• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Tryptamines [DMT Extraction Subthread] Which tek should you use?

Trogdor said:
have you ever handled dmt powder? at room temp it sticks to everything but itself. the larger the crystals, the easier it is to work with.

Hmm, thanks for the response, Trogdor...I can understand this.

I guess I didn't find this property to be limiting (but then again the sample may not of been ultra pure).

Peace.

^^ and to get rid of more impurities to make it more easily smoked

Well, impurities WERE the reason I didn't smoke it; ate it instead.

Seeking purity: wash THEN recrystalize?

I was excited when I saw this thread... then I read the instructions... I just have a feeling that my friends and I would fuck something up. This is my only option though as I have looked for DMT for over a year and had no luck.

This is marsofold's technique.

The newest (arguably easiest) TEK is Lycaeum thread Sphere's TEK. Also Followup thread

This uses 1.5 pounds of sodium hydroxide to 1 pound of rootbark and 750ml of naptha repeated three times. That is a waste of sodium hydroxide and naptha.

Also, it says to have vinegar to neutralize spills. That is stupid, if you're doing this there should be zero spills or you're being dangerous. This reminds me, don't even think of trying this kind of stuff without proper safety equipment. Neoprene or nitrile gloves are essential here.

Also, extremely basic solutions will etch things like glass jars. You should buy HDPE jugs if you're going to make this a regular hobby or just don't want to risk a glass jar breaking and spilling stuff on you.

Kul69 said:
This is marsofold's technique.

This uses 1.5 pounds of sodium hydroxide to 1 pound of rootbark and 750ml of naptha repeated three times. That is a waste of sodium hydroxide and naptha.

Also, it says to have vinegar to neutralize spills. That is stupid, if you're doing this there should be zero spills or you're being dangerous. This reminds me, don't even think of trying this kind of stuff without proper safety equipment. Neoprene or nitrile gloves are essential here.

Also, extremely basic solutions will etch things like glass jars. You should buy HDPE jugs if you're going to make this a regular hobby or just don't want to risk a glass jar breaking and spilling stuff on you.

There should be a safety thread because I'm sure alot of people (some friend of mine included) have no idea what they are doing. I mean, some friend of mine is going to be trying this and doesn't even know the proper way of getting a thing out of one container and into another. Suppose at some point Lye does spill all over the place, what do you do? How do you dispose of the chemicals?

Well, don't start the preparation naked save for your Y-fronts.

Make sure you're wearing some chemical resistant gloves and take everything slowly. If you splash lye on yourself wash it off as quickly as you can.

And if you're handling strong acids like HCL take care when you take the top off the bottle as a big cloud of acid will come off it and breathing that isn't too sweet. Try and make sure you've got plenty of air circulating when you're mixing non-polar solvents and acids as otherwise you'll get a headache.

Dispose of the chemicals by dumping them in sand and then dropping them off at the local waste disposal site.

wykydtron said:
There should be a safety thread because I'm sure alot of people (some friend of mine included) have no idea what they are doing. I mean, some friend of mine is going to be trying this and doesn't even know the proper way of getting a thing out of one container and into another. Suppose at some point Lye does spill all over the place, what do you do? How do you dispose of the chemicals?

But we're not a chemistry site. If you are looking for lab procedure and/or theory, you will find that kind of information in chemistry textbooks and university websites. Chemistry is not the type of thing that can just be taught in a message board thread. If you are handling lye and have no clue what to do when it gets on you, only one word comes to mind: Darwinism.

Don't touch that which you do not understand. Be careful, be safe, and if you start melting, call your local poison control office or 9-1-1.

Yes, the marsofold tek rocks. If your careful and take your time you can get very high yeilds and a clean product without much need for washing it.

Yeah, Marsofold's procedure works very well... freezer precipitation is definitely the way to go. The pope made a pictorial of the procedure, but this forum software doesn't allow thumbnails to be posted so he couldn't make a thread for it.... it's on DF though. What TEK says to use 1.5Kg of NaOH per LB of MHRB? That's insane overkill and will just leave the extractor with a ton of sodium acetate and unreacted NaOH.

DrugPhreak said:
What TEK says to use 1.5Kg of NaOH per LB of MHRB? That's insane overkill and will just leave the extractor with a ton of sodium acetate and unreacted NaOH.
post #5 in this thread

Oh... it seems like it would use ~750gm of NaOH for an LB though, which is still way too much. We are talking about lye lock to hell and back etc. Also, extracting into dilute acid first allows for a much cleaner extraction. I knew the pope was a child molester, but I didn't know he extracted DMT also... lol.

Where are you guys getting this info about the marsofold tek?I posted the tek in this thread and I don't see how some of you can claim to have read it.It says to use 70 grams of lye.NOT 1.5 pounds.NOT 750 grams.70 Grams.That is about 5 tablespoons.Now for the naptha you only use 300ml for the whole 1 pound extraction.You do 3 100ml puuls with the naptha.You can use more than that if you want buut you will have to evaporate it down a little bit before you freeze precipitate it.

I think everyone is getting the tried and true Marsofold tek reposted by Spacehippie on the first page and the latest base only Sphere's TEK I mentioned.

Marsofold: 70g lye for ~450g bark
Sphere: 75g lye for 50g bark

So apples to apples, Sphere TEK would call for a whopping 675g of lye for the same 450g of bark which is crazy. It does not make sense, how could it take more base to bring water at PH 7 (Sphere TEK) than bringing up water/acid at less than PH 7 (Marsofold TEK)? I would think it would take less on the Sphere TEK if the goal was to bring the final PHs of either TEK to the same level in preparation for the Naptha pulls.

Marsofold TEK or minor variations so far has held up as the best TEK in numerous message boards. The freeze-precipitation and washes have been the newest additions to the TEK. Besides ammonia, other people have tried baked magnesium sulphate (Epsom salts). Entheogen forum MHRB TEK thread 30 pages worth of comments including from Marsofold himself.

Also, batted around is using xylene for defat instead of naptha, although most people and TEKs skip defat with MHRB.

Bottom line, alot of people have had success with the Marsofold TEK.

Yes the marsofold tek always works great for me.I have seen sphere's tek phere's recently in couple places.Sphere's tek sounds easy although I have never tried it.I'm waiting to see what kind of yield people get from it before I try it.

This is not the dmt i expected

I extracted the dmt from the mimosa hostillis exactly as the so called fantastic method described. And i know how to smoke it well from an oil burner but i am not getting the fabulous dmt experiancd i had hoped for. I get comfortable and experiance a little pattern movement when i close my eyes but nothing spetacular. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHY!?
Thanks

I've had great success with Noman's tek.

http://wiki.dmt-nexus.com/Noman's_tek

That said, it's not about blindly following instruction, it's about using them to gain some insight into the process and then adapt it to your requirements.

[EDIT]
Dillthedanker - The naphtha pull separates the DMT and many other alkaloids from the NaOH solution, what I'm finding it hard to grasp about your problem, is that you say the freeze precip works fine? The "DMT" crystals form in a timly manner that corresponds with the literature? What colour is the resulting powder, is it mainly crystalline?

If you've managed to do a successful freeze precip and then end up with decent looking crystals, then the extraction has worked perfectly. If you fuck the process up you end up with sludge, not crystals.

Are you sure the root bark is of good quality? Is it definitly mimosa hostillis? I suppose it could be another alkaloid from a similar plant.

But yeah, its a headfuck, wanna give us a little more to go on than "It won't work!"?

Last edited:
Ok thank you for your quick respose and entity to help. Ill be as specific as i can... Here it goes!
Im positive the root bark is pure. I bought my 1 pound of root bark from this website *snip* I did the process how described and even used the tips in this forum to do it better. The crystalization part worked fine in the freezer. little baby crystals were stuck all the way around the jar and on the bottom. (They are supposed to look like little crystals about 5 times the size of salt grains right?) after 3 days i shook the naptha and followed the rest of the directions and ended up with something that looked like meth or cocaine. When smoked it tastes like.. burnt plastic as I have been warned. I try to take as many hits as I can before I lose my motor functions but when i finally do i lay back feeling comfortable but there are very little or no visual effects. It lasts about two minutes everytime ive tried. I dont feel im in another dimension/world.... I dont feel like anything I expected to feel. Does this help? Do you know whats wrong with my dmt??

Last edited by a moderator:
You know I just clicked the link you posted

http://wiki.dmt-nexus.com/Noman's_tek

And I just realized, that is not the method I used. I used the original method with the use of wine just and glass container and all that. I also washed my crystals with amonia. Now this could be where I messed up... I still have my second pull in the freezer so should I not wash with amonia?