• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Dexamphetamine withdrawal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dj_esky

Bluelighter
I have been a long time user of dexamphetamine. I now have been 2 weeks off it and i'm finding it extremely hard to cope with everyday situations. I've moved back in with my parents for the first week so they could keep an eye on me, it doesn't help that my mum doesn't understand the concept of withdrawal. Its hell. I'm getting migrane headaches, i'm sweating heaps and its winter. Mood swings is one new thing i have to control. I've put on so much weight. Its so hard concentrating on the simplest tasks. I've been taking dexamphetamine since 1992.

I'm considering getting off them for good.

Whats the best way to achieve this?

I've also noticed an increase in open eye visuals, shadow people. Its freaking me out.

- why were you taking dex?
- what activities did you do while on dex?
- what dosage?
- was it every day or like, once every 3 days?
- your age

are you able to get off of it slower, stepping down the dose over time?

I had an adderall w/d a few months ago and i could not get out of bed or do anything. It was awful. I had to get back on adderall and wean off, which actually wasn't that difficult (compared to heroin for me). Now i only have a heroin and cigarette problem. Lol.

I'd HIGHLY recommend lowering your daily intake of Dexedrine very slowly. Like, if you take 80mg a day on average, just to throw a number out there, maybe try going down to like 65mg a day for a few weeks, then 50mg for a few weeks, etc. Most doctors would encourage you to lower your dosage much more & much faster, but most doctors I've talked to also deny that withdrawal with Amphetamine medications even exists, which is TOTAL bullshit.

Don't go off it "cold-turkey" or whatever, unless your daily dosage is like... lower than 40mg maybe?

That's why I asked those questions...because if he was using 60mg 2ce a week to score sex...lowering the dosage gradually won't do shit...^_^ depends what he did with the drug...obviously if he's too shy to tell we won't be able to help him.

Take DXM for a couple weeks while slowly reducing your dose. It will make the withdrawl a little easier as it will lower your tolerance a bit. Also DXM is best taken before you go to bed as it take away some cognitive ability and make you sleepy.

Take about 100mg a night.

Also magnesium and l-tyrosine should also help but they didn't do much for me accept make me feel more jittery.

If you're taking dex for 18 years you're gonna feel like shit for some time even if you taper.

Most doctors would encourage you to lower your dosage much more & much faster, but most doctors I've talked to also deny that withdrawal with Amphetamine medications even exists, which is TOTAL bullshit.
just to clarify...

nearly any drug can have rebound/withdrawal, but stimulant withdrawal is not physiologically dangerous. it's all in the head basically. which is why it's sometimes considered "non withdrawal inducing" even if still considered "habit forming". the "sickness" that leads back to it is more subtle, more mental than somatic, etc

not to downplay the withdrawal. it should be called withdrawal and mental fatigue/depression/etc can be as debilitating (especially if chronic) as physical sickness

i also agree, when a doctor is doing a taper, they may not often enough rely on the user's subjective experience of how distressing/disruptive the withdrawal is, and go too fast. most US dr's go way too fast at benzo clinics for example (few - six weeks, sometimes cold turkey with lyrica substitute)

i'm on 5mg tablets

i started on 3 per day back in 1992,
in 1996 i was put up to 4 per day,
2003 i was put up again to 5 per day and have been taking that since.

I was taking Dexamphetamine every day to treat ADHD,
at the moment i'm getting crazy migraine headaches, and it seems nothing can get rid of them. everytime someone tries to talk to me i end up starting a fight.
my parents think i'm high on something else.

Last edited:
i'm on 5mg tablets

i started on 3 per day back in 1992,
in 1996 i was put up to 4 per day,
2003 i was put up again to 5 per day and have been taking that since.

I was taking Dexamphetamine every day to treat ADHD,
at the moment i'm getting crazy migraine headaches, and it seems nothing can get rid of them. everytime someone tries to talk to me i end up starting a fight.
my parents think i'm high on something else.

Wtf I can't figure this shit out seriously? How old are you and wtf are you doing at your parents?

That's why I asked those questions...because if he was using 60mg 2ce a week to score sex...lowering the dosage gradually won't do shit...^_^ depends what he did with the drug...obviously if he's too shy to tell we won't be able to help him.

is it common to get prescribed adderall for some sexual purpose? it can definitely increase your libido i guess, and maybe help you perform better, but i've noticed you mention it a lot, so i'm guessing it must happen somewhere. had no idea that was a valid reason to get on the drug, interesting.

OP, depending on what your daily responsibilities entail, i really don't think it should be necessary to taper down off of adderall. i know it sucks to just stop when you're used to taking it every day, but you really shouldn't be experiencing any sort of serious physical illness really, mainly just extreme fatigue, lack of motivation, trouble focusing, etc. imo, tapers are more necessary w/ drugs like benzos, alcohol, and opiates (depending on the severity of the w/d). i have been prescribed either ritalin or adderall for adhd daily since 1993, and besides the symptoms i just noted, i have never experienced anything much physically when i have taken breaks. not to make light of your situation at all, but from firsthand experience, it definitely pales in comparison to some w/ds, especially benzos

is it common to get prescribed adderall for some sexual purpose? it can definitely increase your libido i guess, and maybe help you perform better, but i've noticed you mention it a lot, so i'm guessing it must happen somewhere. had no idea that was a valid reason to get on the drug, interesting.

OP, depending on what your daily responsibilities entail, i really don't think it should be necessary to taper down off of adderall. i know it sucks to just stop when you're used to taking it every day, but you really shouldn't be experiencing any sort of serious physical illness really, mainly just extreme fatigue, lack of motivation, trouble focusing, etc. imo, tapers are more necessary w/ drugs like benzos, alcohol, and opiates (depending on the severity of the w/d). i have been prescribed either ritalin or adderall for adhd daily since 1993, and besides the symptoms i just noted, i have never experienced anything much physically when i have taken breaks. not to make light of your situation at all, but from firsthand experience, it definitely pales in comparison to some w/ds, especially benzos

NO!

Sex is the only recreational activity you can do on d-amphetamine. I don't know if you've tried it but when you take it it's a dull sensation of stress, it makes you tense, awake and, like MDMA, it increases body temperature. Things that would normally bore you to death all of a sudden seem fun and interesting, for example studying.

The drug may give you a certain well-being or self confidence to some point but compared to what recreational oxy would do, it's not even 1/10. Doing higher doses almost seems like wasting your brain for nothing...it's a dull high, pleasure less, like, your heart is racing, you feel warm and that's it, nothing more. The only way to make ANYTHING recreational with this drug is to associate it with an activity.

And again, this is not like MDMA...MDMA by itself can give you a certain euphoria, d-amphetamine you don't notice that same rush at all. And even with MDMA...most users are on the dance floor dancing so they have to associate the drug with some activity...

These drugs are not like heroin. With heroin, nothing else matters, it's just you and the heroin. Nothing else nor an input of any kind is needed to reach a high. d-amphetamine, you really need to be creative to actually pull something off it...its really hard and takes years of use do derive any recreational activity.

ha, i didn't think so, but i've noticed you mention sex and amphetamine together in a few posts, so i thought doctors might be prescribing it for that off-label or something.

i think the "sex being the only recreational thing you can do on d-amp" might be a subjective thing. i'm not really into just taking speed for the "jacked-up" feeling myself (some people definitely are), but i do find that it can help enhance other things you are doing recreationally. for instance, 1/2 the people i went to college with wouldn't have been able to make it through gamedays (serious binge drinking spells for home football games in college for those from other parts of the world) w/out some sort of upper to keep them going. so in that sense, it can really help you engage in other types of recreational activities--ha, in that example substance abuse-- w/out passing out early or acting like a moron.

for me though, i don't find that it particularly inhibits my ability to engage in any other sorts of recreation--sometimes it can enhance other activities, like you said. for instance, it can make concerts more enjoyable; it can help you get more into a movie. i think it's absolutely correct to say that associating it with an activity can make it more recreational; i just don't think that activity is limited to sex (though sex is pretty great no matter what)-- and it can make otherwise entirely dull activities seem interesting.

i personally don't think it's that similar to mdma in effects at all. i've been prescribed either adderall or ritalin daily for 17 years now, and i have probably done ecstacy a few hundred times in my life, so i think i can compare the two with a pretty good amount of firsthand experience. yes, they both make you hot, and they both make you stay awake, but the similarities pretty much end there imo. i'm not into raving or dancing or anything like that; when i was in undergrad, we used to take rolls just to go out to bars all the time and stuff like that.

i find mdma to be a pretty euphoric substance, and i don't do heroin, but w/ any other opiate i've taken--or any drug for that matter---i don't find the substance alone to create a great experience. i usually like to be doing other things when i take any drug. i know on tv it looks like opiate users just like to fall backwards and stare at the ceiling, but literally the only drugs i've taken that have created an experience that could be interesting in and of itself have been strong hallucinogens. even then, i can't imagine it would be that great to just sit around your house alone tripping.

i think it's really only once someone passes the point of recreational use of a substance that they start isolating and doing drugs alone all the time. when i first started using opiates, they made me want to go out and talk to people and enhanced other activities like most other drugs tend to for me. although it's a different high, oxy especially has some very stimulant-like properties to it. it makes you want to go out and accomplish things, gives you confidence, etc. like other drugs, it starts to have the reverse effect as you become addicted, but that's not unique to opiates.

ha, i didn't think so, but i've noticed you mention sex and amphetamine together in a few posts, so i thought doctors might be prescribing it for that off-label or something.

i think the "sex being the only recreational thing you can do on d-amp" might be a subjective thing. i'm not really into just taking speed for the "jacked-up" feeling myself (some people definitely are), but i do find that it can help enhance other things you are doing recreationally. for instance, 1/2 the people i went to college with wouldn't have been able to make it through gamedays (serious binge drinking spells for home football games in college for those from other parts of the world) w/out some sort of upper to keep them going. so in that sense, it can really help you engage in other types of recreational activities--ha, in that example substance abuse-- w/out passing out early or acting like a moron.

for me though, i don't find that it particularly inhibits my ability to engage in any other sorts of recreation--sometimes it can enhance other activities, like you said. for instance, it can make concerts more enjoyable; it can help you get more into a movie. i think it's absolutely correct to say that associating it with an activity can make it more recreational; i just don't think that activity is limited to sex (though sex is pretty great no matter what)-- and it can make otherwise entirely dull activities seem interesting.

i personally don't think it's that similar to mdma in effects at all. i've been prescribed either adderall or ritalin daily for 17 years now, and i have probably done ecstacy a few hundred times in my life, so i think i can compare the two with a pretty good amount of firsthand experience. yes, they both make you hot, and they both make you stay awake, but the similarities pretty much end there imo. i'm not into raving or dancing or anything like that; when i was in undergrad, we used to take rolls just to go out to bars all the time and stuff like that.

i find mdma to be a pretty euphoric substance, and i don't do heroin, but w/ any other opiate i've taken--or any drug for that matter---i don't find the substance alone to create a great experience. i usually like to be doing other things when i take any drug. i know on tv it looks like opiate users just like to fall backwards and stare at the ceiling, but literally the only drugs i've taken that have created an experience that could be interesting in and of itself have been strong hallucinogens. even then, i can't imagine it would be that great to just sit around your house alone tripping.

i think it's really only once someone passes the point of recreational use of a substance that they start isolating and doing drugs alone all the time. when i first started using opiates, they made me want to go out and talk to people and enhanced other activities like most other drugs tend to for me. although it's a different high, oxy especially has some very stimulant-like properties to it. it makes you want to go out and accomplish things, gives you confidence, etc. like other drugs, it starts to have the reverse effect as you become addicted, but that's not unique to opiates.

I'm a male in my 20s, never smoked anything not even second hand smoke, never drink, don't do any drugs except dex. Put it like this, I use dex to study in amounts of 10-15mg/day, 2 days a week normally and 5 days a week in exam periods. My gpa doubled ever since I use the substance. I went from 4.2 to 8.5 suddenly and it keeps rising.

Last edited:
NO!

Sex is the only recreational activity you can do on d-amphetamine. I don't know if you've tried it but when you take it it's a dull sensation of stress, it makes you tense, awake and, like MDMA, it increases body temperature. Things that would normally bore you to death all of a sudden seem fun and interesting, for example studying.

The drug may give you a certain well-being or self confidence to some point but compared to what recreational oxy would do, it's not even 1/10. Doing higher doses almost seems like wasting your brain for nothing...it's a dull high, pleasure less, like, your heart is racing, you feel warm and that's it, nothing more. The only way to make ANYTHING recreational with this drug is to associate it with an activity.

And again, this is not like MDMA...MDMA by itself can give you a certain euphoria, d-amphetamine you don't notice that same rush at all. And even with MDMA...most users are on the dance floor dancing so they have to associate the drug with some activity...

These drugs are not like heroin. With heroin, nothing else matters, it's just you and the heroin. Nothing else nor an input of any kind is needed to reach a high. d-amphetamine, you really need to be creative to actually pull something off it...its really hard and takes years of use do derive any recreational activity.

I very much disagree with you and you already know that so I won't bother to respond. :)

But yes, I agree to some extent in that opioids are more of "just you and the opioid" type drugs (though I've seen people inject heroin at parties... 8))

are your partners taking the dex as well or just you? ime, some girls enjoy sex more on uppers too

You were only on 25mg a day? Talk to a doctor about the migraines, not sure what else I can say. That's a low dose, especially for being on it that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.