• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aus Social favourite recipe thread

i make a concoction my dughter and i call pirate pies (it was the only way i could get her to eat meat)

lay out a sheet of puff pastry, put a couple of slices of cheese in the middle.
mix some veggies through some mince (you can also add some gravy) and put a big chunk of it on top of the cheese. fold the pastry up to the middle, sealing all the innereds inside.
flip it over so the cheese part is at the top, lightly brush the top with butter/oil and srinkle with sesame seeds and powdered parmesan cheese.
wack it on a baking tray and bake at 180°C for about 30mins until golden brown and crunchy :)

Seafood Risotto:

600g Mussels (with shells)
200 ml cheap white wine
2 1/2 cups fish stock from cubes
Large king prawns (raw/green) any ammount.
Squid rings, any amount
2 Tbsp olive oil
75g butter
1 white onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp grated ginger
3 cups arborio rice
Lemon juice from half a lemon
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp saffron threads soaked in 2 tbsp warm water
2 small tomatoes, diced
1 tbsp chopped fresh basil (or more)
Lots of chopped fresh parsley
2 tbsp grated parmesan
1/4 cup fresh cream
(I usually chuck in more seafood like clams, morton bay bugs, crab, shell and all but I realise most other people don't like the more exotic seafood/crustaceans... even though, imo the crustaceans add more seafood flavour for stock)

1. Heat wine and fish stock in pot and add mussels. Cook, covered, for 3 minutes. Remove mussels, try not to take any of the stock with them. Discard shells.

2. Do the same with the prawns and squid. Don't overcook. After, remove any sediments in the stock and keep it simmering on low fire.

3. Heat olive oil and 1/3 of the butter in saucepan, then add onion, garlic and ginger. 2 minutes later, add rice and stir to coat.

4. Add 1/2 cup of the stock, stirring constantly over medium heat until liquid is absorbed. Add saffron and soaking liquid. Continue adding stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until all the stock is absorbed by the rice.

5.Return seafood to the rice and add tomato, basil and parsley. Remove from heat and stir in parmesan, cream, remaining butter and lemon juice. Mix well and serve.

Accompanied with White wine of your choice. I usually like to have some tomotoe juice (chilled), with alot of fresh natural oysters. Makes for a great night.

Oooh, sounds yum Diacetylus... I might try that for my next attempt at risotto!

for those who like spicy with an afterbite

Szechaun prawns
INGREDIENTS:
• 120 ml water
• 60 ml ketchup
• 30 ml soy sauce
• 10 g cornstarch
• 10 ml honey
• 3 g crushed red pepper
• 0.9 g ground ginger
• 30 ml vegetable oil
• 50 g sliced green onions
• 8 cloves garlic, minced
• 670 g prawns,
DIRECTIONS:
1. In a bowl, stir together water, ketchup, soy sauce, cornstarch, honey, crushed red pepper, and ground ginger. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in green onions and garlic; cook 30 seconds. Stir in shrimp, and toss to coat with oil. Stir in sauce. Cook and stir until sauce is bubbly and thickened

i doubled teh recipe wen i made it 4 good friday dinner recently and added a cpl more peppers cos i love my food spicy alternatively some wasabi also works well. it was a smash

Diacetylus - I ended up doing a modified version of that (which I can't remember now ;)) about a month ago... but it turned out really well.

Anyway, this is one we made the other day which was very tasty... and good if you want to cook up more food for work lunches etc.

Apricot Chicken Casserole

Ingredients
-6-8 chicken pieces (drumsticks/breasts etc) or a similar amount cubed (what I used)
-1 packet of dry onion soup mix - french onion is ok
-1 small can of apricot nectar
-Your choice of vegies - I used:
-2 carrots
-3 medium sized potatoes
-pumpkin
-mushies
-garlic powder

Directions
-In a large casserole dish, sprinkle onion soup mix over the chicken pieces.
-Add vegies and mushrooms
-Pour apricot nectar over all, and sprinkle garlic powder over the top
-Add a small amount of water and bake at 180 until done... should take about 1 - 1.5 hrs - stir every 20 minutes or so.
-Eat!

Last edited:
katmeow said:
Diacetylus - I ended up doing a modified version of that (which I can't remember now ) about a month ago... but it turned out really well.
Yer. It requires alot of work (and stirring), but most definitely pays off in the end. The thing alot of people can't seem to get right, is the stock. It is imperative that you use a good, hearty fish-stock (or in the case of other risottos the appropiate stock that will accompany the type of meat that will be thrown in). Basically, the stock is the base of the dishe's flavour. Also, you cannot make a grande` risotto without the wine.

I will try to dig up some more risotto recipes. I am a fiend for any type of risotto and I reckon I could live off eating risotto every night of the week.
But *sigh*, one could only dream. ;)

^^ I actually used vege stock as my supermarket didn't have fish stock.

But yes, lots of wine ;)

BEST MASHED POTATOES

Take 8 potatoes - peel
Put in microwave for 9 minutes in boiling water
Mash
Add Butter (2-3 spoonfuls)
Mash
Add 1-2 Cups of low fat milk to make creamy (this is most important)
Add Grated cheese
Mash

YUMMY!!

i love love love apricot chicken! :D

I also love quail stuffed with figs, raisins, garlic & apricots :D

Here's my contribution to the thread:

Tiramisu:

ingredients

20 (approx) Sponge fingers
Strong black coffee
Regular carton Marscapone cheese
Small carton single cream
2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
Dash Marsala wine
Dash of Amaretto
Good quality cocoa powder

Method

Line the base of your gratin dish with sponge fingers and layer
half the depth of the dish. Sprinkle vanilla sugar to taste. Add
coffee, amaretto and half the Marsala to soak but not saturate. Leave to
stand and cool.

Mix the cream, Marsala, some more vanilla sugar and the Marscapone
and whisk to a loose stiffness. Spread evenly over the soaked sponge
layers and dust liberally with cocoa powder.

Place in the refrigerator until well chilled; the flavour improves
if left overnight. Finally, dust again with cocoa before serving.

I'm having a little dinner party tomorrow night and am making this for dessert.

mmm :D

kryalkastleE said:
BEST MASHED POTATOES

Take 8 potatoes - peel
Put in microwave for 9 minutes in boiling water
Mash
Add Butter (2-3 spoonfuls)
Mash
Add 1-2 Cups of low fat milk to make creamy (this is most important)
Add Grated cheese
Mash

YUMMY!!

+ a handful of chopped chives
and/or
+one chopped rasher of bacon

:D

noooo! you're all tainting the purity of mashed potatoes!

Potato
Butter (not margarine)
Milk
Salt
Pepper!

That's IT people!

;)=D

^ Agreed. Its all in how much you cook it .. and you must use a fork, not a potatoe masher for the right consistency.

/hardcore-cook-nazi-rant

PS I do get lenient on the milk versus cream tho. only cos its more evil

<3

^But adding a little cream instead of milk makes it oh-so-creamy and yermy... and I agree with the garlic addition too. :) Then again, I put garlic in everything.

i'd add an egg to the mash, but nothing else. (well, other than butter, milk, salt, pepper)
cheese, bacon wtf?
its mash, not an omelette...