• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Aus Social favourite recipe thread

joannie_mhm said:
You only use 1 3/4 cups of stock for a cup of rice? How does that work?
When I make risotto it needs a full litre of stock before the rice is cooked.

concur. and litre sounds a little on the light side from memory...

I used 2 cups of rice, a litre of stock and a prob 1 1/2 cups of wine... that was cooked fine.

Jo: I ended up putting in onion, garlic, mushies, chicken, semi dried tomatos and red capsicum. It turned out pretty well, but we were thinking it needed something more to the flavour... especially in the chicken.

Maybe more wine ;)

Cheese perhaps? Grated fresh parmesan?

Or maybe some Paprika?

(dear god woman, you know you're meant to drink the rest of that wine, don't waste it :D)

Yeah I put parmesan in as well, and usually a bit of cream.

And when I'm browning off the chicken I put a splash of wine which makes the chicken pretty nummy.

SLM... I actually had to go to work in the afternoon, so unfortunately couldn't drink the wine ;)

I did put shaved parmesan on top, and a little cream.

Was thinking of maybe adding a bit of tomato paste next time.

I just had the left overs today - and I think it tasted better ... time to stew :)

When I brown off the chicken, I generally put the onion (and bacon or ham if you're including it) in at the same time. Caramelising it first brings out a lot more of the flavour and allows it to spread through the whole dish rather than just chunks of oniony taste.

I'm also a big advocate of Parmesan cheese, I'll generally stir some through shortly before serving, just as you are taking it off the heat. Then some more parmesan sprinkled over the top with some cracked pepper = magic in a bowl. :D

^If you stir it through before taking it off the heat you can trick your partner who claims they don't like parmesan cheese ;)

Oh and the other thing I like in it is pine nuts. They're really good since they have a pretty mild flavour, they kind of absorb the flavour and they're pretty much the exact size as the rice, so they mix in really well.

Okay one of my disgustingly FATTIE but YUMMY potato bake dishes...

MooShiE's Famous Potato Bake!

4 x Large Potato peeled and sliced thinly
1 x Small container of Cream
2 x Spring Onion
5 x Pieces of Bacon (I choose the one without the fatty crap on the edges)

Get a nice sized baking dish and layer the bottom with Potato slices, pour cream over and sprinkle sliced spring onion and sliced bacon on the layer... Repeat this step so you do about 4 or 5 layers.

Put in Oven on 180 Degrees for 1 hour. Cover for the first 30mins then uncover for the last 30mins.

* If you desire add grated cheese on top to finish :)

A dish EVERYONE will love, great for BBQ's

mmm definately put grated cheese on top (in fact i'd put some in each layer too :)).

Potato bakes are so good with a golden brown cheese lid.

mmmmmmm

My recipe:

3 bongs, sandwich press, tomato, cheese, bread.

...figure it out :D

Great for those mornings/afternoons when for some odd, unexplainable reason, you can barely stomach coco-pops in milk, let alone the social contact that comes with being in the kitchen.

My mum is my recipe, anyway. She cooks good, I can't cook. Why upset the order of things?

Jesus christ people!!

I was wondering if anyone had some slightly healthier options for me to cook for dinner tonight. Preferably no pasta dishes, and although I rock at doing pie and quiche dishes I'd also prefer to avoid those as well. For desert tonight I'll be doing a plum and strawberry mix which will be warm. :D

Zandesh said:
it sucks being a chef at times...you tend to want to critisize people's recipes and cooking...:(

funny, im a chef and i wanted to critisize yours

Everyone seems to be able to cook well here...

jeez, my Bachelor Chow involves heating up some Mac and Cheese, mixing it with a tin of tuna then coating liberally in tabasco sauce, salt and pepper.

The sad thing is I pretend I am a skilled TV chef while doing it to my imaginary audience. Often talking out the steps to an empty house....

...before I scurry back to the couch to eat it while watching Foxtel.

Schnouzer you should learn to do at least a couple of meals well, us girls love it when a guy cooks for us!

My boy does a really nice warm beef salad, piss easy, make your salad (lettuce, baby spinach leaves, cherry tomatoes, whatever else you like) cook your steak, slice thinly, combine with the salad and drizzle with a dressing of balsamic vinegar and oil, season with salt and pepper.

It's so so simple but really yummy.

^ warm meat (that sounds really gross for some reason, but whatever) salads are delicious....i like the one you wrote above with added fetta. guaranteed improvement to almost anything :)

Ooh that sweet potato recipe reminds me of a pasta dish my mum used to make, just basically cut your sweet poato into cubes and roast in the oven until nice and brown, then toss through cooked fettucini with feta cut into similar sized cubes, pine nuts and an olive oil and balsamic dressing drizzled over. Yummo.