• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aus Social favourite recipe thread

Hm. I'm really debating that steak recipe, to be honest.

Steak a la moe is nice and simple - freshly butcher-purchased porterhouse or scotch fillet with a heap of garlic on either side, spicy chilli on one side. Fire up a thick iron skillet/barbie, let it heat and reduce heat.
Cook on a side (the non-chilli one) until juices start pooling on top of the meat. Salt to taste, flip over and salt a tad more.
Cook till juices again appear on the top of the steak. Remove from fire.

Eat.

This leaves me with a med-rare steak. Delightful

Why did this thread die? Shame! We all need good tips for healthy homecooked meals, to make up for all those kebabs and pizzas we put down our throats all weekend.

I have to share my sensational "Lite Beef Wellington". This is actually from Weight Watchers, believe it or not, but it is fucking. awesome. My partner LOVES it, it's one of his favourite meals.

Beef Wellington ala not-so-fattening
(serves 2)

Two small to medium-sized (palm sized), thick, lean, Eye Fillet steaks. If you can only get little ones, get four small ones instead.

(tip: do NOT cheat and get cheap cuts of meat for this - it will ruin it. You WILL have to pay around $10-14 for the meat for this, but it's worth it)

Four sheets of fillo pastry
4 tbsp dip. I like sundried tomato, my b/f likes french onion. Whatever you prefer. Use low-fat dip to make this recipe even leaner.
Four small mushrooms, sliced
Cooking spray oil.

Directions: Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees C. Combine your dip and sliced mushrooms in a small bowl. Trim any visible fat off the meat. Lie your steak in the middle of two sheets of fillo (you can use 3 if you like more pastry). Spoon half the dip/mushroom mixture on top. Wrap up your steak in the pastry like a parcel, folding the edges underneath.
Place on baking tray and spray liberally all over with cooking spray oil. Repeat for 2nd steak.

Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serve with creamy mashed potatoes, broccoli and carrot. I guarantee you this is the most awesome tasting thing in the world.

Strawberry_lovemuffin said:
Why did this thread die? Shame! We all need good tips for healthy homecooked meals, to make up for all those kebabs and pizzas we put down our throats all weekend.
My thoughts exactly! This is a quick and easy recipe for the yummiest curried sausages you'll ever make!

Need:
8-9 THICK sausages ( Thin sausages just dont work the same)
1 medium-large brown onion
2 teaspoons of curry paste
3 beef stock cubes
1 Ltr of water
1/2 a cup of tomatoe sauce or Spicey Red ( Spicey Red lovers out there know what I'm talking about ;) )
6 medium potatoes
Salt
Pepper
Olive oil

Method:
This is best made in a large saucepan, dutch oven size.
Boil the sausages in a medium saucepan.
Cook the onion until translucent on a low heat in a little olive oil.
When translucent add the curry paste and stir through.
It's best to pre combine the beef stock cubes, tomatoe sauce, and Ltr of water( I find using the water that you boiled the sausages in best for flavour) together in a large measuing jug and stir together.
Add this to the already cooked onions.
Cut up the sausages into even large pieces and add to the broth.
Now peel and cut up the potatoes into quarters and also add those to the rest of the ingredients.
Bring to the boil then let simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Server with Garlic Bread or side of your choice.

Hope somebody tries this and let me know how you went with it.

Peace Out =D
eKLaB

This one was suggested by my father in law and as a big brekkie eater....I love it.

Into a small cup (ie tea cup) place on largeish mushroom upside down, place a dob of butter in mushroom and crack an egg into it. Season with salt and pepper and cover cup with gladwrap. Microwave for about 45 secs and serve on toast!

I love this as it is pretty tasty and nice and quick for brekkie before work. Give it a go!=D

Okies people... I just cooked up a piece of Porterhouse Steak, on a bed Of Chat & Sweet Potatos and pumpkin Mash served with melted blue brie on top, and a strong red wine jus... As seen below :D.... Ciao bella
PIC_0173.jpg

PIC_0174.jpg

PIC_0175.jpg

That seriously looks yummy but at the same time looks like what was left of the bad Hungry Jacks I ate the other night after I spray painted the royal dulton.

Shepherd's Pie

Shepherd's Pie:

You'll Need
- a casserole or pie dish for the oven
- minced beef, about 500g
- onion (sliced)
- carrot (sliced)
- peas! (don't even bother defrosting them)
- Beef Curry seasoning packet mix stuff (add water)
- Potato (for mashing)

Boil some water and put your peeled potatos in there, by the time you finish the frying pan stuff they'll be ready

Frying Pan Stylez: fry your beef, when its brown, add your Beef Curry seasoning. pour it straight in then add your carrot, onion, and peas. cover and simmer for a bit while you tend to the potatos...

When your potatos are soft and squishy, drain them and put the pot under the strainer thing. Mash the hell out of the potatos adding some butter and/or milk as you go along.

Take your oven dish, pour the stuff from the frying pan straight into it. then take your mashed potato and lay it on top of the beef. add some butter to the top and cook at 180°c until the butter looks golden brown.

IMPORTANT:
i've messed this up a heap of times by trying to get the dish out of the oven. you'll need TWO HANDS on EITHER SIDE otherwise there's a huge risk it'll end up topside down on the oven door. it'll be hot, so be careful!

Crunchy Tuna Casserole

You'll Need:
- A packet of Smith's chips
- A single-serve pack of instant Pasta Alfredo
- Milk & Butter for making the instant alfredo
- 500g can of tuna
- Cheese!!

Make the Pasta Alfredo as if you were just going to eat it normally. This is about as advanced as the cooking method gets here. I use half a cup of hot water and half a cup of milk, with 1tbsp of butter.

Take your chips, grab a microwavable bowl. Apply chips to bowl to form a thin bottom layer.

Take your tuna and make a layer on top of the chips. Add some cheese.

Add a layer of your Alfredo. Then add more chips and a bit more tuna to taste.

Top with some cheese and then microwave until the cheese melts.

Ok... so I've never cooked risotto, but have eaten it several times over the last week at a friend's place and loved it, so have decided my new mission is to learn how to make it... so, does anyone have an easy to follow recipe - and also, what are your favourite things to add to it?

OOH OOH PICK ME!!

Risotto is easy as.

What sort do you like?

My specialty is chicken and mushroom... you'll need:
Arborio rice (should be right where the normal rice is at the supermarket)
Chicken stock, the continental ready made type ones, like a litre
Chicken breast, we get the packs of two breasts to feed two of us for dinner and then leftovers for lunch the next day
Mushrooms
Garlic
Onion
White wine
Cream

All you need to do is chop up your mushies, chicken, garlic and onion, i do them as small as i can so they're all similar sizes, just a bit bigger than the rice.
Oil up your pan, and brown off your chicken.
Take the chicken out, put about a cup of the rice in and brown it off too, take the rice out, brown the onion, then the garlic, then chuck your rice back in.
Turn your heat down to about 60%, then pour about a cup of the stock over the rice, and stir with a wooden spoon until it is absorbed (you want the heat so the rice is sucking up the moisture, not so that it's just all evaporating off)
Do the same with a cup of wine, stir until absorbed, then repeat over again until your stock/wine is finished (ratio of wine in risotto to wine in stomach is variable ;))
Depending on how mushroomy you want it to taste, you can put them in at the beginning, halfway though, or right at the end.
I generally wait til i'm almost done before I put the chicken back in or it goes dry and icky.
When you're about 3/4 done with the stock, I put in a few splashes of cream, but that's optional depending on how rich you want it.
I find with a cup of rice, a full litre of stock and half a bottle of wine, it all mixes pretty well and when you're finished your liquid it's generally cooked well. If the rice is still a bit crunchy, you can just add water to finish the cooking off, by then your flavour is pretty much done.

Depending on what we're having with it sometimes we'll stir through some frozen peas, snow peas, pine nuts, parmesan cheese, basically anything you feel like that you think might match.

^^^ Thanks for that... I'll try it out tomorrow and let you know how it goes :)

The one I had this week had mushies, semi dried tomatoes, spinach, garlic & onion. I guess once you've worked out how to do the basic stuff, you could try anything in it.

Yup that's about it. Tomato based ones are good too, but I'm a fiend for creamy :D

Damn you joannie you've made me hungry! I want risotto now!

My fave is chicken, mushroom and leek with white wine. But I also adore king prawns, tomato and basil. But who can afford king prawns.... It's a rarity. :)

Either.... I've always used chicken (it's just a more robust flavour which works with the meditteranean influences), but I'd like to try it with fish stock. Fish stock would be preferable with a creamy fish risotto.

ch0psy's Chicken & Bacon Garlic Risotto

You need...

Arborio Rice 1 cup
2 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup Water
2 Chicken Breasts (boneless/skinless/trimmed of all fat)
4 raches Bacon
Garlic - i just used the shit from the tin that was in the fridge, but im sure a 2 cloves would be sufficient

Heat pan with a little bit of oil, throw in the rice, let it cook around for a minute or 2.

Throw in the stock/water, and let it come to the boil, stirring every now and again... after about 5 minutes, place lid of pan, and let the stock and rice just simmer.

Cook the chicken and bacon just as normally would of whatever you cook it on, grill whatever, make sure you cut up the chicken first, so it cooks in nice small little pieces, cook the bacon whole and cut up once done...

When rice starts to thicken, and most of the stock/water has evaporated, put in cooked chicken and bacon, once this is in, throw in the garlic.

Stir this all around, make happy smiley little people... Crack some salt and pepper into it for that extra yum and roberts your mothers brother.

Last edited:
You only use 1 3/4 cups of stock for a cup of rice? How does that work?
When I make risotto it needs a full litre of stock before the rice is cooked.

If you buy a rice cooker.... risotto is even easier to make. You put all your ingredients in and forget about stirring etc, it is so simple and yummo too!