EMD Can we get a freakin' TECHNO thread or what?

you coming to demf toa$t?

outside shot. I have to go to a conference in montreal starting on the monday, so I would miss the last (and usually best) day if I go. also, I'll be in mtl all that week, and that just happens to be the week of mutek. I will probably go fi paul ritch is playing on the saturday or sunday. his set at wmc was insane.

some more interesting names : Jay Denham, Kenny Larkin, Joey Beltram, Fred Gianelli, Maurizio, James Pennington, Mike Banks, Robert Hood, Drexciya, The Martian, Stacey Pullen, Underground Resitance, Scan 7, Blake Baxter, D-Knox,...

Fuck yes Drexciya! And the UR!

Did you ever hear Abstract Thought and Dopplereffekt? It's the same two guys that do Drexciya.

Arghhhhh! I love Detroit analog stuff!

I like the old raw London acid stuff a whole bunch too. That shit that all sounds the same. doofdoofdoofdoofwahwahwahwah.

^^
'gesamtkunstwerk' is a timeless classic!! Here's a sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZJDuMQdY_E

the 'hypothetical situations' album of abstract thought is indeed a nice piece of work as well, I espcially like 'bermuda triangle' and 'galactic rotation'.

Even though both have that typical Detroit sound, I think most would label this electro instead of techno, but when you listen to Drexciya you'll see the line between both is very thin.

25-minute-madness part 5 - techno

http://www.speedshare.org/download.php?id=B39CFA3211

1. matthias schaffhäuser - weissgefühl 2 (forcetracks)
2. adam beyer - stocktown city b1 (rotation records)
3. ellery cowles - thermo grip (djax-up beats)
4. cari lekebusch - stiff nex (spirit fuel)
5. dj esp aka woody mc bride - mind your own business (nsc records)
6. michael burkat - we fight back (temper)
7. boriqua tribez - panico (highland beats)
8. michael burkat - something must break (highland beats)
9. manu le malin - matrix (al ferox rmx.) (bloc 46)

yo brainbug, can you repost this? I just discovered Michael Burkat. HOLY SHIT.

already got the Closer EP. Fight is unbelievable. that's the one that got me turned on to him.

it's not trance. it's not house. its not any of that weird dubcrap that people are somehow passing off as music these days... it's god damn straight up techno. the most diverse genre of music on the planet IMO. minimal to straight up bangin,' detroit vocal (kinda shitty but whatever) to acid (also shitty), there are just so many different sounds that fall into that category.

What defines techno? I don't think anyone has put it better than Wittgenstein in the Philosophical Investigations in the passage on the fixity of meaning (I wish I had my copy here. I'll post the exact citation when I get my book). He uses the example of a game. Essentially, it is impossible to define a game in terms of a particular characteristic or characteristics. Not all games have rules (small childrens' games), not all games are played for fun (professional sports), not all games are competitive (solitaire) etc... so how do we know that something is a game? Well, it's because it bears a certain family resemblance to other things in the category.

Similarly, we can know what the term 'techno' means without being able to give a precise definition. once you've heard enough techno, you'll know it when you hear it.

So who are some of your favs -- djs and producers? what are some of the best TECHNO parties you've ever been to? What's sitting in yor gig crate right now? what's in your checkout box that you aren't sure about?

your whole thread discussion is busted. Very few DJs even play 100% techno. When I think of techno I think of Richie Hawtin or John Aquaviva and even those have probubly dabbled in other styles. ITS PART OF THE TRADE! THEY ARE MIXING RECORDS ALONG WITH OTHER SOUNDS! I can't even recall another true techno DJ who has any notoriety whatsoever. Problem is most DJs don't play 100% 1 genre. All kinds of DJs, including house or breaks, dabble in techno even within a song. Your getting too fucking technical. Techno can get a bit repetative at times.....other styles are thrown in to change it up. FYI most people don't give a damn if its techno or breaks or house or drum n bass or watever.....just that its put 2gether well. I E not a train wreck. and dont name me a bunch of DJs(which i see on this list) that nobody has ever heard.

Last edited:
oh man, I can't believe I didn't start this thread ages ago.

I may have to retract my statement about swedish techno being my favourite too! there's been some INSANE shit coming out of Naples, Italy in the last little while. Check out:

Joseph Capriati
Markantonio
Piatto
Dandi and Ugo
Flavio Diaz
Simone Tavazzi

man, i could go on and on about these italian stallions.

first and fore most I would like to congradulate you, mad props on this one pal, soo many people talk about Tiesto this, Deadmau5 that, its annoying, I hanvent encountered any Techno or Minimal fans around, with you as an exception, so again, props

now

Dandi and Ugo, I dont like the newest songs, but I do remember some old 07 tracks? that I cant remember but were great Minimal songs... fron a pinkstar records? or something like that...

I like Bart Skills is more of my liking when it comes to Techno, and many Coocon artists as well.. Ellen Allien, is also one of my top favorites.

As far as Techno Djs, well I think Ellen Allien is great, Richie Hawtin... although more recently hes becoming more commercial... he is still a mastermind behind the tables.. Sven Vath.. oh oh Tiefschwarz!! haha one of my favorites.. I was at an afterparty once with those two in some guy's apartment.. fucking WILD night let me just say

Techno's a great genre, and minimal, is too, BUT, it was much more of a radical concept in 06 and 07 really... Chapeau Claque's reykjavik, remixed by Bukaddor and Fishbeck was one of the top Minimal songs of 08 by far in my opinion... uhm lets see.. OH im so stupid, lets not forget Stephan Bodzin shall we!

and lately, 09.. from this month of course... Alex Flatner partering up with Lopazz of course

your whole thread discussion is busted. Very few DJs even play 100% techno. When I think of techno I think of Richie Hawtin or John Aquaviva and even those have probubly dabbled in other styles. ITS PART OF THE TRADE! THEY ARE MIXING RECORDS ALONG WITH OTHER SOUNDS! I can't even recall another true techno DJ who has any notoriety whatsoever. Problem is most DJs don't play 100% 1 genre. All kinds of DJs, including house or breaks, dabble in techno even within a song. Your getting too fucking technical. Techno can get a bit repetative at times.....other styles are thrown in to change it up. FYI most people don't give a damn if its techno or breaks or house or drum n bass or watever.....just that its put 2gether well. I E not a train wreck. and dont name me a bunch of DJs(which i see on this list) that nobody has ever heard.

your post is "busted". almost every Dj that defines himself with a genre NEVER plays only trance or only techno, etc

Richie Hawtin could play a techno set with some tech house and some minimal, with two or three house songs, but the theme is techno, and thats undeniable

the same goes with Aquaviva, although he faded away from techno loooong ago

and dont name me a bunch of DJs(which i see on this list) that nobody has ever heard.

then to bad for those who havent, hes not being a dick when he names his favorite producers or Djs he apperently likes, whats so wrong about that>?

and there is such a thing as people who do give a fuck about the genre, someone who likes rap or hip hop probably wont like a heavy metal concert will he?

the same goes with some one who likes Trance, chances are he wont feel at home at a Techno partie

OBVIOUSLY there are many people who like several genres, but my point is, people do give a shit about genres for the most part, to say, people honestly really dont care about genres, is bull shit

dude, if you liked Dandi and Ugo's older stuff (I generally prefer them as DJs than producers), check out some of this shit on their label, Italo Business. There is a shitload of good music on that. Check Piatto, Capriati and Markantonio too. They're all up in that area.

I'm not crazy about minimal anymore. there was a time there when i'd go out to see hawtin and be standing there with my jaw on the floor for two hours because his music was so awesome (actually, probably around 06-07), but it got old pretty quick. I'm not sure if I got sick of the music of if the music got worse. I think it's probably a little bit of both. I definitely don't play minimal very often anymore. he's was still ok the last couple of times, but definitely not spectacular. some of his recorded sets I have check out recently have been horrible too, but I've never really found any awesome minimal sets of hawtin's that were recorded.

but straight techno (and not the hard, slamming shit. that is totally dead, unfortunately) is still alive and well. f you don't think techno is innovative anymore, check out some of those italian dudes on the list. I'm also going to post a set of mine from last weekend in the sets thread when I get the chance. check it out for a lot of stuff in that vein.