EMD Can we get a freakin' TECHNO thread or what?

I just think you should be more...accepting? a lot of time and effort goes into all these producers' work....you shouldn't just write it off as "balls"

I think most of the artists mentioned in here are actually pretty damn good!

I just think you should be more...accepting? a lot of time and effort goes into all these producers' work....you shouldn't just write it off as "balls"

I think most of the artists mentioned in here are actually pretty damn good!

I didn't mean that that dj was balls. I meant that I prefer techno with more balls than that slower minimal stuff. I can see how that might not have been clear.

I also know exactly how much effort goes into producing this music, and have the utmost respect for people (like myself) who write their own stuff. that being said. if I don't like something, I'm not going to say that I do just to avoid hurting someone's feelings, be they producer, dj or fan.

toast is a techno elitest. the genre attracts that crowd. that awkward hip vibe makes techno shows fun sometimes, and sometimes it ruins them.

anyways, speedy j's latest xlr8r podcast is dope.
I would recommend anybody who loves good techno check it out.

what exactly makes me an elitist? the fact that I have very particular taste in techno? and I HARDLY think the kind of techno I like qualifies as the hipster-chinstroking style.

let's keep this civil, please.

different people have different tastes, and that doesn't mean we all have to like what each other likes. :|

great. go start an electro thread and stay out of this one.

just put in a big beatport order, with a few shiners (and a few disappointments. fuckin beatport. you can never tell with their shit quality). lots more hard stuff than I'm used to

really diggin some Fer Br stuff that I'd never heard of. his track Luengo and one of the remixes are solid. his remix of carl falk - stand tall is pretty sweet too. Overall best purchases were in the 'regular' techno department though. as I said above, minitec 004 is SUPER sick. the levan track is off the hook. Dustin Zahn - analog god (audio injection and drumcell rmx) is great too. I wasn't sure about that one but it ended up sounding really good. ended up getting the good times remix too. fun track, but I don't think it will ever see the light of day (or the darkness of a club, i guess).

ok...

Hyperactive
Frankie Bones
Ben sims
Claude von Stroke
Green Velvet
Josh Wink
Jeff mills
Juan Atkins
ben sims
ritchie hawtin

hummpf... have i proven i know enough about this Techno you speak of ;)

Techno!

josh Wink has a new album commin out. Could be worth a squint, hes usually always worth a listen as a producer.

I thought I was the only person in the world who liked Josh Wink.

and has anybody ever gone from hero to zero faster than James Holden?

nothing specific.
just seems as though a couple of years ago , everything he touched was gold, and he got tons of great publicity. total rockstar for a minute.

now I never see his label or tracks on dj's tracklistings, etc. his name just doesn't come up anymore.
alltime buzz champion of the world, though. brilliant work with that crap program.

well, he went from producing mediocre trance to crappy techno/prog, for one. he was certainly huge for a while there. I remember seeing him on a triple bill with holden, BT and ferry corsten in Toronto a many years ago. he was definitely the weakest of the three by far. that was a kickass though. corsten was awesome, as usual.

anyway, trance break over. carry on.

well, he went from producing mediocre trance to crappy techno/prog, for one. he was certainly huge for a while there. I remember seeing him on a triple bill with holden, BT and ferry corsten in Toronto a many years ago. he was definitely the weakest of the three by far. that was a kickass though. corsten was awesome, as usual.

anyway, trance break over. carry on.

Your way off. Holden and his lable have produced some excellent stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_R03Ew-r3s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otqx6qGHhPU

I will admit hes not the greatest Dj but id say he is fucked half the time he plays. In normal curcumstances Holden would not have been playing the same night as BT and Corsten, must have been a promotional tour. He admits that with his erlier stuff wasnt exactly free creativly and that it might be a bit progy/trancey but even then it was miles ahead of Corsten. His earlier productions gave him the foundations to set up the lable and now he makes what he wants.

dude, you think holden is a better producer (or dj for that matter) than ferry corsten? I don't want to get into an argument about this because it's obviously entirely subjective, but you, sir, are nuts.

holden>corsten.
c'mon.

beyer played the shit out of outhouse for a year, and almost everybody techno played his mix of sky is pink at least once live.

never got that track either. it's like that aquilina tune called m something that everyone was freaking out about for a while. never got into that one either. the 'holden tool' version is so much better.

anyway, corsten has never really dabbled in techno, but in terms of trance, holden has never done anything that even TOUCHES corsten's best work. exhale? come on. he actually wrote two tracks called exhale, one as system f with van buuren and the other as ferry corsten on the flip of right of way. all are absolutely ridiculous tunes.

anyway, show me a holden track that is better than either of these in terms of sheer kickass and I'll shut up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlcBaZweZJM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U11meyueWYI