• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Dexamphetamine 5mg tabs

seems like 30mg a day is the max dosage for QLD went from 80mg a day of Ritalin to 30mg's of dex
I think the only way to get it increased is to see another psychiatrist for a second opinion and then send of more paperwork, would be costly no doubt.

Same with getting diagnosed past the age of 18 and not being able to getting LA forms coverd by the PBS

i was prescribed 30mg a day in early 20s no problem. psyche just waved the age thing. Eventually I lost my script for a year or so, and actually had the "not being covered under pbs due to diagnosed as an adult" problem with fucking straterra script (LOL) for a while, was was given to me for adhd by the alco drug clinic i was in for drinking a bit too much as a substitute for losing my script (due to mad abusing it) and having no access to meth to eat either (i'd take them both orally).

fast forward to a couple months ago and i go into uni health clinic or whatever, see a psychologist (8 week wait) for 20 bucks, couple days later see one of their GP's for free who promptly gives me a referral to their visiting on and off psyche who happens to have a cancelled appointment in 30 mins; later that day I walk out with a script for 15 x 5mg = 75mg a day

I didn't ask for this dosage, and couldn't believe what was happening when he asked me how much I was using at my highest even abuse dose, then decided id work up from 8 a day to 15 a day over 2 weeks, rang up the script crew they ring then rang up the crew who monitors the system to proper approve it, talks down to the girl on the end of the line (who naturally was like uhh wtf) in a kindly condescending tone about how he's not used having his judgement questioned by those not medical professionals then does the same to her boss LOL

This is also in QLD. The max dose in the big important guide book they have apparently isn't actual law; I realised this when he said "x is the max dose in the book but we can bump you higher"

my fucking face

stay on your prescribed dose btw. dont be a fucking idiot; please don't. ill give you more explanation tomorrow

Fuck, 75mg of dex a day is a lot...

fuck oath it is. there's obviously shitloads of leeway in the system, and when a psychiatrist has been practicing for a decade or 3 he can get to the point where he's so confident enough in his own judgement that he will fuck the recommended max or min dosages off if he believes it's not best for the patient

When I first told my old psyche I'd been running through my 6 x 5 mg a day script 2 weeks early and eating meth for the remaining 2 weeks until reup (when i had access to meth; it depended on my ability to time the 2 week postage time for the <no prices> balls i was buying <snip>), he upped me to 8 x 5mg a day. Which was the best thing he could do of course (well besides upping it more) looking back, but I doubt the drug authority guys that produce and monitor the standards etc would've seen it that way lol. Eventually he ended up cutting me completely off and you can guess how that went

Last edited by a moderator:
If I'd been diagnosed with ADHD as a child I never would've abused it later on I'm absolutely sure of it. It would've been just my meds. Instead I got pure speed every month at 22 and it let me do such incredible things (I mean in stuff like study, reading, writing, learning, productivity etc) that I had to be at that level all the fucking time, and I had zero side effects to reign me in

That's what I'm warning OP about. DO NOT RUN THROUGH YOUR SCRIPT EARLY. It's the path to fucking ruin cunt. Don't become dependant on amphet; you havent needed it like you need air to get stuff done in the past but, but if you abuse it i guarantee you'll get to that point. Then you'll be useless and not functional when you dont have it, and if you do have enough all the time you'll need more and more and more as time goes on and it'll fuck you up eventually

Dude, i'll merge your posts when i have a bit of time - but rather than posting repeatedly, can you use the "edit" button if you want to add a thought to your previous post?

That's what I've always been like on fb and forums; I treat it like it's msn (always have; it's not dex haha). This may be the first forum I'll have the courtesy to write in single posts most of the time. haha

edit button is annoying on mobile. but ill try to use it more

it's really just a courtesy thing we ask of people so important information in threads doesnt become too diluted in chatter.
Here's a link to the full/desktop site
Hopfully it'll work better for you..

wish vyanese wasn't so expensive wouldn't mind trying that out.
I find Ritalin to only last a short time with a sharp peak and trough, hate it.

It's on the PBS for people diagnosed before they were 18.

I quite like it. Not as intense as the dexies - smoother up and down, don't have to remember to take extra tablets throughout the day and not as tempting to take more. Currently on the 30mg and finding it gives me good coverage. The 5mg dexies are just too drug-like for me.

Hey guys, I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster on Bluelight. I'm in my late 30's male who works in Coles stacking shelves during the night. I'm taking 4 tablets of 5mg dexamphetamine per day and I've achieved so much in a short space of time and it's working great for me so I want some more tablets to give me more coverage during the day. However, my doctor said she will NOT raise my 4 tablets of 5mg dexamphetamine per day. This medication has been a life-saver for me, but my doctor just keeps saying "No" when I ask for more... This medication has helped me turn my life around, but I feel like I'm crippled by only having such a small amount of tablets...What can I do?

I hope I'm not making too many posts, but I've tried doing EVERYTHING I can to make the Dexamphetamine 5mg tablets last longer: I've been taking calcium tablets and sodium bi-carb before I take the tablets and it helps a little, but it still doesn't last long enough.... :(

Nothing you can do really besides acquire more elsewhere. Ive never found a way to extend them that actually works

Hey guys, I'm a long-time lurker and first time poster on Bluelight. I'm in my late 30's male who works in Coles stacking shelves during the night. I'm taking 4 tablets of 5mg dexamphetamine per day and I've achieved so much in a short space of time and it's working great for me so I want some more tablets to give me more coverage during the day. However, my doctor said she will NOT raise my 4 tablets of 5mg dexamphetamine per day. This medication has been a life-saver for me, but my doctor just keeps saying "No" when I ask for more... This medication has helped me turn my life around, but I feel like I'm crippled by only having such a small amount of tablets...What can I do?

Hi NiceGuy, glad to hear you've had some success with dex. What else are you doing to combat symptoms? (I'm assuming you have ADHD?)
I have found that when it comes to treatment, having a wholistic approach is important. Relying solely on medication can be limiting. Addressing diet, sleep & exercise patterns & working on behavioural modification techniques, in conjunction with pharmacological intervention, yields the best results (in my experience).

In terms of getting the most out of your prescribed amount, one thing I can suggest is modifying your diet to make it more alkaline. An acidic diet reduces the half life of dexamphetamine, whilst an alkaline diet will increase it. Avoiding Vit C will help as this increases the rate at which dex is excreted from the body. (Conversely, it can be a good idea to consume Vit C at the end of the day to speed up the elimination of unneeded d-amp & help fight neurotoxicity). On the topic of supplementation, magnesium purportedly helps reduce the building of tolerance to amphetamines; in addition, Omega 3 (fish oil) has demonstrated efficacy in reducing ADHD symptoms. Both of the aforementioned might be worthwhile inclusions in your dosing schedule.
In terms of coverage, when do you feel you that need another dose? If it's for your shift at work, perhaps you could skip your afternoon dose and have it closer to the time you commence?

The only other thing I can think of suggesting is discussing the option of Vyvanse with your doctor. It's essentially a long acting form of dexamphetamine, and some people find it provides more even coverage.
I'm sorry that your doctor isn't willing to increase your dose. Being unmedicated is indeed very frustrating. Are you in Australia? The max daily dose is generally set at 30mg, so I'm surprised that she isn't willing to bump your prescription up by 10mg...
Anyway, I hope I haven't overwhelmed you with too much info; good luck & I hope you find a way to get the best from your medication. Any questions you have feel free to PM me. I've been prescribed dex for a few years now so have racked up a bit of experience :)

Woah, I must say I really appreciate your informative reply! My diet and sleep are great. I came across the information of keeping my diet alkaline and so I never have anything acidic like fruit juices and so on before or while I'm taking the 5mg Dex tablets. I spoke to my doctor about Vyvanse. The problem is that I can't be taking Vyvanse and the 5mg instant release Dex tablets at the same time and I did some research and it seems A LOT of people have problems with the Vyvanse not being effective at all at improving concentration. So the Vyvanse is definitely not an option.Why is the limit 30mg per day of 5mg Dex tablets by the way? I really wish there was a way I could have the medication I need... :( :( :(EDIT: I've explained to my doctor how I think my life would be much better with more dex tablets, but she still refuses an increase... :(

Woah, I must say I really appreciate your informative reply! My diet and sleep are great. I came across the information of keeping my diet alkaline and so I never have anything acidic like fruit juices and so on before or while I'm taking the 5mg Dex tablets. I spoke to my doctor about Vyvanse. The problem is that I can't be taking Vyvanse and the 5mg instant release Dex tablets at the same time and I did some research and it seems A LOT of people have problems with the Vyvanse not being effective at all at improving concentration. So the Vyvanse is definitely not an option.Why is the limit 30mg per day of 5mg Dex tablets by the way? I really wish there was a way I could have the medication I need... :( :( :(EDIT: I've explained to my doctor how I think my life would be much better with more dex tablets, but she still refuses an increase... :(

The maximum dose varies from state to state; where I am located it is generally set at 30mg, any more than that requires a second opinion from another psychiatrist. In other states I think the upper limit is 40mg, but no higher. It has to do with safety & therapeutic efficacy. There is no strong evidence demonstrating that doses > 40mg are more effective. It is best to stay on the lowest dose possible for the sake of brain & body health, but if 20mg really isn't cutting it, I think a small increase would definitely be reasonable.
Can you elaborate why you feel you need more? Also, is your doctor providing a reason for not increasing your dose, or is she just flat out refusing? It sounds very frustrating indeed!
I guess if you can't make it work with this doctor, the only thing to do would be to seek out another practitioner who will hopefully take your needs into account. I hope you find success; keep persevering!

Have you tried taking a drug 'holiday'? If you're on it everyday it can lose it's effectiveness. I always took breaks on the weekend and that helped keep it effective.

Also - You could try some Tyrosine at the end of the day. It's a precursor to dopamine in the body - might help top up your levels.

Be careful of thinking you NEED more. I used to be that way until I took a long break and started on a much lower dose. It's supposed to be quite subtle when it's working correctly - if you're relying on it for an energy boost you might find you need to take ever increasing amounts (which can lead to taking extra, which can lead to running out early, which could lead to finding something else to fill that hole)

If you're a young male - you're quite lucky to have a Doctor that's comfortable prescribing you any Dex, most aren't. I'm not saying it's right - I don't know what dose you need, but if you're wanting more than 6 tabs per day it's going to be like finding a needle in a haystack if you start looking for a new doc.

edit: Just read you're on 4 tabs. When you first got put on dex was it very helpful? has it become less so over time?

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have adult adhd and have been through hell and back more than I care to mention. As I understand it, this forum is about harm reduction, which translates to education, discussion and eventually I guess we all hope a little wisdom and maybe even looking out for each other.

I have found some great tips on this thread and probably have something to contribute once I have read through it properly.

Celeph Pachino - thankyou. You have inspired me to stop work and register on these forums for the first time.

Your contribution is astounding. You essentially stole just under two weeks worth of someone's prescription medication, from your own work-place no less, then proceeded to eat them, sit on them, wash / smudge the effects away with smoke and ethanol, then find it remarkable that you didn't even feel the slightest bit shitty afterwards.

I don't envy your lifestyle, I actually feel sorry for you and your complete lack of understanding, empathy and compassion for your fellow human beings. With a bit of luck, you will notice when that karma comes back to you and provides the opportunity to learn, grow and move on.

This is a decent thread and I apologise for entering into things in such a bitchy manner.

The OP asks if anyone has trouble sticking to their prescribed dose, and the answer is yes, if you have ever been prescribed them, chances are you felt exhausted at some point what with your new found completely 'normal' ability to lead a productive life, and confused this with thinking that more of these meds would be the answer when actually it is a case of less = more with amphetamines and the more breaks you are able to take, the more you can rest your body, reset tolerance levels and maybe approach some exotic things like deep sleep and vitamin C which are otherwise going to potentially trigger some fairly brutal interactions.

For sure, if someone at work found my meds and decided that they needed / wanted them more than I did, and that it was my fault for not finding out / confronting said person about it in order to have them returned, I would find it pretty fucking difficult to stick to my prescribed dose.

You cannot just wander down the street and obtain more once the script has been handed in. You are completely fucked until your next due to return. If you want to risk self medication you must then also risk being way over charged for a bag of bullshit and cutters that some little punk freak in a clapped out, 14 colour mitsubishi will provide to you sometime during the next few minutes / weeks, no one knows for sure. As well as this great service, such free spirits seem to have no trouble connecting your contact details to the 'about to be busted' list of contacts in their latest super special 99 dollar fruit flavoured mobile tracking device.

Whether or not forcing someone with mental differences to take a break from their meds turns out to be a blessing in disguise, the potential for it to be an inconvenience is somewhat huge, let alone being outright dangerous, disruptive, dishonest, unhealthy for everyone involved, and even more d-words like disrespectful, dumbo, deceptive, disgraceful and a dog-act.

Asking a psych to increase dose in Vic is equal to asking to look at you as if you were crazy. And being there, doing that, they may be right. If they are actually not right and you feel that nothing less than 30mg a day will be sufficient, then you can and probably should stand up for your rights and simply (yeh right) go over their heads. There are fair-practice authorities / regulations and people whose job it is to investigate complaints of psych mistreatment of their patients, to whom they are under contract and moral / ethical obligation to provide adequate care for.

I found these things out the hard way. The psych is banking on the fact that their opinion (read: licence to practice) is of more value than your own, and if they are good at their job, maybe so. Refusing to listen to patients is lame, but as soon as you rock up going Oh wow, things are much better now, if only I could get more, ... etc. red flags go up and you will be brick-walled for trying to tell them how to do their job, on the surface at least, and if you dig a little deeper or are lucky enough to find one who will hear absolutely everything you have to say, they might reveal why the crazy-crazy situation and paranoia on their part... heavy heroin users, for the most part, fucked up many, many things and red tape went flying everywhere.

Too many psychs were too lax and i guess people abused / over-indulged in whatever they were given, OD'd and woke up in emergency being added to the stats which get used to determine funding, licences and so on for the health industry.

It has nothing to do with us, and yet everything because we are hit with the full effects of genuinely seeking assistance only to be accused of being a drug abuser and threatened with losing any meds in any form, let alone useful, effective, reasonably safe / affordable ones.

They are worried about losing their licences, and we cannot blame them for that. There are regulations which actually are intended to maintain safety in the community and it is a sad irony that it translates to further self-medication, incarceration, deterioration of health and well being, on and on.

If I never left Vic I never would have even been diagnosed. I never would have been able to begin to take my fucking life back from this blanket ghost that had remained invisible to me and yet abused by so called friends and family in manipulating and disheartening ways. I never would have learned to begin to recognise areas of life where vast improvements were to be found and made by working towards. Never would have realised that my closest friends were all suffering similar things and yet still in that pre-diagnoses phase of just not knowing and not wanting to be told something that re-writes everything you thought you knew about yourself, others, your social life, mental and emotional well-being and lack thereof.

This is not a trivial topic by any means. It's life and death for so many of us. Bring on 2021 and in the meantime, some real open, honest discussion about risks vs benefits and how we can just make it safely to the end of the day. I've lost count of the number of times this nearly hasn't happened.

somebody left behind a 100 bottle of 5mg dexys at my work, with a good say 70 pills still in the bottle
nobody brought up the missing bottle so i started munchin 10mg - 20mg each morning
n that would get me going pretty hard since it was my first time trying dexys
i thought the comedown was really clean too
would have some beer and a couple cones and it was like i didn't even take amphets that day
but yeah D-5's are the bomb, they were the first pill i ever plugged aswell lol
As the above poster states, swiping someone's prescribed medication is both unethical - from the point of view that you are stealing someone's meds that cannot be replaced (doctor's generally are not accommodating to the "someone stole my script, can authorise another one) - and simply because they are scripted them because they are medically deemed to need them.
While it isn't a perfect analogy, pinching some oxycodone from someone with severe pain, or benzos from someone with crippling anxiety is in a similar league.
Sure, they "lost" the bottle - and you "found" it, but am i correct in assuming your work has a policy regarding lost and found items? Most do, and helping yourself from the 'found' items is unequivocally "stealing", any place i've worked.
Especially if it is a bottle prescription amphetamine...

While your thoughts on the matter are appreciated, the manner in which you obtained the pills in question is hardly necessary to elaborate upon, is it?
Generally speaking, stealing prescription drugs from people ("left behind" or not) is considered bad form by most people.
Did the bottle have the patient's details written on it? Prescribing doctor?
If so, it would have been extremely easy to get these drugs back to their rightful/legal owner. They might have even shared some with you out of gratitude...?

Not meaning to bust your balls, man - we all make decisions sometimes that can be looked back upon with a bit of regret or confusion - but I know a lot of people who go out of their way to contradict and defy the stereotype of drug users being unprincipled, thieving ratbags.
Not saying that you are any of those things - but ksm does raise some really good points i think.

The old saying what goes around, comes around seems rather fitting here.
Maybe think twice before your next "opportunity" of this nature comes up. It might save you your job - or, depending on the drug in question; your life.
Sorry about the lecture, but i agree with much of what ksm has to say.

Last edited:
Fair enough. As my Gran used to say "waste not, want not".

Personally i think if something is going to otherwise be disposed of, it's fair game.
But having said that, you should make pretty damn certain that the pills don't belong to anyone (or if they don't need them any more...such as people who have died - but that's a whole other story).