• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian centric "Pro drug law reform" thread - how to do your bit

I don't think that "members of the organisation" have anything to do with it. Getup have a great track record for being AGAINST anything remotely to do with drugs. A spokesperson for them were adamantly against the campaign for our Garden Freedom because of drugs, when the whole garden freedom thing really has nothing to do with stopping the creation of drugs, it's just complete idiocy from people with no idea.

I don't have an exact quote on hand and I couldn't be bothered looking for one because I'm drunk, but in my opinion the GetUp organisation is a piece of shit and if you think they will "tarnish their good name" with anything related to drugs, think again.

Research their response to the garden freedom thing before you think about supporting, donating, or even thinking about this "activist" group.

Yeah fuck GetUp. They achieved some good things in the past, but are playing it way too safe now and after the Garden Freedom debacle they can go fuck themselves in my opinion.

It's important to remember that Getup has quite a low of money thrown into certain campaign's by the religious political conservatives. Yes, they have done some good things in the past - but they are by no means an idealistic left wing movement as some would praise them to be.

^ Off topic, but though I definitely want to see progression in the drug legality area in most other areas of politics and social issues I would consider myself either centrist or to the right. Maybe that's why I have a fair bit of contempt for GetUp! and other activist organizations that are overtly left leaning.

Letter to the Editor - Template

Consider writing to the editor of your local newspaper. IF you like, you can use the below letter template.

[Insert your name]
[Insert your address]
[Insert your telephone number]

To the Editor,

Since the introduction of the National Drug Strategy (NDS) into Australia in 1985, more and more people are using illegal drugs (as indicated by growing numbers of drug-related arrests). The NDS, focused as it is, on harm minimisation, and underpinned by supply-reduction, demand-reduction, and harm-reduction strategies, has resulted in a mixed bag of outcomes, not all good, depending on the drug of choice.

While numbers of cigarette users have declined remarkably, illegal drug use has continued to rise. The reason for these conflicting results is due to sound drug policy on tobacco, on the one hand, and poorly developed policy on illicit drugs.

The underlying issue concerns the legality of drugs. Tobacco, for instance, is a highly regulated product. Tobacco farmers must be licensed; there are age restrictions on who can purchase tobacco products; warning labels are displayed on cigarette packs; and all tobacco purchases include GST tax. This is completely contrary to Government policy on illicit drugs.

For organised criminals involved in the production of illegal drugs, there are no licensing requirements; they sell to anybody, irrespective of age; they do not display warning labels on their packs; nor do illegal drug purchases require GST to be paid. It is, effectively a tax free business.

On these facts alone, surely it is better to have a legal, and regulated drug-market, then an illegal, unregulated one? The revenue collected by the Government through tax would be more than enough to introduce effective prevention, rehabilitation and treatment services.

Something must be done!

Yours Faithfully

[Insert your name]

Organised Crime on the Gold Coast Exposed

All this week Brisbane's paper "The Courier Mail" has been highlighting the influence of organised crime and drugs on the Gold Coast.

Some of you might like to write a letter to the editor explaining your views (eg. legalisation would reduce organsed crime and help increase access to health services).

Email your letter here at http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/editors

^ Thanks for the links Seth. I think I'll write off to the Courier Mail regarding that article... and that ABC report looks very interesting. :)

Tots on Pot

You might like to respond to the article published in 'The Sunday Mail' (The Courier Mail's Sunday edition), titled 'Tots on Pot' (read full article at http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...en-2009-and-2010/story-e6freoof-1226167493286)

While truthful, it ignores the underlining issue, ie. the need for genuine drug law reform, not simply relying on law enforcement models.

I strongly urge you to email the editor at http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/editorials/letters-form

Perth CHOGM meeting

The Perth CHOGM meeting would be an excellent opportunity to garner global support for our cause. Highlighting the negative health effects of poor drug laws would be a good way to unite AIDS/HIV groups, Gay/Lesbian groups and drug using groups such as HEMP WA (see facebook). The CHOGM Action Network would also be a helpful group to connect with.

They could, possiblly united under a'Support the Vienna Declaration' banner. Any people from WA out there? I won't be in WA at this time, so i'm unable to attend.

Good luck protesting at CHOGM.
The entire CBD is in lock down. I'm glad I'm off work that week as getting to and from my office would be a royal pain in the ass by the looks. Traffic stops, random sexual assault (aka 'frisking') by police who decide they like the look of your junk, po po are allowed to demand to go through your phone etc.
http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/police-have-action-plan-for-protests-20111003-1l51b.html

http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/49106

Also I don't see why drug law reform needs to be connected with leftist economics. It's probably not going to help either cause.
Why can't sensible drug policy just be a policy unto itself? Getup and other lefty organisations sometimes claim to be for drug law reform, but really I think it’s just to try to recruit more members to add weight to their other campaigns.
Not everyone who wants drugs legalised agrees with all of the rest of the greens policies. I work hard (in mining), get paid well and happen to enjoy illicit substances. Economically I’m centre-right leaning, but if I want to vote to change drug laws, my vote also goes to a party that would pretty much like to shut down the industry I work in.

Liberal Party members support drug law reform

Drug law reform is no longer considered a 'lefty' topic. Federal Liberal members Mal Washer and Judi Moylan have shown their support too. see (Berg, C. (July 17, 2011). War to end war on drugs gains allies on right flank. The Age. Retrieved from http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/wa...ins-allies-on-right-flank-20110716-1hj4p.html. Downloaded 17/10/2011.)

Also, it would be hard to argue that LEAP Australia is a left wing instituiton, afterall, they consist of law enforcement people within their ranks. Personally, I think our cause needs to be fought from both sides, bottom-up by lefties, and top-down by current and former bureacrats such as police/corrective services/the judiciary etc. This is what's called in military circles I think, as a pincer movement.

Admittedly, this is only my humble opinion. One could argue that Washer and Moylan are execeptions to the rule. My understanding is that they are also members of the Parliamentary Group for Drug Law Reform.

Last edited:
It will be true that Drug law reform, being either or a combination of decriminalisation/legalisation could see the money currently ending up in the hands of criminals being diverted to government in the form of taxation (similar to controls on alcohol and tobacco). Plant Medicines

Ways to get involved in reform/activism?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but here goes anyway.

I'm looking to get involved in the reform of drug laws in this country, or any form of research into the effects of psychedelic drugs on human consciousness, health and mental health.

Can anyone help me out with some links or ideas?

Yo zyzzvya,

I'm going to move this over the fence to AusDD and merge it with the "Drug Law Reform" thread mentioned above.

~JoshE

My teacher spoke to my class about how he believes the legalization of drugs would benefit so many, and he changed a fair few people's minds.
I also had my say on the subject, thought it was good :)

So there's a few more educated Australians out there after today :D