• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Bluelight Stall at Raves - Your thoughts/assistance please

I understand where you are coming from Motoman. We must learn to walk before we can fly at this point in time. Starting off small and testing the waters is the direction we need to take - a small stall offering information etc will not cost much - I am already willing to take on alot of the finacial cost at this stage (I don't expect others to
wink.gif
). If we all pull our resources together I'm sure it is not going to cost much at all - assistance has already been offered by The Peak and Ravesafe - it doesn't have to be financial. Simple things like helping construct a banner, pamphlets and helping at the stall itself.
Mibrane, CandyFlip we need to get together and see how both Bluelight, The Peak and Ravesafe can work together
smile.gif

Keep the ideas coming!!!
Finn your assistance is greatly appreciated and I'll certainly keep you informed. If we get this up and running here in Melbourne we can then maybe look into other states.
------------------
Careful with that axe Eugene....

i'd be happy to help out for the Sydney side of things. i'm not sure how much time i would be able to devote to it, but i would certainly be only too happy to help.
so if you get some more Sydney supporters, i'm in as well, so let me know if i can do anything
smile.gif
i'll help you guys out or Finn in sydney... let me know
smile.gif

Bigfoot Dragon

Ok - the ball is moving - I'd like to set the date of 4th October at 7pm at JB's Bar (hahahha johnboy you should have called it JB's)
Name: Prudence
Address: 368 Victoria St, North Melbourne
If this is a problem fro people we can organise another time
smile.gif

Thanks Johnboy
smile.gif

------------------

i dont think finacial is a large aspect of it either. with the-peak.com.au donating testers and i think if you had a donation jar or somehting so when people got tests done they donated a dollar or two i think that would really help, and i think thats a reasonable expectation. I dont see why we would need droves of money, this thing is done totally for no commercial gain rather the saftey and education of those useing e. I think after the stall had a little rep, (i agree the first few parties would be the hardest) people would want/expect to see the *famous* oz bluelight e testing stand at more parties
smile.gif

okay, i would LOVE to help out with this. i dont know what i can do tho!
smile.gif

also, 7pm is tricky for asym and i, but especially on tues or wednesdays, so we might have to sit this one out.
but, haste or someone EMAIL ME N LET ME KNOW!!!! cuz i really really wanna help.. this is a fantastic idea!
smile.gif

smilez
smile.gif

I'll be a sydney supporter! After the hsc i'll have lots of free time on my hands and i'll be more than happy to help with anything
smile.gif

This is a great idea - I'm more than willing to help with anything in sydney especially flyer/brochure/banner design and printing.
When you hear some ill-informed statements made by some drugtakers you wonder how someone could be so stupid, but then on the other hand the info isn't that readily available unless you know where to find it. So I think simple point form brochures would be a great help - and i know I'd be interested to learn more if i didn't know shit and I'd just started taking drugs.
This is important in this country with all the dodgy locals going round with god knows what in them!

Im also from sydney and would be more than happy to help out with it all...
Even though some of you dismiss funding i still think it is an issue.. maybe inital funding wouldnt be.. but if your serious about an ongoing venture than constant funding really needs to be address.. i would rate funding as second only to the legal issues... i know if a business if a non-profit organization abn's are not needed. But if bluelight as a name was to be used as the front for flyers and info brochures it would have to be registered as a business nam ( if it already hasnt.. has it ? )
When legal issues are sort out regarding pill testing etc i will contact as few local promoters that i know and see about there level of interest... im sure if we can give them assurances that there will be no legal repurcassions then they will go for it.. otherwise we may be limited to handing out leaflets at the end of nights to start off with.

Right on XSI11V!! You are so correct! This site seems to be too much of a "big seceret" and not enough people know about it. I think it would be great to get a heap of stickers made up to give away at these stalls, if it happens. Stickers and flyers are the cheapest way to get something well known because they are the only thing that young people seem to read and take notice of. Now we might need a little cash to do something like that, or maybe we could just get some donations for it or something. Hey and I was wondering if we could sell e-z tests at raves for a slightly cheaper price (thanks to people that could help out) just to pay for the stickers and stuff. I think it's kinda shitty if money is coming out of dedicated Bluelighters pockets, it doesn't need to get to that. I think it's cheap and easy way of getting this site well known.
[This message has been edited by MOTOMAN (edited 27 September 2000).]

Ok let me explain - About seven years ago I worked on a project of setting up a Youth Information Service - it was initially set-up to provide young people with info on education and training - we later expanded on providing info on all youth related issues (including drugs - working closely with the Glenroy Needle Exchange Program) The project was called (wait for it) the J.O.I.N.T. (Job Orientation and Inforamtion Network Team). As service run by young people for young people - there was also Youth Workers working in the project. Now funding for this project was an issue because:
1. We required premises to hold all our information (In our case premises will be the parties themselves)
2. We set-up alot of training programs through TAFES for young people - we took on the burden of course costs.
Now as far setting up the shop front (interior, front window) it was all done through volunteer work. The Youth Workers (myself included) all volunteered our time. Spread across many people it was never an issue. Brochures, posters etc - all in house through contacts we established - you'd be suprised who know's who.
As far as Bluelight needing to be registered - this is something we have to look at - again it is a legalities matter that needs to sorted out. We must consider where we stand legally by handing out info on such a delicate issue. We also need to protect ourselves!!
My aim has always been for this to be a non-profit venture fuelled by people's passion to make a difference. As it grows and we possibly venture into other areas that incur costs, then we can look into funding - don't hold your breath expecting anything from the Government. We will have to aim at philanthropic funding like we did for the JOINT. Anyway, like I said before we have to walk before we can fly, and at the momment we are in the crawling stages.
I really appreciate the feedback because these are things we have to consider - so keep it coming....
Pinger, Mona, Smurf would love to hear from you guys
smile.gif

------------------

Another legal issue that you might want to think about is whether you can be liable if you test someone's pill, and you say it's ok, and it turns out it isn't (you know maybe because of bad reaction to bonding agents, etc)
I mean how does a disclaimer play into it, and even if you have a disclaimer, maybe you can still be liable - not under statutory law but under torts, etc. just something that you might want to think about, something that is prob. just as important as possession.

dancesafe in america never says a pills is "good"or "bad". their language is very neutrel, ie when a pill tests purple/black they say "this pill gives a normal reaction to MDxx" etc
all tests should be followed with an explanation of thepossible side effects of taking said substance and ways to minimise them... what could be the problem with that?

I don't really have time to comment to heavily on the topic (still in perth), but I'm sure I've made my commitment to this idea clear in past discussions. I will support anything that goes on in Sydney 100%, I'll test pills at parties, hand out fliers at parties do whatever basically. INVOLVE ME!

i'm in the middle of finding out the legalities for you haste, and will post them up as soon as I find out. (its taking longer than expected)
and any other way I can help I will, but for now I will find out if we can do it or not (testing pills at raves)
------------------
"In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity, is the vital thing" - Oscar Wilde, The Importance of Being Earnest.

Chemical Generation would be happy to provide testers for use by a Bluelight stall for the purposes of Pill Testing, at no cost. In return, and to help your financials, we would like to be able to sell 'E: a quick and simple test' at your stall. We will donate $10 from every tester sold at the event to Bluelight. We would also like to help with construction of 'safe raving' material.
Keep us in the loop and we can help you to work towards a common goal.
B.
Chemical Generation

Hey Sydneysiders,
Should we organise a meeting to discuss this too?
Or should we wait until after the Melbourne crew meetup and see what they decide to do?
Finn
smile.gif

Het Sydney guys, don't wait for us, you guys go for it. The sooner you start, the more ideas will pop into our heads.

Basically, what i am saying is that you must realise that legal action can take place even if you explain everything very clearly, etc. Because there is such a risk with E. And not everyone will always listen properly, or misunderstand what you say to them, or misinterpret. Because of costs of legal advice and action, the last thing you want to do is to have someone bring an action, and even if it sounds liek a case they cannot win, you will still have to go and get legal advice, which will cost you money.
The only thing i can think of to escape such liability is if you make it so bleeding obvious (signs, repeated explanations) that you are not liable, and it is just a test, and nothing else (just like on the leaflet with the testing kit). But then you might have to deal with people who might be intoxicated already (that you know) and don't understand... then there are ramifications for that - can't give make someone aware of disclaimer if you know that they are in such a state to do so.
I'm interested in looking at the legal ramfications exactly, but it's going to take a while as there isn't much law in this specific area.

I think the pill testing at venues is of critical importance, as a simple stand would not be anywhere as successful as a stall that tests pills. Im putting myself in someones shoes who is at the party and is there to party, very few would come over and collect sheets with info. The thing that would get them coming is the pill testing and everything else would be a natural progression from this, thats not to say that the stall with only info wouldnt be a start, im just saying it would be less successful.
Also a web presence i feel would be needed, as just www.bluelight.ru is only a board with info. if we had a name, maybe jase could give us a subdomain, http://ourname.bluelight.ru that would link to this site as well as state our crew involved with the project as well as objectives etc and future plans, stuff like that.
Also hunting around dancesafe.org and starting chapters (i know we arnt a dancesafe chapter but we can learn from their suggestions) that they get donations from party organisers, as when we are elstablished and recognised and ppl know we are gonna be at a party, those party organisers can donate to us as we make their party safer etc etc.
[This message has been edited by Cowboy Mac (edited 27 September 2000).]