• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [DMT Subthread] N,N-DMT vs. 5-MeO-DMT

I disagree. Technically you are absolutely right of course, but when we are keeping in mind all users that do not know chemistry or its nomenclature, is it not harmless simplification to in a way pretend that that is the case: that they are opposites? N,N-DMT and 5-MeO-DMT are the two most common in the 'DMT family', ignoring the 4-substituted ones for now since they are used quite differently (usually not smoked, not a short duration). For some reason occasionally people may call 5-MeO-DMT "DMT", for example when it is the only simple dialkyltryptamine they have ever used and they actually mean "the DMT" as in "the compound belonging to the family of DMT analogues". That is why I think it is best that whenever N,N-DMT and 5-MeO-DMT are involved, the N,N is used to confirm that the unsubstituted DMT is meant. This works because people don't say 5-MeO-N,N-DMT often at all, virtually never.
So I'd rather keep it clear which compound is meant even if that means risking that people make the wrong assumption about 5-MeO-DMT not having the methyls on N,N. That is hardly a functional fact.

Perhaps it's a matter of personal opinion but after having had discussions with people about the two compounds I quickly grew tired of getting miscommunication or confusion.
Including 5-MeO-N,N-DMT in the title is also not something I'd like to do because even with a chem background it confuses me for a fraction of a second and reminds me too much of a formula like 2,N,N-TMT. Recognition is better IMO.

You're welcome to explain your own opinion about this but please consider more than perfect use of nomenclature, this is not a scientific article. Clarity for novices is important.
OK, I can understand your point.

I think the main reason people compare the two is simply the -DMT part. They are two substances, gnerally smoked, that have brief, extremely intense effects. Because they have similar letters in name, are often found together in nature and because they are often used in similar ways, people get mixed up or assume the two chemicals are related in more then name.
well, the reason that they "have the same letter in [their] name" and "are often found together in nature" is of course that they are in fact chemically closely related - the only difference in structure is the 5-MeO-substitution, that is there in 5-MeO-DMT and misses in DMT. nevertheless, they have very different effects, which are obviously caused by different pharmacology. this is called "SAR paradox", btw., see e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Structure-activity_relationship .

^I'm aware of that, but the nonclemature issue isn't based on chemical similarity but on linguistic similarity. The occaisional confusion that laypeople experience is based on the latter reasoning, and adding 'n,n' to the term 5-MeO-DMT in this threads title will make things more confusing. (of course, the linguistic similarity is caused by the chemical similarity...Now that just got confusing...;))

I think the main reason people compare the two is simply the -DMT part. They are two substances, gnerally smoked, that have brief, extremely intense effects. Because they have similar letters in name, are often found together in nature and because they are often used in similar ways, people get mixed up or assume the two chemicals are related in more then name.

When I think of DMT, I get a beautiful wistful sensation; DMT seems gentle and comfortable. 5-MeO-DMT makes me think about fire and chaos.

But they are related in more than name.

^Yes, I know they are; read the post above your own. What I meant was that most lay-people will associate DMT with 5-MeO-DMT, going as far as to confuse the two, based on the linguistic similarity of each name, whereas the effects are so broadly different as to be beyond comparison. Despite the chemical relationship (which determines the name), the two substances are very different in the main way that we on Bluelight discuss them (mental effects).

I've heard so many mixed things about N,N DMT and 5-MeO-DMT and I don't know what to think. I've done a lot of research on "DMT", but I feel like people often substitute the name "DMT" for either of the two when both are quite obviously different entities. Anyway, I'm new to this site and I just got some DMT today, but I don't know what kind it is. It came in a vial and is white and powdery, almost like white sand. I've never seen cocaine in person, but it almost looks like what I imagine it would look like. I could post a picture if that would help, but I desperately want to know what kind it is. I paid -snip- for 100mg.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no way we can tell you what you have and ID post aren't allowed because of that, I think.

Price discussion and ID discussion are not allowed here on Bluelight. As you said, white powder is what cocaine looks like, and 2C-B, and DOC, and 2C-E, and LSD, and Methoxetamine, and DMT, and pretty much any chemical under the sun when it is relatively pure. We cannot identify a chemical by how it looks.

You may have some luck with marquis/reagent kits, though I'm not sure if you can differentiate between DMT and 5-MeO-DMT with them, maybe, maybe not.

Your best bet would be to send some/all of the sample off to a lab for analysis. Or to ask the person you got it on whether it is N,N-DMT or 5-MeO-DMT (if you can trust them). If it is sold as "DMT", it should be N,N-DMT.

i've had the two pretty reguraly and i dont notice any difference between them, i have always thoroughly enjoyed both. DMT is my fave Psychdelic even mixed with lsd

i've had the two pretty reguraly and i dont notice any difference between them, i have always thoroughly enjoyed both.

That's odd... (n,n,)DMT is far more visual than 5-MeO-DMT. Also dosages are quite different, with a dose of 5-MeO being about 1/5 or less than that of (n,n,)DMT.

For me, 5-MeO-DMT is the deeper and more introspective of the two, although I prefer the taste of n,n,DMT.

Ive always heard of people saying that 5-meo-dmt is a very dark and strange drug compared to nn-dmt. I myself have never tried 5-meo-dmt myself only proper nn-dmt which ive had in all different appearances but all the same drug. Ive had white to off-white in colour,yellow to orange and some can be powdery and some can be in crystally powder or just crystal form.

I find the yellow crystally powder or crystal the best personally the white stuff always just sort of over blows you away and i can never remember what happened very shortly after the trip compared to the yellow were it is much easier to remember and seems more visual and euphoric, also longer lasting with a nice afterglow

never had 5-meo-dmt have been told its nasty and no where near what n, n dmt is - so id say from my readings to get the n, n dmt or nothing at all.

I wouldn't say that one is better than the other. They are both pretty phenomenal. I do believe it is easier to binge with n,n DMT. The 5-MEO is very strong. The breakthrough is more intense than an n,n dmt breakthrough, in my opinion. They are completely different experiences. Although I prefer n,n, I do believe the 5-meo is worth checking out, for anyone who is interested in dmt. Probably should do the n,n first though. The 5-MEO may scare you,

5-MEO reminds of a k-hole.... at least the getting there part. The way i begin to dissociate. IT is much faster with 5-meo than k though. Again, the trips from each of these chems is very different.

I feel like the k-hole is the inbetween trip land in comparing the DMTs. With 5-MEO everything gets sucked into this compact, ultimate oneness. With n,n my self encounters every single being and piece of energy there possibly could be... traveling far past the speed of light... and all the same, it isn't very dizzying. And I feel as though I get a ton of time to see everything. Sometimes, it can be overwhelming. With K, everything sort of dissociates and becomes a oneness, but from that oneness patterns emerge. I get stuck in each pattern, unable to get out of it. I slowly become part of a new pattern. I sorta feel like I am in a bunch of shifting universe getting pulled into one and dropped into another, my ego always slipping and coming back to view. K is kinda like nitrous. It is a reset button... only K is a way longer reset.

Sorry to get off the dmt topic. I feel like these type of experiences all relate because they dissociate you. I believe high dose psychedelics can dissociate you as well.... but that's another story. Salvia has the type of overall experience as the DMTs and K, too. By experience, I meaning the process of doing some drug, and being dissociated from reality, but finding a way back as the drug wears off. I feel like most my psychedelic trips with 2cs, acid usually keep me within the confines of my normal day to day reality. These other drugs though can transport into a bigger (or simpler) reality. Truly amazing stuff.

I haven't done 5-meo-dmt in 4 years. I really wanna try it again. I got some, but am afraid to do it. Last time I did it, it was very intense. I am excited, and just waiting for a good moment. I gotta pick my placement too. Maybe I'll do it in the woods.

Peace

Ive always heard of people saying that 5-meo-dmt is a very dark and strange drug compared to nn-dmt. I myself have never tried 5-meo-dmt myself only proper nn-dmt which ive had in all different appearances but all the same drug. Ive had white to off-white in colour,yellow to orange and some can be powdery and some can be in crystally powder or just crystal form.

I find the yellow crystally powder or crystal the best personally the white stuff always just sort of over blows you away and i can never remember what happened very shortly after the trip compared to the yellow were it is much easier to remember and seems more visual and euphoric, also longer lasting with a nice afterglow

Thought this too to be honest! But I'm only experienced with n,n-dmt. Mainly because on Erowid or somewhere I read about 5-meo carrying some weird long-term side effects for people sensitive to the dosing. With DMT I've heard nothing even remotely similar. I'm much more into my 'classic' drugs though so that's also possibly why.

DMT is more visual in the classic sense, even though the visuals are far from classic. 5-meo-dmt is more instantly ego killing in the classic sense. DMT is a lot easier on the body and mind as a whole from my experience. 5-meo-dmt is strait static TV at times. I love them both but DMT is definitely favored by many for a reason.