• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian centric "Pro drug law reform" thread - how to do your bit

Queenslanders might consider starting an e-petition which is formally presented in Parliament. E-petitions can be signed over the internet. They, first, must be sponsered by a State Government representative. For more information see the Queensland Government website at http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions

I think this is exactly what needs to be done for the short term. Having some of the strictest state laws - and only getting worse, a well backed petition presented in parliament would probably get some localised queensland media attention at least. Gets the ball rolling so to speak.

Any idea's for an open minded representitive to approach..?

------------------------------------

On an unrelated matter, as of this week I can no longer take a stroll down the street and by some quality glassware everytime I smash the bong.

I dont fancy shortening the garden hose everytime this happens while I wait for a new one to come in the mail. Victorian state government is now forcing me to smoke from plastic devices, with god only knows what type of carcinogenic compound making their way into my lungs. Fucking brilliant :|

This, is war.

EDIT:: Yet you can still by meth pipes. 8(

Shameless bump in response to recent media coverage in favour of our cause.

Will have the Newbies guide to drug law reform updated in the next few hours.
In the mean time, spam some letters to MP's. If ever there's a time they need to be heard, its now.

Also jump on the Getup campaign suggestion form, template provided. They havent had the balls to take on this issue yet, but with a few big names now on board (Minister for foreign affairs) they might finally touch it. These guys get media attention, gutless they might be - they can put ad's in the paper. We cant...

Last edited:
Writin to local MP's and onto senators nxt, this will be interesting response for the area i hope from @ least one of em.:\

Well how about this for a first -

Dear xxxxx (me),

I'd just like to drop you a quick line to say thanks - it's always great to hear suggestions like this. You're certainly not the only one to have suggested a campaign on this, and I'll be sure to pass on your thoughts on to the campaigners.

All the best,

Sarah for the GetUp! team
www.getup.org.au

---------------------------------------------------

Personal (non-automated) reply from getup! Might actually be getting somewhere =D More campaign suggestions please!

The Queensland Parliament 'e-petitions' website now has a petition supporting the "Need for medically-supervised injecting facilities in Queensland". Though it has nothing to do with legalisation (as drug legalisatiion is a federal, not State, issue), it is a great start for genuine harm reduction in Queensland. Simply go to http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/work-of-assembly/petitions/e-petitions and scroll down to the relevant petition, and then, follow the instructions.

With the elections getting closer, I thought this thread could do with a bump.

Might have already been mentioned, but, has anyone who is capable considered writing a nicely articulated letter template and providing it for lots of us to send in to our MPs?

I know from my time reading about the dreaded internet filter that this was how the enemy (Christian lobby groups) operated at the time. Basically someone in the organisation writes a letter up and emails it out to all the members who sign and send in. In some cases they add their own $0.02 to the bottom.

Not hope in hell that changes to drug laws will become an election issue or even get mention by the lib's or labor this time around, especially with the gay marriage talk. No way we will get both, and I think it makes sense we aim for equal rights for gays first then look at drug law. I mean it would be pretty disappointing if we made major changes to drug law before giving equal rights to gay and lesbians.

^ Politics isn't about a single issue, that's a very simplistic view you have. Let's not bring up drug law reform because of another issue that's being talked about? That doesn't make any sense mate.

I think it makes sense we aim for equal rights for gays first then look at drug law. I mean it would be pretty disappointing if we made major changes to drug law before giving equal rights to gay and lesbians.

TheFuck are you talking about? equal rights for gays first, gays aren't being persecuted, prosecuted, locked up and have their lives ruined by current legislature.
How about we look at at equal rights for drug users! at the minimum decriminalising so users have the equal right being able to consume a substance of their choice without being incarcerated.
And THEN we can look at gays who have equal rights except for being able to enter into statutory marriage which is essentially a semantic argument over the usage of the word marriage since de-facto relationships are given equal standing in Australian Law.

I mean it would be pretty disappointing if we made major changes to drug law before giving equal rights to gay and lesbians.
No it really would not be disappointing, surely you've got to be trolling.

I've been a lurker for years. I've heard lots of crap on this forum but decided to sign up after reading what gimpan wrote about gays and lesbians being able to get married vs. drug law reform. Oldirtybizza beat me to it.

I mean WTF!!! One's personal sexual preference is no different to one's personal choice to use some drug other than alcohol, tobacco or caffeine. Being able to get married in a same sex relationship is pretty much the icing on the cake with regards to non-discrimination, what with finally being able to get the pretty wedding, or the warm fuzzy feeling of recognion as a same sex couple, or even whatever financial benefits there are that conventional married couples have been able to get. Compare this with the constant threat of having your freedom taken away, potentially having your home intruded upon without invitation (it has happened to me) or your phone tapped, pouring tens of thousands of dollars down the drain in legal fees, and geneally having a state sponsored force (that we pay good money in taxes) attemping at any costs to pull apart you, your family and your community all because you like to smoke a little weed or have the odd pill.
Seriously, pull your head out of your arse. And before you judge me as a hater I am pretty much as far from a homophobe as you can get.

TheFuck are you talking about? equal rights for gays first, gays aren't being persecuted, prosecuted, locked up and have their lives ruined by current legislature.
How about we look at at equal rights for drug users! at the minimum decriminalising so users have the equal right being able to consume a substance of their choice without being incarcerated.
And THEN we can look at gays who have equal rights except for being able to enter into statutory marriage which is essentially a semantic argument over the usage of the word marriage since de-facto relationships are given equal standing in Australian Law.

No it really would not be disappointing, surely you've got to be trolling.

No way we will get both, and I think it makes sense we aim for equal rights for gays first then look at drug law. I mean it would be pretty disappointing if we made major changes to drug law before giving equal rights to gay and lesbians.

Are you fucking joking? I can tell you that legalizing gay marriage will do nothing for the community other than allowing them to have a piece of paper that says they're a couple. We're already being recognized as legitimate couples and de facto relationships have all the benefits of marriage (you can go through a de facto divorce if either party is vicious enough and they have equal right to half your shit) without a certificate.

I'd much rather them ignore the marriage issue so they can move forward with the decriminalization of drugs.

Compare this with the constant threat of having your freedom taken away, potentially having your home intruded upon without invitation (it has happened to me) or your phone tapped, pouring tens of thousands of dollars down the drain in legal fees, and geneally having a state sponsored force (that we pay good money in taxes) attemping at any costs to pull apart you, your family and your community all because you like to smoke a little weed or have the odd pill.

I've had all this happen to me (just for cannabis) and it's much more affronting to me as a person than not being able to get married.

I am only being realistic when I said we couldn't have both, I would like to see changes to drug laws in Australia, but I would prefer to see the embarrassing "seperate but equal" laws regarding same sex marriage amended first, Thats all.

Are you fucking joking? I can tell you that legalizing gay marriage will do nothing for the community other than allowing them to have a piece of paper that says they're a couple. We're already being recognized as legitimate couples and de facto relationships have all the benefits of marriage (you can go through a de facto divorce if either party is vicious enough and they have equal right to half your shit) without a certificate.

I'd much rather them ignore the marriage issue so they can move forward with the decriminalization of drugs.

I've had all this happen to me (just for cannabis) and it's much more affronting to me as a person than not being able to get married.

You can tell me it will do nothing for the community? Dont you think same sex couples should have the same rights as hetro couples when it comes to adoption? Do you really think that's not a big deal for people?

Re-read my post clowns, I simply voiced my opinion that theres no chance of changes to drug laws being an election issue this year, and if there was a choice between gay and lesbians having the same rights as everyone else and changes to drug laws I would choose the former.

Last edited:
You can tell me it will do nothing for the community? Dont you think same sex couples should have the same rights as hetro couples when it comes to adoption? Do you really think that's not a big deal for people?

You realize that same sex couples can adopt children in Australia right?

Adoption for same-sex couples is currently available in Australian Capital Territory (since 2004), New South Wales (since 2010), Western Australia (since 2002),[23] and in Tasmania (since 2013).[24] In Queensland, Northern Territory, Victoria and South Australia, same-sex couples cannot legally adopt a child under their adoption legislation,[25] but can become foster parents.[26]

I do think that same sex couples deserve the same rights when it comes to everything, but seriously, it's not like it's illegal.

As a gay guy and a drug user, I feel that the drug issue is more important.

You realize that same sex couples can adopt children in Australia right?

I do think that same sex couples deserve the same rights when it comes to everything, but seriously, it's not like it's illegal.

As a gay guy and a drug user, I feel that the drug issue is more important.

So separate but equal is fine with you?

As straight guy and a drug user I feel the same sex rights issue is more importent.

No it's not fine with me. As I said, the drug issue is more important in my eyes. There is nothing (other than the right to a marriage certificate) that isn't already legal (somewhere) in Australia for same sex couples.

I'd much rather not be treated like a criminal wherever I go, before being allowed to adopt in part of Australia.

Treated like a criminal everywhere you go? give me a fucking break! You live in Australia!!

So you'd rather see thousands of people face imprisonment, fines, harassment and possible career choices taken away from them effectively ruining their lives in some cases, so that some people can have a piece of paper and the ability to adopt children first?

*This is an oversimplification of things

Last edited:
While I think both are reasonable important, there is one which is currently loved by the media, the other has always been shunned by the media. I think more important issues usually are.