Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Australian centric "Pro drug law reform" thread - how to do your bit

L3inad

Bluelighter
Something like this could already exist, if so merge away.

Right, so currently I hear countless comments expressing anger and frustration regarding prohibition laws posted throughout AusDD. It seems a great deal of people on this forum, and from the general public are less then happy with the current laws and would like to see them revised to incorporate decriminalization and/or legalization.

What I think is preventing this change is simply a lack of avenues for people to express these feelings and get heard by those in a position to change the situation.

So the purpose of this thread is to provide a one stop shop for people wanting change and to provide a selection of suitable ways for them to actively work towards this goal.

I for one want to do my bit, but don't really know where to start.

What I'd like to see in this thread:
  • Postal/email addresses of all relevant state and federal MP's
  • Links to community groups/activist organizations focused on drug law reform, and ways to contact them
  • Notification of any protests/events happening in the country and how to get involved

Essentially any information that's relevant to the push for drug law reform within australia.

Ultimately I'd like to do a step by step guide on how to do your part in pushing for a sensible drug policy, but I'll save that for after a few suggestions have been made.

Just wanted to get this down before I forgot, I'll come back and start collating information when I get some time.

Ver 1.0 "Newbies guide to drug law reform"

Online contributions (petitions etc)

http://www.getup.org.au/community/campaign-suggestions
300px-GetUp_Action_for_Australia_logo.png

Getup campaign suggestion form || Template for submission below.
"The war on drugs is lost, and has been conceded so by even our own foreign affairs minister Bob Carr.

Its time for a sensible approach to drug policy, one based around decriminalisation and harm reduction. We don't need to be putting our population behind bars or out of work due to a criminal record.
What goes into our bodies is our choice, and we shouldn't be punished for enjoying ourselves in what I'm told is a free country.

Prohibition serves only to profit criminals, and if the last century is any indication - it clearly doesn't work. Drug use is as popular as its ever been, its time to accept they're here to stay and to deal with the issue in a sensible manner.

Getup needs to tackle this issue and bring it further into the public eye. Its clear there is great support for this issue, its time getup took it on board."

http://www.avaaz.org/en/end_the_war_on_drugs/?copy
petition.jpg

International online petition to end the war on drugs

http://www.viennadeclaration.com/
The-Vienna-Declaration.jpg

"The criminalisation of illicit drug users is fuelling the HIV epidemic and has resulted in
overwhelmingly negative health and social consequences. A full policy reorientation is needed"

This is an international petition (not australian centric) however its still relevant to our cause. Sign away ;) (Kudos to Seith_Heinman)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro drug law reform groups-

http://adlrf.org.au/
adlrfial.gif

Australian Drug Law Reform Foundation

------------------------------------

http://www.leapaustralia.org/ (kudo's to Divine Moments post #2)
LEAP.jpg

Contact via :: [email protected]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members for parliament relevant to our cause -
Any letters written to these MP's will be read by somebody and if enough people express their concerns then these MP's may eventually raise the issue in parliament, and get behind it themselves. (Fingers crossed?)

These are the people who can make the changes we want to see, so its crucial that the message gets across to them in a big way.

Postal letters are more likely to get heard and seem to add more weight to an issue than emails. Email is still highly worthwhile if not wanting to to go the postal route. Below is a sample letter you can add your name/relevant MP to make things easier to get the message across. Please use it - or bettter yet, write your own! ;D

"Dear [relevant MP title]
Many public figures in politics as well as law enforcement are starting to express their concern regarding the current drug prohibition laws. Former NSW Police Commissioner Ryan, while charged with cleaning up corruption in the police force was quick to realise the major cause of the problem, that being drug prohibition.

Prohibition has meant that criminals control the distribution of illegal drugs, making enormous tax free profits but having little regard to the quality or purity of the drugs. It is the profit in illegal drugs that drives the crime rate.

Mr Ryan's responsibility is only for the police force but he cannot help but see the tragedy and the misery that flows from our present prohibition drug laws.

Currently Australia has one of the highest recreational drug use rates (per capita) in the world, the amount of money our citizens are spending on their weekend fun is astonishing and it all ends up funding organised crime.

If nearly 100 years of prohibition has taught us anything, it is that the public will continue to use despite the law. Recreational drugs are as popular as they have ever been, and completely unregulated. This often leads to adulterated products that could be potentially dangerous to users. This needs to change.

Drug law reform, being either or a combination of decriminalisation/legalisation could see the money currently ending up in the hands of criminals being diverted to government in the form of taxation (similar to controls on alcohol and tobacco). This represents a massive amount of revenue which could be spent providing better health care and support for drug users. Also a ‘harm minimisation’ policy must be adopted in order to educate users on the choices they make and ways to enjoy themselves in a safe and responsible manner.

I hope this gets heard and steps are made to rectify this grave injustice.

Yours sincerely,
[insert name here]"

-------------
The Prime Minister's office

http://www.pm.gov.au/contact-your-pm

----------------

The Hon Nicola Roxon MP
Title: Minister for Health and Ageing.

Party: Australian Labor Party

Parliament House Contact
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6277 7220
Fax: (02) 6273 4146

Email: [email protected]
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The Hon Mark Butler MP
Title: Minister for Mental Health and Ageing.

Party: Australian Labor Party

Parliament House Contact
PO Box 6022
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600

Tel: (02) 6277 7280
Fax: (02) 6273 4138

Email contact form-
http://www.aph.gov.au/house/members/memfeedback.asp?id=HWK
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
A lot of people including myself complain about the current drugs laws. My friend asked me once, what do you think is a better way of going about it, taking into account that a lot of people are unable to control their drug use in a responsible way. I know my thoughts on the subject, but I'm really curious on what some people on Bluelight have to say on the matter.

A lot of people including myself complain about the current drugs laws. My friend asked me once, what do you think is a better way of going about it, taking into account that a lot of people are unable to control their drug use in a responsible way. I know my thoughts on the subject, but I'm really curious on what some people on Bluelight have to say on the matter.

that is why all sales MUST be recorded and there are limits to how often you can buy it. (Asif that will happen though lol)

There is a LEAP Australia website but it only has a cover page with absolutely no information or contact details. On further research it seems to have a connection with our good friends in Nimbin as another search linked LEAP to Mardigrass. Hopefully once the 'smoke' clears in the web designers office we might get some more info on LEAP's indoctrination into Australia.

Have controls similar to that of alcohol and tobacco. The public gets what they want, the government taxes the living shit out of it. Saves money on fighting the war on drugs and can spend the savings and profits from tax to providing better support systems. And god knows there'd be enough left over to pay the politicians a big fat bonus :|

There's always going to be train wreck cases of people pushing things to far regardless of the law and substances available. Drug law reform would result in the money currently going to organized crime being diverted into providing appropriate means of controlling these substances and looking after anyone adversely affected by their use. Win win all round.

that is why all sales MUST be recorded and there are limits to how often you can buy it. (Asif that will happen though lol)

Like how it works with codeine and pseudoephedrine? ;)

I think that when things become de-regulated, it should be done through government run outlets similar to pharmacies where a qualified professional can dispense the substances and give advice and ensure that the customer does not have any contraindications to the substance in question. Information should probably be recorded as well, so that excessive or dangerous use can be monitored.

Hell they should get pharmacists to do it; would clear up the glut of pharmacists coming out of university these days.

As for the topic of the thread; I think that people with views along the lines of Bluelight users need to get themselves into positions where they can influence change. Politicians, law enforcement, health professionals, bureaucrats, etc. That's what I'm planning on doing anyway. :)

As for the topic of the thread; I think that people with views along the lines of Bluelight users need to get themselves into positions where they can influence change. Politicians, law enforcement, health professionals, bureaucrats, etc. That's what I'm planning on doing anyway. :)

+1 to that!

Also happens to be my own grand plan =) After I get rich and famous of course =D

I think that when things become de-regulated, it should be done through government run outlets similar to pharmacies where a qualified professional can dispense the substances and give advice and ensure that the customer does not have any contraindications to the substance in question. Information should probably be recorded as well, so that excessive or dangerous use can be monitored.

My concern would be who could potentially have access to this information, and if it could potentially come back to bite people in positions of power (cops, politicians, doctors, etc.) if it were somehow revealed. I guess there'd need to be a whole paradigm shift in society to accompany these changes so that may not be an issue when the time comes.

Another issue is that job drug testing would likely skyrocket. Not bad in principle (as most people who get tested really shouldn't be under the influence on the job), but the issues around false +ves and the duration for which drugs can be detected could be problematic :\

On it ;)

Oh here's a great place to join, get info and help with the cause.

http://adlrf.org.au/

Alex Wodak is arguably Australia's no. 1 high profile campaigners for drug reform.

My concern would be who could potentially have access to this information, and if it could potentially come back to bite people in positions of power (cops, politicians, doctors, etc.) if it were somehow revealed. I guess there'd need to be a whole paradigm shift in society to accompany these changes so that may not be an issue when the time comes.

Thats entirely down to the choices made by those people. But you are right, a public opinion shift would be required for public figures to use openly without copping flak. But I think that shift is well on the way, and would be complete come time for legalization. By such time I'd like to hope that sharing a joint before dinner is as socially acceptable as opening a bottle of wine.

Another issue is that job drug testing would likely skyrocket. Not bad in principle (as most people who get tested really shouldn't be under the influence on the job), but the issues around false +ves and the duration for which drugs can be detected could be problematic :\

False positives are only an issue due to the specificity of tests, if results are disputed by employees more specific tests can be carried out.
Duration is still an issue, but there's no reason the same methods used to control alcohol consumption couldn't be used. ie. the breathalyzer. The same technology is easily adapted for other chemicals, and a similar scale for blood drug concentration vs inebriation could be established as for alcohol.

IF drugs do ever become legal or quasi legal there should not be any restrictions or controls (apart from an age requirement) to buying. It wont work, never will and will just be another attempt at a controlling influence which ultimately ends up with media beatups blaming everyone else but the person that got themselves out of control and od'ed. The answer is education, give the masses the information and let them make the choice and be responsible for it. I can go out right now and buy a lethal dose of scotch but I have enough education on drinking to know how to avoid that lethal dose and enjoy the social and personal effects of a moderate sample.

Same goes for tobacco, if you have been to countries such as Indonesia there is very little information from the government that tells you smoking is bad for you and smoking over there is almost a requirement. On the other hand our government knows how much smoking costs our health system, therefore they educate us and less than 25% of our population smoke.

With an honest and factual policy of drug education and harm reduction initiatives legalising drugs is not as complex as prohibiting them.

I have been meaning to draft a letter which others can fill in the blanks and email/post to the relevant parties.

Is there anyone on here who could proof/edit the letter? Preferably someone who works in a associated field.