Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Television Better Call Saul

Guys Breaking Bad starts off slow too trust me this show will be something special. Vince Gilligan writes amazing material with incredible character growth. I know this show is going to be the real deal.

Guys Breaking Bad starts off slow too trust me this show will be something special. Vince Gilligan writes amazing material with incredible character growth. I know this show is going to be the real deal.
100% agree, my only comment on that was with BB there was the known drug aspect and while slow you BB hooked you in the first ep on the promise of more to come.

With BCS, that hook is only there if you have trust in Vince or a previous BB fan. For the new viewer they could easily switch off before giving it enough time to become something.

I thought the first couple of episodes were pretty good, but there was a bit too much stuff for the Breaking Bad fans inserted artificially.

NSFW:
Tuco and Mike Ehrmantraut already, after only 2 episodes?

...and a scene out in the middle of the desert where somebody has a gun to their head, and they talk their way out of it?
Seems awfully familiar.

There were a couple of scenes that fell completely flat, for me, (like the conference room scene) and - overall - there appeared to be a considerably heavier reliance on close-up stylized montages than BB, which indicates - to me - that they're already struggling in the editing room.

The narrative formula is similar, also. They've gone out of their way establishing the protagonist as a good man and justifying the reasons for his wrong doings. We are forced to empathize with him, because he's being "forced into a life of crime"... Except, this time, I don't really buy it.

I was expecting (or hoping for) something a bit different to Breaking Bad.
But it seems like we're going to get a watered down Breaking Bad 2.0, with a different leading actor.

Vince Gilligan writes amazing material with incredible character growth.

Does he, though?
He wrote some of the worst episodes of The X-Files... and he wrote Hancock, which I liked... but, aside from that, what has he done?
It's too early to say with any certainty, but I get the impression that he's just stretching the BB formula into another show.

Breaking Bad starts off slow too

The pilot of Breaking Bad was much better than the pilot for Better Call Saul, IMO.

Last edited:
Though if you look at it as laying the background/ground work for what is to come, it does have a huge amount of potential to be as good or better than BB if they ramp it up and drop some of the less believable/silly sections out.

Yip, I agree, it does have potential. I just guess that I've seen numerous series go down the line of more accessible 'silliness' when they run out of quality, clever, somewhat darker material. South Park and Peep Show both come to mind for being guilty of this, though both have reclaimed themselves eventually. I just hate it when I find myself cringing at the portrayal of humour in something like this, especially when it was previously good. A lot of people don't seem to mind, but like I say, it does seem to make it more accesible, so that is a given.

I dunno, the first episode of Breaking Bad was pretty captivating. I do agree with regards to Vince Gilligan though. The character growth on breaking bad was sublime, and it's intriguing to know that we will see both Saul and Mike grow into the characters we knew on breaking bad.

Edit: I've just had another thought, and I really don't mean to tarnish this thread with cynicism and negativity. But another thing that irks me are the two brothers who were skateboarding. Their characters just seemed so badly acted and misplaced. Almost like these unreal vaguely Napoleon Dynamite esque characters. How old were they meant to be? It kind of seemed like they'd hired a couple of actors approaching 30 to play the parts of a couple of seventeen year old kids.

Some parts were good though. I am optimistic. I think. As others have mentioned, I have faith in the characters we know and the director.

Last edited:
Yip, I agree, it does have potential. I just guess that I've seen numerous series go down the line of more accessible 'silliness' when they run out of quality, clever, somewhat darker material. South Park and Peep Show both come to mind for being guilty of this, though both have reclaimed themselves eventually. I just hate it when I find myself cringing at the portrayal of humour in something like this, especially when it was previously good. A lot of people don't seem to mind, but like I say, it does seem to make it more accesible, so that is a given.

I dunno, the first episode of Breaking Bad was pretty captivating. I do agree with regards to Vince Gilligan though. The character growth on breaking bad was sublime, and it's intriguing to know that we will see both Saul and Mike grow into the characters we knew on breaking bad.

Edit: I've just had another thought, and I really don't mean to tarnish this thread with cynicism and negativity. But another thing that irks me are the two brothers who were skateboarding. Their characters just seemed so badly acted and misplaced. Almost like these unreal vaguely Napoleon Dynamite esque characters. How old were they meant to be? It kind of seemed like they'd hired a couple of actors approaching 30 to play the parts of a couple of seventeen year old kids.

Some parts were good though. I am optimistic. I think. As others have mentioned, I have faith in the characters we know and the director.

Did they mention their age or is it possible they are just older slackers still living with their parents?

Did they mention their age or is it possible they are just older slackers still living with their parents?

I guess it could be, but that just seems a little strange unless something transpires regarding this later in the series. They certainly seemed to be dressed like they were young though.

I dunno, I just thought their characters seemed somewhat misplaced and badly acted.

Saul should bump into a young Walter White on the street, and they just like glance at each other for a second.
That would be totally fucking epic, yo...

As for the skater guys, they struck me as just 2 stoners who skate, probably around 24-28 years old and they're bums who just want to get high and skate forever so they pull some shady scam, there they go, money for weed, food, etc plus my guess is that they still live with mom and/or dad so they don't spend as much as if they had an apartment to pay rent on too. I say this because i know people who are in their late 20's who pull scams to avoid getting a real job, to pay for dope and they still act 17 years old and dress like teenagers too.

I guess that makes sense.

Saul should bump into a young Walter White on the street, and they just like glance at each other for a second.
That would be totally fucking epic, yo...

I wouldn't be surprised if this happens. Gonna be a fair few 'easter eggs' I reckon.

NSFW:
"You're the worst lawyer, the worst lawyer ever!"
[Hey, I talked you down from a death sentence to 6 months probation, I'm the best lawyer ever.]

As he wheels dude in with a destroyed knee/leg, lmfao

Not the greatest but the show's caught my attention (I don't have any specific complaints really.) I hope it only gets better, though... I don't want to lose interest halfway through the season. This one's got a lot of potential, I think.

The writers said they are purposely leaving Walt and Jesse out because they don't want the show to turn into a show about them.

My proposal is that at some point we will see hank, skyler or marie briefly feature in the background at a gas station or something.

There are surely going to be a fair few 'easter eggs' (do people still use that term?).

Is the show any good at all? Is it set in Albuquerque NM?

Yes, it's good. Certainly worth a watch.
Despite my criticisms, I'm looking forward to the next episode more than any other show...

And, yes, it's set in Albuquerque.

I'm enjoying it but my only criticism is i feel like some scene's are heavily over-emphasized where the point was established in the first moment and they just keep re-iterating, i know this was done in breaking-bad from time to time and it drove me nuts.. looks like i'll have to deal with it again, apart from that it seems pretty cool.

I'll give it a chance.

Is the show any good at all? Is it set in Albuquerque NM?
I was wondering the same thing.
I´ve been in Albuquerque, NM. There´s really nothing going on there. It´s like being in different country. So calm, so different.
Indian 'prints' still remains. The landscape is beautiful..