Did you drop out of highschool?

uTranceMe said:
DocHoliday , Im assuming your still at the same company you started at 9 years ago. If thats true then you have worked your way up right ? So without the actual diploma or whatever do you think you would have much luck applying for similar positions ? Im just curious. I know people that are skilled enough to do a certain job , due to their years of experience but have trouble finding work since they never went to college to get the qualifications.

I'm on my fifth job in the industry.

First was a super entry level position which I then worked my way up over three years to running their network. Nothing huge, maybe a 100 user company with finanicals, shipping/receiving and manufacturing apps.

Second was a year or so stint as a consultant being farmed out by a company. (this was crap, hated it)

Third was a year or so as a contractor upgrading one company's regional offices.

Fourth was at an application service provider which gave me tonnes of experience with large scale data centre work, which led me to...

Current job architecting shared hosting infrastructures for this telco. I started out as a senior sysadmin and have 'officialy' been an architect for about a year.

I don't find it that hard getting new jobs, especially lately. The work I do is much more involved than any education would provide, so my resume speaks for itself when I list my accomplishments.

Where I might find a problem is if I ever wanted to change my focus from the strictly technical side to more of a director level position or something in product management.

It probably also depends what city you're in. Being in a big metropolitan area when you deal with systems is a big help.

I had a friend who dropped out one month before the end of his senior year. He probably got his GED, but still....after nearly 12 years of public school and only 20-something school days left? WTF?
🙄

i dropped out in eleventh grade. i was having trouble learning a foreign language and passing algebra. i would've needed to pass both classes to graduate and that wasn't really happening.

i got my GED though. there wasn't too much algebra on the test and i managed to do pretty well on the english part... i even tried a semester of community college after thinking maybe the math teachers would be better and i could learn algebra. i couldn't understand it at all though.

i dropped out in eleventh grade. i was having trouble learning a foreign language and passing algebra. i would've needed to pass both classes to graduate and that wasn't really happening.

i got my GED though. there wasn't too much algebra on the test and i managed to do pretty well on the english part... i even tried a semester of community college after thinking maybe the math teachers would be better and i could learn algebra. i couldn't understand it at all though.

Same, I have dyscalculia.. and isnt a pain until you need to acknoledge the intensity it has over a simple action just then you know how "small" you're. I was with math, chemistry and psychis..

Is easy as a teacher to take a pill memorize 2 sentence and call yourself a machine of authority brain center but as a student you as who is your actual prefect knows that school has 0 mechanical moral attributes.

• Heart
Reactions: CFC
Did not drop out was kicked out of school for fighting and only going to small engine repair class first class then leaving .
Had to go to continuation school which was only 3 hours and you made your own credits on your own work after 2 years i turned 18 on Saturday and on Monday the principal called me in said in 2 years you have only made a few credits we don't have to keep you here you will have to leaver and do a GED

• Sad
I effectively left school at 15 after getting expelled

I then took a year out (illegally), intending to go back into education

But, that year turned into over a decade! Nevermind, it was quite the party.

It sucks that wherever you are you have to pass those things just to graduate, as if the ability to learn or understand something like algebra is a pivotal benchmark of achievement, even if you're perfectly capable of other things.

I despise education systems that are structured and penalize in that way - they were designed by genuinely dumb people. The human race is a smorgasbord of talents and abilities, and those are what a good system should nourish.

Did not drop out was kicked out of school for fighting and only going to small engine repair class first class then leaving .
Had to go to continuation school which was only 3 hours and you made your own credits on your own work after 2 years i turned 18 on Saturday and on Monday the principal called me in said in 2 years you have only made a few credits we don't have to keep you here you will have to leaver and do a GED

Seems like another example of a teacher who has no right or aptitude to teach. Did you manage to get your GED?

Seems like another example of a teacher who has no right or aptitude to teach. Did you manage to get your GED?
Did not went home that day told parents old man beat the shit out of me next day he said to me if i want to get GED they back me but if not start driving truck for his company so at 18 got my class a but could only drive truck within California had to wait until 21 to drive truck out of state .
Always wanted to get GED but at 22 i got kicked out of home with less then 30 dollars to my name because i wanted to marry my white highschool sweetheart . The cunt owed me for 4 years of driving a truck over 150 000 dollars then had to just work while she finished college. Its a big regret i did well in business in UK but now wife and kids back in US and the kids getting older everytime i tell my son you have to study so he seems to reply you not got High school diploma . He don't mean it in a bad way but i worry for my kids with all the addiction on the male side of my family and how education is something no one can ever take from you

Did not went home that day told parents old man beat the shit out of me next day he said to me if i want to get GED they back me but if not start driving truck for his company so at 18 got my class a but could only drive truck within California had to wait until 21 to drive truck out of state .
Always wanted to get GED but at 22 i got kicked out of home with less then 30 dollars to my name because i wanted to marry my white highschool sweetheart . The cunt owed me for 4 years of driving a truck over 150 000 dollars then had to just work while she finished college. Its a big regret i did well in business in UK but now wife and kids back in US and the kids getting older everytime i tell my son you have to study so he seems to reply you not got High school diploma . He don't mean it in a bad way but i worry for my kids with all the addiction on the male side of my family and how education is something no one can ever take from you

Yeah I remember your Dad, nasty piece of work by the sounds of it, glad you survived him <3

My advice would be don't stress the formal education bit to your kids if they really don't want it. Just support, love and validate them whatever they do - this is always the best route. Real learning never stops in life, and it also rarely takes a linear route - someone who doesn't have any interest when younger may develop a real passion for something later in life. But still, life is about so much more than school, and (within reason) shouldn't really dominate a child's life as much as it does (and I say that as a teacher lol).

Yeah I remember your Dad, nasty piece of work by the sounds of it, glad you survived him <3

My advice would be don't stress the formal education bit to your kids if they really don't want it. Just support, love and validate them whatever they do - this is always the best route. Real learning never stops in life, and it also rarely takes a linear route - someone who doesn't have any interest when younger may develop a real passion for something later in life. But still, life is about so much more than school, and (within reason) shouldn't really dominate a child's life as much as it does (and I say that as a teacher lol).
He was a cunt once in India my dads mom had gone crazy she was a bitch me and my middle brother we alone with her and we calling her a cunt i was ten brother 13 the old man heard us he coming running in i got away he locked doors. Started beating my brother my mom trying to get door opened can still hear the punches and screams of my brother she then ran out got next door neighbours 5 men had to break the door down pull that cunt off my brother . He had to go hospital broken jaw nose ribs the rib had punctured his lung my grandad kept us with him in Punjab for year told the cunt you will kill one of grandson .

I take those beating because made me a better father always would say after beating when i have kids ill never touch them and i never have . I got 3 girls and one boy the girls study hard my boy his mom saw him stoned 13 when i started getting high weed i know most kids try but don't want him be decades of hard drugs like me had hoped if i give them all they need most importantly love from me which i never did from the cunt i might stop them needing an escape . All i can do is tell them i want them to be happy marry who you want color nothing like that matters to me and your mom's door always open for you

Believe it or not, I quit high school in my sophomore year with high honors (straight A+ average) because I just couldn't handle the bullying. I was 103 lbs., extremely awkward, had a lisp, severe acne and a crippling stutter.

There was a group of jocks who planned on dragging me under the bleachers and beating me to a pulp.

Shortly after I left, their "ringleader" was arrested for stabbing someone in the neck and almost killing the guy, so the threat was real.

I don't regret leaving though. In 10 years I worked my way up from peeling potatoes to being a corporate administrator. All it takes is one employer to recognize your potential. They're just hard to come by.

I did, but 6 months later realized the potential consequences and enrolled in the alternative high school and graduated. Now have a college degree too.

I quit high school when i was about 17 as i hated that dump. Don't regret it really as these days high school is pretty redundant

1994 Augusta Prep
-Salutatorian
-STAR Student

750 Verbal, 800 Math
4 in AP US History
4 In AP English
5 in AP Calculus AB
5 in AP Physics AB

680 US History
680 Physics
790 Math 2
720 Biology