• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Bupe or not to Bupe....

Espranor is just another brand of bupe, they switched from subutex as (apparantley) its getting too expensive and there are cheaper generics coming out. I also heard that subutex is getting discontinued?

I don’t get subutex anymore, they give me prefibin, apparently it’s cheaper, makes no difference to me!

As long as I can! I’ve probably never gone half an hour though! Ten minutes. The pharmacist told me all the good stuff is absorbed in the first couple of minutes, still better safe than sorry.

Espranor is just another brand of bupe, they switched from subutex as (apparantley) its getting too expensive and there are cheaper generics coming out. I also heard that subutex is getting discontinued?

Do you live in the UK too? They've swapped me over to Espranor now as well and told me the same thing. It was my understanding that it was just my drug treatment center that was doing it, but maybe it's nationwide?? I was also told that Espranor is functionally like being on a higher dose since the quicker absorption leads to a faster/stronger onset, but that made no sense to me since the dose was identical, and I can't see the reduction in dissolving time from maybe 3-4 minutes for my subutex/prefibin tablets to less than a minute for Espranor leading to any different subjective effect, and my intuition was right. There's no difference for me since being on Espranor, except it tastes more pleasant and is dissolved faster.

I don’t get subutex anymore, they give me prefibin, apparently it’s cheaper, makes no difference to me!

Same drug though! I can't say I've ever noticed a difference between brands, have you?

Glad you're starring to level out, if you were fine this morning then you should be fine tomorrow as well.

:cool: 💪 :cool: 💪 :cool:

As long as I can! I’ve probably never gone half an hour though! Ten minutes. The pharmacist told me all the good stuff is absorbed in the first couple of minutes, still better safe than sorry.

Your pharmacist doesnt know what they're talking about, especially if you have three or four 8mgs in there.

Yep Im in the UK, I was told I was going on Espranor but the 1st day i was given Subutex and since then its been Prefibin.

I asked the pharmacist why this was and she said she couldn't get Espranor and script just says Bupe 2mg so she got whatever she could.

The Subutex dissolved dead quick but I find the Prefibin takes longer and is a bigger tablet (so i snap it in 2 and put both in there). That seems to speed it up.

So day 4 and I'm feeling pretty good, no longer waking up in WD's and I'm starting to stabilise and getting some sleep.

Bit egg-bound though ! :D

Sounds like they got the dose just right. (y)

Just take your time to stabilise (depends on the individual but a month is a good amount of time) and then start thinking about reducing, don't hang around on it for ages.

Recovery framework and support network are what you need now.

just had a bit of a "funny turn"

all of a sudden, i went really really cold/hot and broke out in freezing cold sweat and felt really weak and dizzy and puked up, my hands feel a bit "weird" and are really cold, its a bit difficult to type and i feel "drained"

is this normal ?

also really really itchy

maybe i should eat something

Don't panic, hopefully is nothing and totally unconnected.

Don't go mad on the coffee, loads of caffeine is probably only going to increase the chances of you feeling weird. Eat some healthy food, something with vitamins and fibre.

Do you live in the UK too? They've swapped me over to Espranor now as well and told me the same thing. It was my understanding that it was just my drug treatment center that was doing it, but maybe it's nationwide?? I was also told that Espranor is functionally like being on a higher dose since the quicker absorption leads to a faster/stronger onset, but that made no sense to me since the dose was identical, and I can't see the reduction in dissolving time from maybe 3-4 minutes for my subutex/prefibin tablets to less than a minute for Espranor leading to any different subjective effect, and my intuition was right. There's no difference for me since being on Espranor, except it tastes more pleasant and is dissolved faster.

Same drug though! I can't say I've ever noticed a difference between brands, have you?
No I’ve never personally noticed a difference, although I know people who insist on getting subutex.

just had a bit of a "funny turn"

all of a sudden, i went really really cold/hot and broke out in freezing cold sweat and felt really weak and dizzy and puked up, my hands feel a bit "weird" and are really cold, its a bit difficult to type and i feel "drained"

is this normal ?

also really really itchy

maybe i should eat something

It’s a funny old drug man, I had a horrible few days getting on to it. Absolutely terrible!! But it settled down after a few days. I’m sure it’ll level out. Don’t panic.

As they day went on I felt a little better but my heart was racing by the time i went to bed, was very anxious. Was panicking. Slept ok though

this morning i've had the worse diarrhoea ever! its like my WD from full opiates is trying to hang on as long as possible! Its like its there but its not there...

Just off to the chemist for my dose. If it doesnt start getting better by tomorrow and am going to see if they will up the dose.

I will beat this! thanks for all your comments and support, appreciate it!

Last edited:
OK, so been on Bupe for a week now and I have stabilised nicely.

A couple of side effects: Constipation (I am taking laxatives every 3rd day and that clears me out). Sudden breaks of sweat (later in the day all of a sudden i go hot and within a minute I am drenched in sweat!). That last for about 1 hour but I spoke to the doc and he says that should go away eventually. Ive also mastered taking the SL pills so it all stays under my tongue until its all completely gone. One thing I have noticed though is these Prefibin tabs take longer to dissolve than Subutex.

apart form that I'm feeling good, sleeping OK, mood is good, anxiety is gone, no wd's at all. I have lots of energy and motivation and my mid is clearer than it has been for a long long while. I almost feel "normal". (if normal is actually a thing)

Once of the best things is i dont wake up in WD every day anymore and I dont have to spend all day panicking about where I am going to get opiates from and driving round parmacies and ordering dodgy pills of the web. ! So that drug seeking part of my life has gone. plus I'm saving ££££.

Now to start planning my recovery like the catinthehat has stated previously.

I've not had a drink yet on bupe, is it best to avoid it completely ? I dont drink much anyway but like 2 or 3 pints on Sunday afternoon with the footy!

I've not had a drink yet on bupe, is it best to avoid it completely ? I dont drink much anyway but like 2 or 3 pints on Sunday afternoon with the footy!

Well. Yes not drinking is always gonna be safer than drinking, bupe or no bupe.

That said though, in terms of relative risk it's going to depend on your tolerance. If you wanna drink you'd probably be best off starting low and seeing how you feel.

I mean I'm on methadone not bupe, but very occasionally ill have a drink and I've never had a problem. Opioids and alcohol absolutely do interact. And taking them together will increase the dangers of both. But it's all gonna depend on you, your tolerance, and the quantities.

If you wanna do it though safest thing is always to start low till you get a feel for how it affects you.

Stay safe :)

Great news dude, glad you got through this little part of your journey ok.

Good that its keeping you good for 24 hours, even after I'd been on 24mg for months I still used to wake up feeling ill. Enjoy having your life back from the continuous mission to score, and use the time you now have wisely!
:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

How are you doing dude? I tried doing a bupe taper for my habit but failed. I was taking 1200mg DHC, 480mg oxy and 400mg tramadol a day (split into 2 doses). So my habit was quite large. I did a 7 day taper but day 9 I was still very sick and had work the next day so relapsed.
I found bupe didn't get me well until day 3 or 4 and I was still having sweats/chills seeping through.
I'm trying to quit using codeine now. 240mg of it twice a day, I have just started day 3 and feel terrible, but the codeine is allowing me to lie mostly still otherwise i'd be flopping around in agony