• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

BL Meetup (VIC): Cycle Ride

Well Adam and I flogged it from Brighton past Olivers Hill and back, seems even ashphalt and battle scars can't stop a man with a will to ride :)

85km round trip.. not bad effort given whole parts of Adam's epidermis had been mashed into the ground on Thursday.

We found a nice peloton of our own on the way home and kept up 40-45km/h pace for a good 10km from Black Rock home.

Adam and I tried to do a bit of the work from the two poor bastards who were keeping us shielded from a nasty head wind but the minute we hit the front a typhoon tried to perform a bit of cycling fellatio and blow us over.. needless to say we left it for the two hero's that were sheilding us previously to take over.

I'm sure we'll be doing this again either next Sat or sometime soon. Muz, if you want to head down let us know.

Last edited:
^Twas a heap of fun .. and much more interesting and worthwhile with someone else to egg you on when the going gets a bit tough.. We kept up a good pace for most of the way, except when my bruised and battered leg decided to play up on me for a wee bit. When we went past a sign saying "Portsea 50km" i decided i'd best be heading back homeward in case my aching body packed up on me!!

Will be looking to make it comfortably over 100km for the round trip next time

I dare say we'll be making this a fairly regular thing, whenever employment and social lives allow it ;)

Muz - you might want to invest in a road bike my friend (you know you want to ;)), i think our cruising speed was around 35km/h .. not dissing your fitness but that would be tough on a mountain bike i should think! :)
But yes - come along!

When - just for the record, i'm working next weekend 29/7 , but am free Sat mornings every weekend in August.

Bump, we are heading out again at 8.30am on Saturday morning.

Meet at my place, PM for details if interested.

100km last weekend, so, hmmm, say 150 tomorrow? ;)

or not.

Wanted: large cyclist happy to sit in the wind at 35-40kmh for extended periods, for those moments/long minutes when we've run out of legs.

We'll see. Perhaps we'll get to the sign that says 'Welcome to Rosebud'.

I'm meant to be going for another shorter ride on Sunday hehe.

I'm thinking we might try the Hell Ride route - to Mt Eliza, loop through there and back home. 85km thereabouts. Hills. Pain. Masochism. Mmmmmm...

Will see who rocks up and see who's up for what on the day.

I will wave as you pass through Black Rock, if you like!

90km ride completed on Sat. Few ego's riding with us so there was a bit of sprinting and dick measuring and a lot of tired legs, but still a good challenging ride.

Onwards and upwards.

Ah but the K's are getting easier.
I'll be a happy man when i can just stand on the pedals and fly up Olivers Hill, and not be totally destroyed at the top. The slow grind just takes too long!

The occasional sprint was fun, but hey, we all know which sets of legs got home first :)

Choosing a new bike!!!

Hey Kids.
You guys might be able to give me a few tips somewhere here.

I'm looking at buying a new bike this weekend.
Only thing I've I like so far for what I (think) I need is the 'Giant Alias' 06 or 07 model.
CBD Cycles or the or the bike shop on cnr high and chapel are all ive really looked at so far.

Now, I dont want a road bike, prefer a mountain bike thats to be used in the city so nothing 8 inch of give in the suspension. If you can find a pic of the alias thats the look/shape im after.

Kona & GT have a similar bike but I havent actually seen one up close.

I know you should get a decent frame and build around that with add ons.
Thats about it.

So....What other things should I look for in a decent bike?
Or any other recommendations?

hey dude... this is my MTB, a Giant Trance :
tranceoneor8.jpg

I'm pretty familiar with the Giant, GT, Kona and Specialized MTBs as i did a shitload of looking not so long ago.
Sounds like you're only going to need front suspension (otherwise known as a "hardtail") and for value for money the Giant Alias (~$900) and Yukon (~$675) would be right up your alley. One step up which is a cool bike is the Talon, which is a bit lighter with better components.
All the aforementioned brands are reputable, have good warranties, and are pretty well specced for the money.

Kona make some good bikes, but for me they just looked a bit "chunky", more like a teenager would ride. But you might like them more than i did.

Look these up for good bike shops with webbies :
The Freedom Machine
Lygon Cycles
Ivanhoe Cycles
Lawrencia Cycles (hawthorn)
Brunswick Street Cycles
Goldcross Cycles (theres about 10 of them around the place)

Remember you can bargain with these guys, it's easy to get 10-15% off retail just by asking.
Take a few for a ride, see how they feel... ultimately if you're fairly new to it all they'll all feel the same, so get one that looks the goods with decent componentry that will make you want to ride it ... and if you relaly get into it and learn more about it you can upgrade later on.

happy shopping :)

ykno how bad is that- I never did join duckboy n ruski for a ride. True BL'er piker fashion ey =D
my bike still sits up against the wall gathering dust
*lowers head and eyes in shame*

u guys still riding together? If I was to actually finally join you, well the distances you are both clocking up these days wouldn't be appealing to someone outta the saddle so long such as myself....

^ we were until Xmas-ish time.. but i'm studying like mad for an exam and Ruski kinda left the country for a while (he mentioned something about a booming cash crop and love-child quintuplets) but i'm sure we'll get back into it in earnest soon.

He's been running and i've been MTBing more lately so IF you get your lazy ass back on the saddle i'm sure you will fit right in when we kick off again with the roadies. Would be good to see you out there :)