• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight Motorcycle Club

Have you ever crashed/dropped your bike?

• Total voters
Nice bike Keaton! You might want to think about the 690cc kit for it. Gives another 10hp;)

When it comes time for a rebuild though. Don't go for an overbore until it needs new piston/rings.

I got an '87 XL600 which I rebuilt with a small overbore. If you want power increase before rebuild time comes; "uncork" it. High flow air filter/exhaust, carburetor has to be re-jetted to compensate for higher airflow. More air > more fuel can be burned > more power. You wouldn't ever do an overbore before uncorking it in the first place.

Anyways, nice ride Keaton, dual sports are the best. I've had mine for a couple years now and logistically I've maxed out it's power output while completely neglecting tires. I do a fair amount of off-road with it and dumped it quite a few times. Most of those dumps would not have happened if I had more off-road capable tire. Obviously I can't put knobbies on like a dirt bike because I still need on-road rideability but I at least need something like 50-50's. The last dump cemented my decision, it's not going out next year before I get tires on it; my knees/elbows got scrapped up pretty bad. Hound dog jumped out while I was on a corner on a gravel road.. yeah.

this is my bike having a rest:

offroading.jpg

^ Um, you took the time to take a picture of it resting on its side? Hmm, gas flowing out of carburetor, oil flowing out of crankcase breather. From a technical standpoint it's best to get it up as soon as it's down. ;)

what are these archaic sounding 'carburetors' you speak of? in the present day, motorbikes have fuel injection, you know. ;)

i thought i would undislocate my left shoulder and have a smoke before lifting her back up again. that might actually have been the first time i dropped it, and didn't know the proper technique yet.

btw thanks for asking if i was hurt. :p

Ack, sorry dude, usually off-road falls are at relatively slow speed and just mean a bruise, if that. As to proper technique, well, grab handlebar, something else near the rear and lift. For me it's likely different though, my bike is like 325lbs wet, so like 100 or so 'felt' pounds when lifting off its side with the tires on the ground.

And don't knock carburetors man, they allow for personal tuning of air/fuel ratio. FI you need the shop's software and interface and the knowledge to code that shit. Also, in the event of an EMP, mine will still supply fuel :p

Simplicity has its merits. 600cc, about 50hp, and only 325lbs. Light enough for tight trails and falls aren't a big deal. It's super easy to work on and with the hp/weigh ratio it also hauls ass :)

Oh, inexpensive is another feature you rich snob; mechanically inclined student here. :p

Upon checking, all true dual sporters are still carbureted. Only those expensive and heavy luxury bikes like yours are fuel injected. Heck, mine doesn't even have electric start, but I never have to worry about a dead battery.

That's one thing though, next bike I get I want the button. Kicking a cold blooded high comp. 600 single is a feat. I just hope they still put kick starters on bikes with electric start in case of battery/wiring failure in the boonies.

Last edited:
^ nice. which mountains?

Ack, sorry dude, usually off-road falls are at relatively slow speed and just mean a bruise, if that. As to proper technique, well, grab handlebar, something else near the rear and lift.
haha, thanks mate but I know how to pick up my bike now. :D you forgot to mention lifting it with your back facing the bike, so you use your legs to lift it, not your spine.

Oh, inexpensive is another feature you rich snob; mechanically inclined student here. :p

Upon checking, all true dual sporters are still carbureted. Only those expensive and heavy luxury bikes like yours are fuel injected. Heck, mine doesn't even have electric start, but I never have to worry about a dead battery.
hah, my bike is certainly heavy. but I've never seen it described as 'luxury' before!

anyway, why you having a go at me, we're on the same side dude. we have bikes that are FUN and can go most places, and I dunno about you, but mine is covered in scratches from tree branches and I don't even care. that's how rock n roll I am. ;)

Just a little range out east of here.
T'was a chilly one today, but tons of fun.

Not anymore!
I've laid it down twice now, different side each time. Whoops...

please explain then, you make it sound so deliberate and skilled!

Lol well....Lay down number one happened when I went on a ride with my dad. We were goin' through some twisties, and we got to one that banked super weird next thing I knew I was on the pavement.
Number two happened when I was coming up a super dark hill on the way to a friends house. Was going too fast, saw an edge and no road (I missed a turn) turns out it was someones driveway. panicked, then bit it. *shrugs* just happy to be alive tbh.

fell off... crashed... same thing. :p

nothing like a little surprise to slow you down for the rest of the day, eh?

Nope, fuck slowing down, I just put a bigger headlight on so that next time I could see the road. Or lack there of.

hah, my bike is certainly heavy. but I've never seen it described as 'luxury' before!

anyway, why you having a go at me, we're on the same side dude. we have bikes that are FUN and can go most places, and I dunno about you, but mine is covered in scratches from tree branches and I don't even care. that's how rock n roll I am. ;)

I know man, I was sorta amped up. Wasn't really having a go, just the sissy talk of "new bike with fuel injection" rubbed this old fashioned redneck the wrong way. And yeah, your bike is luxury :p. My bike is older than I am and catches a lot of wind.

I didn't know there was a proper technique to lifting a bike (with your back to it), I'm only 120lbs and 5'11" so pretty damn skinny and never had any trouble yanking mine up like a piece of plywood. I can see that if your bike weighs over 500lbs, obviously it starts getting tough.

Stock photo of the wind catcher:

12415_0_1_2_xl%20600%20r_Image%20credits%20-%20John%20Graham.jpg

Same side, yes, but after 6 hours my ass is hurting a lot more. ;)

nothing like a little surprise to slow you down for the rest of the day, eh?

Oh god when I bit the gravel for that F'ing hound dog I had a 2 hour ride back home that sucked balls. I was tense, paranoid, sun was going down so also cold. After a bad dump the rest of the day sucks.

Was going too fast, saw an edge and no road (I missed a turn) turns out it was someones driveway. panicked, then bit it. *shrugs* just happy to be alive tbh.

Wow. So lucky it wasn't a drop off of some sort!

And Keaton I don't know how you're still riding, even during summer when the sun goes down it gets freezing on the road. I can't ride if it's under 20C

I'm just really lovin' it man. :)
Plus, if I throw a jacket on, it doesn't bother me much.
It helps that I went from driving an SUV to this, I love what it's doing for my wallet.

I just picked up a new riding jacket for the cold weather... anyone here do ice riding? I'm gonna be sticking my ducati into storage soon, but busting out my old yamaha rz350 and chaining the tires for the ice riding/racing that happens here on the frozen lake in the winter.

^ studded tires bro.

I know a guy with a 250 motocross that he has studded tires for use in the winter. He rides the ice where I live.

I ride the ice on my 4-wheeler; I've not been brave enough to do so without that 2nd dimension of stability.

My 4-wheeler is an uncorked 350 warrior so it's got some go. It's great on the ice, to be going full bore and then crank it into a hard fishtail doughnut spin, fun man. Also there a creek that I ride on that meanders (curves), so when you go around it in top gear full throttle you can drift around the long turns sideways around 100k. Ice is fun as hell :)

It just takes a while to get going without studded tires, once you have momentum it's all good. With studded tires you wouldn't be able to fishtail/doughnut/drift though.