• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Bluelight Motorcycle Club

Have you ever crashed/dropped your bike?

• Total voters

purplefirefly

Bluelight Crew
I have been thinking about this for quite some time and I would like to organize a place where all the motorcycle enthusiasts could discuss their rides. Feel free to ask opinions about mods that you would like to get, opinions on different types of motorcycles, or use this thread as a place to show off your ride :D

I would also like to see if we could possibly even get some rides scheduled!

Also, even though this is posted in social I'm hoping that we can get some internationals in here to be involved with our banter! :)

So I'll start off, here is a picture of my baby, she's a 2001 Suzuki Intruder Volusia (800 cc). One of the things I like most about this bike is the low seat height, being vertically challenged it's important that I am able to sit flat footed on any bike that I own. I would also like to say that it is by far the most comfortable bike my ass has ever sat on!

Suzuki_Volusia_10-6-07_3.jpg

Actually I do have a question about GPS's:

Can someone recommend a brand of GPS that I would be able to attach to my bike, also, do you think it would be hard to mount since I do not have a windshield (and have no desire at all to purchase one)?

oh. i could've sworn i replied to this?

felix said:
mazdan, your search is over. ;)

get one of mine - a Suzuki DL650 V-Strom. i bought mine brand new nearly 3 years, not long after i passed my test. i love it more and more every time i take it out.

we've gone on euro trips for the past two summers, going 4000 and 3000 miles. i've done 13500 miles on it so far, in complete comfort. sports bikes make my poor old back sore but this one has never even given me a twinge.

you can get all sorts of hard & soft luggage for them as well as loads of accessories. i think i've got them all. :D

very easy & smooth to ride for a n00b, but still fast enough to give you a scare, and they handle brilliantly. they are quite heavy but they are still fine for medium offroading. i take mine over fields and round farm tracks all the time. that's when i'm happiest on the bike, i love it.

i honestly don't understand why everyone doesn't ride a big trailie. they do *everything* you could ever need.

some people say not to buy a new bike as soon as you've passed, but i don't regret it in the slightest. i didn't drop mine until about two years later. (just gentle offroad stuff.)

there are two large worldwide V-Strom communities on the web:

VSRI (my favourite)
Stromtrooper

and they tend to be an older crowd than your typical sports bike hooligans, so they're a good bunch of friendly helpful folk.

Suzuki Australia link. you can buy one brand new for $9990 but they've been out since 2004, so you should be able to pick up a used one for much less. i got mine for 0% over three years, which was too good an opportunity to resist. i was also able to bundle all the hard luggage and other accessories into the deal.

you should get down to your local dealer and give one a test ride, i guarantee you'll love it. as you can tell, i'm extremely passionate about these babies. any questions, just gimme a shout champ. %)

purplefirefly said:
Actually I do have a question about GPS's:

Can someone recommend a brand of GPS that I would be able to attach to my bike, also, do you think it would be hard to mount since I do not have a windshield (and have no desire at all to purchase one)?
from my v-strom forum:

Finally got myself sorted out with a GPS. After our Euro trip last year we swore we wouldn't do it again without one. The memory of our little faux pas in Geneva that caused us to be lost for about 3 hours in the dark - eventually resorting to hiring a taxi to lead us to our hotel - still haunts me yet...

Anyway! One Tom Tom One (v2) UK & Europe, with full street mapping all over Europe - £200 from Comet. (You can get it even cheaper online from Amazon etc. but I just HAD to buy one that day... :p) Plus a nice carry case from ebay for under a tenner:

dsc06588smallgo9.jpg

One handlebar mount from ebay - £18 delivered:

dsc06586smalllu9.jpg

Fitted:

dsc06590smalloh0.jpg
dsc06595smallwu0.jpg

It's not waterproof, so using the following ingredients:

dsc06602smalljy9.jpg

... one ghetto fabulous custom-made rainsuit ;)

dsc06601smallwv1.jpg

All in all I am delighted with this setup. Who needs to spend a fortune on a bike-specific unit? This does it all, I think.

\chuffed

Still need to fit a 12V power outlet to the bike though, cos the battery life on this one is only a shocking 2 hours. I had it in my head it was 8 hours when I bought it. Ah well, I always wanted one anyway.
i got a 12V marine grade socket for it as well, from ebay. i love it. :D

Last edited:
Ohhhhh I am really digging the handlebar mount! :)

I wonder if I can buy a mount for my existing GPS that I have in my car or if I need to get a whole new one for my bike....

I'll have to look into that!

Felix: How many miles have you put on your bike? Also, how many miles can you go before you start to feel sore (if you ever feel sore at all)?

delta_9 said:
I reeeeeeeealy wanna get a suzuki hayabusa %) but I'm broke

I really don't like the feel of sportsbikes. My friend had a Suzuki that she let me ride around a parking lot and it was incredibly uncomfortable. I felt like my ass was sticking up in the air.

I always feel bad when I see passengers on sportsbikes. There is no way at all that they could be comfortable! I would never want to ride any kind of distance on one of those bikes, I would turn into a hunch back LOL

I like my cruiser where I can ride for a couple hundred miles at least and not feel sore at all. :)

purplefirefly said:
Ohhhhh I am really digging the handlebar mount! :)

I wonder if I can buy a mount for my existing GPS that I have in my car or if I need to get a whole new one for my bike....

I'll have to look into that!

Felix: How many miles have you put on your bike? Also, how many miles can you go before you start to feel sore (if you ever feel sore at all)?
yep, it's really solid! :)

ebay.com is full of GPS mounts - just search for 'gps bike mount'.

about 13,500 miles now. on our Euro trips we were doing approx 4-500 miles a day without any real soreness.

Pizzlefizzlefizzle said:
I really don't like the feel of sportsbikes. My friend had a Suzuki that she let me ride around a parking lot and it was incredibly uncomfortable. I felt like my ass was sticking up in the air.

I always feel bad when I see passengers on sportsbikes. There is no way at all that they could be comfortable! I would never want to ride any kind of distance on one of those bikes, I would turn into a hunch back LOL

I like my cruiser where I can ride for a couple hundred miles at least and not feel sore at all.
I've never sat passenger on one but I can understand what you're saying. I agree they're not good for cross country or anything, but I wouldn't use it for that anyway. If I was gonna cruise I'd get one like yours, which I love btw :)

This summer I really want do a 7 state run through New England. I want to hit:

Massachusetts
New Hampshire
Vermont
Connecticut
Maine
Rhode Island
New York

I need to get a route worked out though, but I think it will be an awesome ride.

felix said:
yep, it's really solid! :)

ebay.com is full of GPS mounts - just search for 'gps bike mount'.

about 13,500 miles now. on our Euro trips we were doing approx 4-500 miles a day without any real soreness.

I just got my bike last year and unfortunately I didn't get that many miles under my belt. :(

I plan on doing some serious riding this summer, especially if the price of gas keeps going up as it has been!

I already have a ride planned for July. From what I have heard there will be tons of bikers attending this event and doing rides together.

There is nothing more empowering than riding in a large group. I've only done it one time so far (there were about 20 bikes total) and it was absolutely awesome!:)

delta_9 said:
Not in that order I hope ;)...kinda impossible :!

You're right it will probably go like this

New Hampshire
Maine
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
Vermont

:)

I want in, but I'd have to jump through hoops with work to make it happen.

I've got a 1982 GPz550 (mine in original spec, but it's a little different now. moving back to factory spec is my plan):
gpz550h1_web.jpg

^ classic! %)

you wouldn't believe how much we loved them back in school daze. :D

OK Im in although personally i reckon that so might be a better place but still, great idea Pff

Soon as I have time i will post a pic of my cdurrent trail bike and also what Im thinking about and preparing for.

Let me know if you do that trip, purplefirefly. Even if I cant do the whole thing with you, I can at least ride with you for part of it!

I want a Triumph Bonneville.

Triumph%20Bonneville%20800%2000.jpg

Just letting you guys know before my birthday in November. -hint hint-