanding) in certian sets and settings, but it cannot be classified as a psychedelic because it does not fit the criteria of which the precedent, as mentioned above, is LSD.

For me, MDMA (as well as Methylone (and analogues), and 4-FA) are simply stimulants that work on the emotions rather than on thought. I find that MDMA does to my feelings EXACTLY what amphetamines do to my intellect (and on a personal note, both end up with a feeling of being cheated, but thats another story).

On the other hand, AMT, MDA and (arguably) some of the 2Cs, although posessing empathogenic and entactogenic properties, are most definitely psychedelic.

So my answer is a solid ABSOLUTELY NOT.

EDIT: Re. MMDA and 2C-T-21

I never tried MMDA, but from its description it fits very well with the "emotional stimulant" category I class MDMA in. 2C-T-21 is a powerful psychedelic at high doses, but in lower doses it is not (the same way a low-dose of LSD is not psychedelic).

Last edited:
I've gotten intense acid like visuals on MDMA, and ketamine... consider them both to be very psychedelic.

i voted for yes, since MDMA does possess some activity at 5-HT2A and although these effects are almost neglegible except in high doses, it is still classical psychedelic activity. actually it was MDMA (and MDA) that got me interested in psychedelics..

Yes i consider it psychedelic. It is not usually hallucinogenic however, although it does produce weird dream/daydreaming states of mind.

Ugster said:
I've gotten intense acid like visuals on MDMA, and ketamine... consider them both to be very psychedelic.
I got acid-like visuals during a hypoglycemic attack, and that certainly is not enough to make hypoglycemia psychedelic ;)

I consider it psychedelic-esque but not psychedelic in the traditional sense, no.

Semi-psychedelic I guess, since it can reveal quite a lot about one's inner self.
However it seems its action is far more predictable as it almost 'locks' you in certain mindstates/feelings.

A lot of people seem to associate psychedelia with visuals, which is not that accurate.

^ Deep introspection would be my definition

^ hey cutie, you're trolling the fuck out of this forum!

in a good way! =D

huggles,
samadhi

It is definitely a psychedelic. I find it can be deeply introspective, as with most psychedelics.

It also opens me up emotionally in a similar way to other psychedelics, but MDMA is much stronger in that aspect.

It can be quite visual. Having only used it 4 times, once in combo with HBWR, I can't guess how often it produces strong visuals. The visuals were pretty strong one of the three times I tried it on its own. The headspace was more like my 2c-b trip than it was like the other MDMA experiences. It was mentally more intense than 2c-b. That was with a pretty low dose, about 50mg plugged if I remember correctly. I don't know what caused it to be so strong. I sure wasn't expecting it, and I was a bit scared for a few minutes.

i voted for yes. in my experience it most definitely changes my outlook on life and gives me the ability to take a step back and look at my life and the way things are going. plus there have been quite a few times i get OEV on higher doses

MDMA is psychedelic in its own right. It isn't psychedelic like more traditional psychedelics like LSD and 'shrooms are, but if you sit down and talk to a good friend for awhile, you can really learn a lot about yourself. That, in my opinion, makes it a psychedelic in its own way.

i suppose i would consider in a psychedelic (since empathogenic isn't an option in this poll)... i really don't find it to be of any value in my case, though. i also dislike the side effects & neurotoxicity.

samadhi_smiles said:
but you can learn a lot from talking with friends sober right?

Well, yeah. The thing is MDMA has a remarkable ability to shatter emotional barriers, including ones you've set up against yourself which is why it can help you learn about yourself.

yes, I agree with you totally. But the same can happen on a dose of amphetamine or cathinone or even a strong cup of coffee. But, I would hesitate to call something a psychedelic just because it put you more in touch with yourself and your emotions.

For me psychedelics are very special drugs, they carry a certain phenomenology (experiential state) that is unique to their mechanism of action (5HT2a activation).

Psychedelic = mind-manifesting. MDMA certainly enables you to explore your mind, so I think that it fits the definition of the word.