• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Do other drugs deplenish serotonin?

mapleleaf

Bluelighter
The reason Im asking this is because for an upcoming rave Im going to, I want to trip on shrooms and smoke a lot of weed during the day, then at night go to a rave and roll. My question is, will the amount of serotonin in my brain be lowered by taking the shrooms and marijuana earlier in the day? I know they act on serotonin cells but Im not sure if they release serotonin.

A related question preferably for bigger guys. Im 6'2 180 pounds and there have been many occasions where my friends, who are more or less close to my weight, not height though, take the same amount and type of pills than me and always end up rolling way harder than me. Im not taking any Antidepressants or any medications for that matter. Could it be my height that is affecting this?
=D thanks in advance guys.

You should be fine, I'm in the same weight/height category as you are, and recently I ate a few grams of shrooms and smoked out before rolling later in the night. The roll was great, albeit not as long as it usually was, so I might suggest taking a small portion more?

Well Im not worried about my health I know Ill be fine. I just want to know if drugs such as shrooms or marijuana deplete serotonin levels.

No, they don't. There is very limited evidence that MDMA "depletes" serotonin in humans.

BilZ0r said:
No, they don't. There is very limited evidence that MDMA "depletes" serotonin in humans.
Well, did you get the jist of my question? Will serotonin levels be lowered as a result of using marijuana and shrooms?

BilZ0r said:
As I said, no they don't.
Ok thanks, in your first post you were talking about MDMA so I still wasnt sure about the shrooms, marijuana etc.
But.. I do know that shrooms, and such psychedlics, act on serotonin receptors, how do they do that?

Having used weed for quite some time, there are some mornings when I wake up with the worst feeling ever.. its like a comedown from having pilled the night before, except that I havent taken any, only weed. I would tend to think that weed can reduce seratonin levels but thats over an extended amount of time, and on copious amounts.

You'll be fine. This question could have been answered by reading up each individual drug on Erowid but yeah, they don't deplete your serotonin.

mapleleaf said:
Ok thanks, in your first post you were talking about MDMA so I still wasnt sure about the shrooms, marijuana etc.
But.. I do know that shrooms, and such psychedlics, act on serotonin receptors, how do they do that?

Psychedelics are agonists to certain serotonin receptors, basically they pretend to be serotonin.

The chemical in mushrooms, psilocin, as bigmac said, is an agonist of certain serotonin receptors, that is, it binds to and activates them. Cannabis on the other hand, activates cannabinoid receptors in the brain. This has complex effects, and leads to an increase in serotonin release.

deplenish ain't a word
It's not in the dictionaries yet, but it sure is a word.

Do agonists cause downgrading of serotonin receptors, or does it take the actual serotonin molecule to cause downregulation?

I think this is probably at the crux of what the OP is asking, if not the exact question.

^ They both can.

As I think people have said, MDMA is vaguely cross tolerant with mushrooms.

BilZ0r said:
WTF ??? are you for real ? I would love to think what you said is true but thats not the general consensus.And what do you believe causes tolerance then ?.

Hey im not flaming just surprised with that statement.

muthrd said:
And what do you believe causes tolerance then ?.

Temporary deactivation of the receptors is more likely than serotonin depletion. Although I don't think either has much effect on MDMA tolerance.

^ I don't care what the "general consensus" is, no one has ever measured the serotonin content of the human brain before and after MDMA.

What is know is that people taking MDMA on two consecutive nights roll more strongly, on average, on the second night [1]. Furthermore, it seems more likely that tolerance is a result of receptor and transporter downregulation.

BilZ0r said:
It's not in the dictionaries yet, but it sure is a word.

I'm pretty damn sure you are confusing 'deplete' with 'replenish' and then somehow combining the two into one word: deplenish
lmfao
cuz shit, if something is depleted,you must replenish it

^ No, I'm not confusing them, do a search in this forum for the word deplenish. It's here about 100 times, and it's in google about 3000 times. It's already in usage, and people understand what you mean when you say it. Hence, it's a word.

I'm not going to get into some lame as fuck argument about what makes a word, a word. English dictionaries get their entries from words found in common usage, not the other way around. Hence ginormous is a word, googled is a word, and either right now, or pretty soon, deplenish will be a word.